PDA

View Full Version : LW and vista 64

clagman
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
IF anybody even thinks about this, be sure that either you ARE NOT on a domain or make sure to disable UAC. Two horrible days of trial and error figuring out why half my apps didn't work fully (including LW). Beware.

Once you disable it it works great though.

mattclary
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Can you give more info? What were your symptoms? I use Vista on a domain regularly about 50/50 with UAC enabled, and it's rare I have a major problem. When UAC is enabled, even though you are an admin, in ways you aren't "really" an admin. Even saying "allow" on UAC, some things go t1ts up when it is enabled.

p.s. Vista blows. Win 7 is pretty cool though.

guardonduty
03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree. That UAC is an issue. If your run "SPYBOT" make sure you disable UAC. It tells you "you are not the ADMIN". Found it out while helping a client. Made me look smart. I think Malware\spyware\viruses take advantange of this "configuration".

clagman
03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Symptoms were ranging from not being able to create signature in Outlook to files not saving properly (including the package from scene) unless you specifically ran the program as "run as administrator" even if you had local admin priv on the machine. Drives would keep disconnecting and constant error messages. Sometimes the software would run anyway and sometimes not. Not being able to use IE for anything or tell the OS that Firefox was the default etc. Anyway once we disabled it everything works great. I think the problem really springs from the "dual security token" situation that Vista creates.

Matt
03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I just turned it off, never had an issue since.

Larry_g1s
03-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I might be having to switch one of my PC's (my main one I use) to vista x64 from XP x64 due to some of the problems I'm experiencing with the XP x64 ATI drivers. I don't want to...but often with large poly objects in Modeler, my screen will keep refreshing (flicker), with sometimes crashing. So I'm figuring if the latest ATI drivers for XP x64 don't solve it, I might have to jump to Vista x64 to see if the drivers are better for a more supported OS.

SO....what is UAC, and where do I disable it? (I have Vista x64 on one of my render machines)

AdamAvenali
03-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I might be having to switch one of my PC's (my main one I use) to vista x64 from XP x64 due to some of the problems I'm experiencing with the XP x64 ATI drivers. I don't want to...but often with large poly objects in Modeler, my screen will keep refreshing (flicker), with sometimes crashing. So I'm figuring if the latest ATI drivers for XP x64 don't solve it, I might have to jump to Vista x64 to see if the drivers are better for a more supported OS.

SO....what is UAC, and where do I disable it? (I have Vista x64 on one of my render machines)

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-disable-UAC :thumbsup:

mattclary
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Symptoms were ranging from not being able to create signature in Outlook to files not saving properly (including the package from scene) unless you specifically ran the program as "run as administrator" even if you had local admin priv on the machine. Drives would keep disconnecting and constant error messages. Sometimes the software would run anyway and sometimes not. Not being able to use IE for anything or tell the OS that Firefox was the default etc. Anyway once we disabled it everything works great. I think the problem really springs from the "dual security token" situation that Vista creates.

OK, as much as I dislike Vista, never seen any of that. :gotpics:

mattclary
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM

You might be better off just getting an nVidia video card.

User Account Control

Start > Run > msconfig
Go to Tools tab, select "Disable UAC", hit "Launch". Close the DOS box and reboot.

Larry_g1s
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
You might be better off just getting an nVidia video card.That's plan C. Plan C is more expensive, so that's why I'm trying the others first.

Plan A= update to latest drivers on XP x64
Plan B= Install Vista x64
Plan C= Get nVidia card.

IMI
03-20-2009, 04:30 PM

I wouldn't count on Vista solving your ATI problem. The only thing that can solve that is Nvidia. ;)
But I would wait for Windows 7 at this point. If all you have to deal with is a little flicker or crash in Modeler in poly-heavy models, it's not really worth upgrading the OS to an OS that's going to be replaced soon by Windows 7.
Why not just hide parts of the model you're not working on if it's a problem?

Larry_g1s
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't count on Vista solving your ATI problem. The only thing that can solve that is Nvidia. ;)lol. I just figure the driver support for Vista on the ATI side has got to be better then the XP x64 sense the XP x64 OS isn't the currently OS. But, that's why I'm leaving nVidia option on the table.

But I would wait for Windows 7 at this point. If all you have to deal with is a little flicker or crash in Modeler in poly-heavy models, it's not really worth upgrading the OS to an OS that's going to be replaced soon by Windows 7.
Why not just hide parts of the model you're not working on if it's a problem?I'm looking to go to Win 7 when it's available. But it's not just what's visible that is the problem (though that seems to be more so the case). It's just a bit difficult. When is Win 7 even suppose to be released?

IMI
03-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm looking to go to Win 7 when it's available. But it's not just what's visible that is the problem (though that seems to be more so the case). It's just a bit difficult. When is Win 7 even suppose to be released?

How much VRam does your ATI card have? Maybe it's just running low on memory with a model with too many polys. Just a guess, really. :)

I think I read somewhere that Windows 7 might be out as soon as August this year. Seems kind of optimistic, but you never know.

Larry_g1s
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
How much VRam does your ATI card have? Maybe it's just running low on memory with a model with too many polys. Just a guess, really. :)

I think I read somewhere that Windows 7 might be out as soon as August this year. Seems kind of optimistic, but you never know.I'm running a Radeon HD 3850 256MB DDR3.

