PDA

View Full Version : BSG Finale (possible spoilers)

PointC
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
What did everyone think about the ending? How about the FX?

I was quite pleased with how it ended - I like it when there is some room for interpretation. I'm guessing there will be plenty of people that hated it though since they prefer things be tightly wrapped up at the end.

It seems like the final 10 episodes weren't very heavy on the FX since it was more of a character story at the end, but that sure changed in the first hour last night didn't it? They must have saved the bulk of the VFX budget for that hour. I thought most of the shots were their usual level of greatness, but a couple of the older style Centurions were a little off. When Galactica started buckling - wow - pretty cool ending to the old girl.

I'm anxious to hear what others thought...

radams
03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
The writing was great...just a couple of confusing flashbacks...but for the most part was great....

They wanted things to be provocative...and reflective...both on the characters/stories...and for us.

One of the best endings for a series I've seen.

Felt sad for Lee...being left alone...
Kara was just what I thought...nice twist...thou in front of us the whole time.

Didn't get why Stockwell's character would kill himself...Thought he'ld try to take someone with him...

The end also left open other new stories...that would make for some cool shows as well....

Yeah, I agree where did those old Centurions come from...I thought those were only ones found on Earth...and not part of the cylon nation...oh well...it was a fun ride....and it did let the viewer complete some of the stories themselves...

ie: what happenes to the Cylon nation ?

Thou one thing I didn't like...thou a good transition....
was having Hera's remains found in our time (thou she was a child)....that meant she didn't get to grow up...that was sad...

Well, I would recommend this whole show every season...and one of the best written, acted, directed series...on TV...not just for Sci FI...but or dramatic story telling...and character development....Thanks for making star buck a girl...and thank you for hiring Katie...she was amazing !!!!!!

Cheers,

Iain
03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Never seemed that interesting to me.........

http://www.bsg.org.uk/

Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.

Iain
03-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Well... it has won critical acclaim and also has lots of viewers. Apparently quite a few boats are floating. :)

What has? The British Society of Gastroenterology?!?

thomascheng
03-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Here something that I thought was not quite explained well. A few episode back when boom FTL away from Galactica, it did some major damage to the ship. In the Finale, you see a bunch of Raiders in the ship, FTL to a location outside the Cylon Colony, but no damage was done to the ship. The same when Galactica FTL way from the colony in the end. No damage. Overall, I enjoyed the ending, but it seem details were missed during the writing. Oh well, still awesome, and the ending was enjoyable.

LW_Will
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Are you kidding? They nearly blew that part of the Galactica away. Clearly visible on the right (anterior?) side of the bay when FTL'd away. It was wicked! ;-)

Like most of the FX things in the episode... except for several of the CGI Cylons. A lot of shadows went away for a while, and there were some of the full view cylons that were a bit floaty. And there were some shots that were amazing! Especially the Clyons that walking in with Lee and his team. Wonder if there were people under that metal?

In general I absolutely loved the story.

Chilton
03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I liked it much, and I have questions.

1) If Kara was a ghost, spirit, homing pigeon, did she actually have a real human father? Wasn't she married to or dating or something, Lee's brother? With everything else in the show, they kinda explained some things. With Kara, she poof'd into thin air.

2) What the heck was the Daniel storyline? They said that 'it was cruel what you did to Daniel', and talked about 'him' for two episodes. They also said that they found it odd that during the end times on Cobal, that some of the Cylons saw apparitions of other Cylons. Doesn't that explain why Gias saw Six all the time? So does that mean he's a Cylon?

3) What was their plan? They said all along that the Cylons had a plan. It looked like their 'plan' was *kill* *kill* *kill*. That's not much of a plan.

4) So Hera died as a 'young girl'? If she had DNA that everyone else has, doesn't that mean she had babies, thus the 'everyone else', and the intermixing of the Cylon/Human blood? I bet she died when she ran away from her parents, and was eaten by homing pigeons.

5) I hoped, right up to the end, that after Admiral Adama asked Laura Roslin if she wanted to see those gazelle or whatever 'a little closer', that he was going to flip the raider upside down and plow through the herd, smacking them on the windshield. That's why they didn't let me write that episode.

6) So we're supposed to believe that after a lifetime of using modern medicine, toilet paper, plumbing, telephones, TV, tons of building supplies, and after being hunted like rabbits on New Caprica, the entire remaining human race thought it would be a good idea to plow the remaining fleet into the sun, and go 'technology commando' for the rest of their lives?

7) Did I see a commercial for Stargate Universes combined with Caprica? Is that some new cross-over TV show? Will we finally see the Asgard fleet vs. the Cylons? That one Cylon was on at least two versions of Star Trek. Can the Klingons join the fight?

But the most important question is, what the frak am I going to do for my sci-fi fix?

-Chilton

Firestar3D
03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Just to take Chilton's questions one at a time, having seen it myself:

1) Kara was probably some kind of Ghost, yes. However, she was very much alive before Maelstrom, where her viper was wasted.

2) I can't comment much on the Daniel storyline. We never saw much of it. As for Gaius Baltar, he was definitely human from what I can tell. He and Caprica Six were able to see what they saw "because of a higher power", according to some sources.

