PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch mode looks rough

Graham Nichols
08-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi,

It's my second week with the beast we call Lightwave and I'm fully hooked now!

I am attempting to model a car, which is tough (for me). The problem I have is that when I hit TAB to view the model in subpatch mode it looks rougher than the standard smooth shade view mode! See pic below.

What am I doing wrong please? I tried changing the sub-Patch level in the General Options dialog but it did not help.

kind regards, Graham

UnCommonGrafx
08-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Press 'w'

Press 'ctrl g'

See any 1 or 2 point polys? Delete'em. (Or, at the very least cut them to another layer.

That should help. What looks like happened is that you have created some extra geometry that is working against you. Some of those points aren't connected as they should be. Hope that gets you going.

08-16-2003, 04:40 PM
It takes great skill to make that happen !
1) I suspect your basic poly model has far too many polys for the stage you're modling at.
2) I think you may have accidentaly created very small/thin polys at those pinch points. Try 'merge points' - and if that car is real size use something like 10mm rather than 'automatic'. then select and elete any 1 or 2 point polys. now try tab.
3) leave thing like sub patch levels well alone untill you've been at it at least a month !

Graham Nichols
08-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Many thanks for those pointers.

As a newbie I'm making all the newbie errors. Tough for me but great entertainment for you. He he.

Never mind, I'll get there in time.

Thanks again. Now it's back to my buddy the 'u' key :)

cheers, Graham