IMI
03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Well I'm no expert on video memory, and know little about ATI, but that seems kind of low, though it is within the minimum requirements for LW.
Personally, I think 512 at the minimum. I have 640 MB vram in my nvidia 8800 GTS and that seems fine for everything I do in LW.

But you ought to seriously consider going the nvidia route for LW. I've read thousands of complaints over the years regarding ATI and 3D apps, very very few with nvidia. ATI's consumer grade cards and drivers are designed mostly for gaming, whereas nvidia is somewhat more flexible.
ATI also has their FireGL line though, which are designed for 3D apps and CAD.

Another thing to remember though is LW uses your CPU mostly for its OpenGL - the GPU is used very little, although the vram is used to its full capacity.

Larry_g1s
03-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Well I'm no expert on video memory, and know little about ATI, but that seems kind of low, though it is within the minimum requirements for LW.
Personally, I think 512 at the minimum. I have 640 MB vram in my nvidia 8800 GTS and that seems fine for everything I do in LW.

But you ought to seriously consider going the nvidia route for LW. I've read thousands of complaints over the years regarding ATI and 3D apps, very very few with nvidia. ATI's consumer grade cards and drivers are designed mostly for gaming, whereas nvidia is somewhat more flexible.
ATI also has their FireGL line though, which are designed for 3D apps and CAD.

Another thing to remember though is LW uses your CPU mostly for its OpenGL - the GPU is used very little, although the vram is used to its full capacity.Thanks. I need a new one for my home PC, so maybe I'll take this one there, and get an nVidia. Thanks again.

AbnRanger
03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
IF anybody even thinks about this, be sure that either you ARE NOT on a domain or make sure to disable UAC. Two horrible days of trial and error figuring out why half my apps didn't work fully (including LW). Beware.

Once you disable it it works great though.
I tell ya'....Vista is getting under my skin something fierce. I'm just getting sick of half the programs I re-install from my older XP 64 dual core not working properly. Today it's Avid Liquid Edition...spent half of the day trying to troubleshoot why my audio isn't working with the program.
Combustion...some of the simplest things like copy/pasting layers, or deleting operators don't work right. I have to go to schematic mode to get it to work. Particles don't work at all since I reinstalled it on Vista. On my ATI 4850 card, I've installed the last 4 driver updates and still can't bring up the Catalyst Control Center.
It's like Microsoft has decided to hassle it users in order to address security issues...and you have to literally be an IT guy to troubleshoot half the crap that they added since XP

The Windows Live Family Safety thing blocks every site you go to just about, and you have to uninstall the damn thing just to make it leave you alone. I've been a PC guy until Vista. Now I hate it with a raging passion! I sure would like to give Bill an ear full right about now. Maybe sic ole' Chuck, here, on em :)

AbnRanger
03-20-2009, 07:00 PM

I think I read somewhere that Windows 7 might be out as soon as August this year. Seems kind of optimistic, but you never know.

NVidia might be a decent option...one that I may have to try myself, but that doesn't explain the problems I'm having with particles in Combustion on Vista 64. On my older machine, with XP 64 and an ATI X800 I had no issues at all. I'm pretty sure it's ATI/Vista drivers related since my new machine is a Dell Studio that came with an ATI 3450 (shared VRAM). I bought newer card mainly for this reason. I thought it was just having a tough time with a slack OEM card.

Until Vista, I hadn't really had any problems with ATI cards and they've always been the best "Bang for Your Buck." I guess it's time to give in, and go with NVidia

hrgiger
03-20-2009, 07:09 PM
The only problem I had running Lightwave under Vista pro 64bit is that with UAC enabled, I was having some issues of my navigation buttons not appearing. It was weird, sometimes I would see half a magnifying glass or it would be missing all together. Or my translate view button wouldn't show. The button would be there but the icon wouldn't be. Turning UAC off (which is just annoying anyway) cleared it up.

IMI
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
The only problem I had running Lightwave under Vista pro 64bit is that with UAC enabled, I was having some issues of my navigation buttons not appearing. It was weird, sometimes I would see half a magnifying glass or it would be missing all together. Or my translate view button wouldn't show. The button would be there but the icon wouldn't be. Turning UAC off (which is just annoying anyway) cleared it up.

I tried that by re-enabling UAC and didn't see that problem with Vista Ultimate x64 and LW 9.6. Nothing unusual with the display, nothing missing.
Sounds as if it was interfering with your video driver somehow. Probably thought that magnifying glass was a virus and valiantly came to your rescue before you ended up blowing up your PC and killing the entire internet with it.

Nevertheless, if it works with UAC off, that's fine too. Personally I'd just as soon have a way to completely purge UAC altogether. And have it take all the rest of the nannyware along with it. ;)

User Account Control. Heh. I wave my private parts at you, UAC, I fart in your general direction.
With it turned on, it's anything but user control. It's more like Windows' own little version of HAL.

jaxtone
03-22-2009, 02:59 AM
UAC sucks! Anytime you try to install or update softwares it totally screws the processes! Kill UAC!