3) I think the plan was supposed to be in relation to whatthe final five were intending to do, and that was to stop the 1st war, develop the other 8 models, and then try to make contact with the humans the right way. Of course, Cavil saw to it that never happened when he killed the five and had them resurrected without their original memories.

4) I think the actual description of Mitochondrial Eve was that of a young woman and not of a girl. Still, young would have been disappointing, although probably understandable if the colonials decided to commit technological suicide.

5) No Comment ;-) I had the thought that Adama might plow his Raptor into the side of a mountain when he realised Roslin had slipped away. Happy thought huh?

6) Yes, that did seem a little implausible to me too. What was Ron thinking?

7) No idea, but I'd laugh and I'd be interested if someone came up with a Star Wreck for the Battlestar and Stargate universes.

Also, I'd have liked to see Lee in a better position than to end up alone after pining for someone for so long. Still, it fits in with his intention to explore the planet.

And I wonder if someone wants to make some fan fiction where modern humans discover the remains of the raptors and vipers that were landed on the Earth (assuming that the last humanoid Cylons didn't fly them off into the sun once they were close to death themselves).

jasonwestmas
03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I got lost as usual LOL! That's a good sign actually seeing as I haven't seen too many episodes, it means there is a lot going on in the story, which is really cool. I may get the series later and watch it all.

MachineClaw
03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Loved the 1st hour - really disapointed in the second hour.

Now I find out that more questions are going to be revieled in 'BSG: The Plan' grrrr.

Daniel story line will be explored in Caprica series.

I loved the Adama president wrap up, that was sweet and got me choked up. the last 2 minutes of head-six and head-baltar rambling and the robots in windows was a bit too much.

Starbuck going poof was HORRIBLE!

I dunno, it's a TV show and writers always have a hard time, this finale left me feeling much better than The Sopranos ending.

Galactica's back braking shot was amazing and sad it had me stunned when I was watcing that.

jin choung
03-22-2009, 02:09 AM
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!

oh my freakin' goodness!

that was SUCH AN AWESOME ENDING!!!!

throughout the entirety of the show, i was wondering WTF was up with the greek mythology religion?! how does that fit in!

HAHA, THEY ARE THE SOURCE OF GREEK MYTHOLOGY! WOW! and even MONOTHEISM (which is actually cylon born... WOW!) ! WOW!

and the religious stories of "angels" and "the fall" all of those things... BSG positioned itself to be the SOURCE of all those archetypal stories... wow!

totally ties into the whole thing about how older civs had unexpectedly advanced technology and how some people speculate it comes from extraterrestrial sources....

WOW!

and the end montage of modern robots... foreboding and awesome!

geez... just... wow.... blown away. brilliant and daring and cheeky... and to see balthar's character break down at the end, that felt really real and touching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the MOMENT that i saw the continent of africa, i was saying to myself- WTF?!?! and when i saw iraq and the other continents i was really going... WTF?!?!?!

and then they showed tribal humans and i was really really going WTF?!

i guessed it the moment i saw africa but wow... they went balls out and did it. that is awesome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so they never showed the continents on the "original" earth of the show? i remember being somewhat frustrated at not seeing those geographical details more clearly but i'm not sure if i'm remembering it right.

holy f... they just totally paid everything off.... embraced the supernatural elements - kara really died and the "new kara" was an angel. so were the "delusions" of gaius and 6 had of each other and were the narrators at the end.

what a fing ending! and starting the episode with an ellipsis - f all the stuff about the rescue. no big action sequence. cuz it doesn't matter. cut it out. cut to the chase - they get hera. now let's finish it. ballsy.

wow.

wow.

jin

p.s. i had to work late friday so i was totally bummed that i missed it so i'm just jumping into the discussion now cuz i just caught it on my dvr... WOW....

jin choung
03-22-2009, 02:18 AM
oh man, and also how the ending nicely explains the "alternate dimension" aspects of the show like the weird octagonal paper documents and also makes otherwise strange anachronisms like strip clubs work in the context of "what has been will be again" cyclicalness....

geez...

wow

stunning...

i am stunned...

jin

IMI
03-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah, but did you enjoy it, Jin? ;)

Kuzey
03-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Cool...I can't wait to see it. :)

I'm up to the part where they finally made it to Earth, so that would be the end of season four.

Kuzey

lwanmtr
03-22-2009, 03:24 PM
My biggest complaint was with over use of flashbacks. Who cares what they did on Caprica before the attack? It was filler..did nothing to move the story forward, or even move the characters forward. Definately didn't need to see Adama blowing chunks on himself in an alley. The Apollo/Starbuck affair had already been established early in the series, so that was a pointless flashback to be sure.

I think there would be some folks who opt to go without tech, but not everyone..I mean, if nothing else they make great apartments (given that most of those ships can land). What did they do with the raptors, vipers and shuttles that they used to get down to the planet?

I didnt care for the whole 'manipulative god' aspect. I didnt mind that they had their religions (humans and cylons), but to have it all end up being orchestrated by 'god' or whatever is kind of a copout.

Why would Al (or whatever his cylon name is) blow his own head off? Didnt get that move.

I wanted a more extended battle.

I get the feeling that they didnt really plan to end it this season, as there were things that either never got explained or were kinda rushed in the last few episodes.

Overall, I liked it, though.

As for the spinoffs...I dunno, I'll prolly watch them (at least the first episodes), but I have a feeling they wont be up to par.

So, when is RDM gonna tackle Buck Rogers in The 25th Century? LOL

jin choung
03-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I wanted a more extended battle.

actually, i read an interview with rdm saying that that's what he wanted to avoid. he didn't want most of the last episode being about a battle. he wanted to focus on the characters.

and i think that was the right move. there are a lot of movies even that get lost with action for action's sake... the matrix sequels being a huge offender. sometimes, it's better to cut in late... just like with the cylon internment camp.

jin

lwanmtr
03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Not saying it was a bad choice keeping it short..i love seeing things blow up. hehe

Chilton
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Why would Al (or whatever his cylon name is) blow his own head off? Didnt get that move.

My better half informs me the original script had him die at the hands of Tie (Tye? Tii?), but that the actor called the writers after reading it, and said he thought his character would rather off himself than die at the hands of the five or the humans, and they agreed.

-Chilton

cyatic
03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I agree where did those old Centurions come from...I thought those were only ones found on Earth...and not part of the cylon nation...oh well...it was a fun ride....and it did let the viewer complete some of the stories themselves...

Hi,
In the mini-series Caprica Six tells Baltar the older models are still around, they still have their uses.

lwanmtr
03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Ya..the old cylons make good grunts..hehe

cyatic
03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,
I must say, I really enjoyed the series ending. I thought the Starbuck ending was pretty good and fitting, considering the show borrows a lot from religion and mythology. I mean the colonies are named after the twelve zodiac signs. Kobol is an anagram of Kolob (Mormon), which is a celestial body, origin of God. You have Greek names being used: Apollo, Athena, Hera, even Zarek called Adama Zeus. Thereís also Monotheism and Polytheism. Having Starbuck being an angel showing them the way to a habitable planet was good.
Now that thatís done, my favorite parts! I like the way they played the theme song from the old show when the fleet was heading towards the sun. The museum being revisited was cool. Having the Raptors jump from there and having the side of the hangar bay blow out was cool. While Boomer redeemed herself, she also got what was coming to her, same with Tory. I think Cavil took himself out because he didnít want to be taken alive, especially by measly humans. He knew it was over. The Galactica ramming the Cylon Colony was good too. It reminded me of Robotech. Remember when the SDF-1 punched into the Zentradi ship with one of its arms and let loose destruction!
Overall the finale was awesome. I think they tied up a lot of loose ends, or at least gave us some closure. Mr. Moore did a good job closing out his story!
The special effects were awesome. I can see they worked their butts off for the finale. Some of the "old" cylons looked a little funky, but it didn't distract to much. Great Work!!!

Puguglybonehead
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Fantastic! Definitely not disappointed. Some of the storylines did not wrap up in a way I would have expected them to, especially Kara disappearing on poor old Lee, right at that final moment. Talk about an eternal case of bl.....oops, never mind... ;)

Loved Ron Moore's Hitchcock moment there at the end. Priceless! Overall, this series was so well done, most all of the other sci-fi shows are now almost completely unwatchable for me (except Firefly), they really raised the bar of the genre that high.

Looking forward to the special in the summer, but I'll probably wait to hear what my cable-subscribing friends think of 'Caprica' before I decide to try to catch it.

radams
03-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi,
In the mini-series Caprica Six tells Baltar the older models are still around, they still have their uses.

Yeah, But the Centurions on Earth...(which were the old BSG Centurions) were stated as not seen before by Six and others...thus they shouldn't be part of the Cylon Nation on this BSG...the comment Caprica Six stated...was the new BSG Metal Centurion models...she was refering to...the old ones were only on earth.

Cheers,

radams
03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up...I haven't seen razor...and I'll go back and check out the original miniseries...

Thou I would also suggest checking out the first episodes when they got to earth...cause I thought they had the conversation I mentioned...

Cheers,

Ray

byte_fx
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Haven't watched it yet - just kid of fast forwarded thru a bit.

But have read several seemingly in-depth reviews so I do know it didn't end the way I hoped it would.

Hoped it would end with the final seconds revealing that all the humans of the fleet were actually an advanced version of Cylon. Or at least human/Cylon mix.

bfx

geothefaust
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought it was great. To sum my thoughts up - Jin said everything I was thinking! I really like how it all ended, we are the outcome of the human-cylon solution.

I liked the cyclical posturing of it all.

To sum up the "old" cylon mode questions here, it seems some people didn't watch the entire series... In short, the "old" cylon models have been in the show all the way. The ones we saw on "old Earth" are different models entirely.

As for the finding of the remains of Herra, I don't think that she died too young, I believe they said "young woman" so she probably did have children. Otherwise we wouldn't be the offspring of the human/cylon solution. :) But that's just my interpretation.