PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 3ds files problem

Costanel
03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Because the LW exported 3ds-files didn't work correctly in a simulator I'm building, I downloaded the 3dStorm 3ds export plugin.

Funny thing is, the plugin exports the files perfectly, but the textures are exported in the previous selected for export folder. (so in a different folder than the model).

Did anyone experience these problems as well, and even better: how do I fix this without manually moving the textures everytime? Since I need to export a lot of models in different folders, this is quite annoying.
I couldn't find alternatives for good export plugins for .3ds, does anyone perhaps know a (free) alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Wolvy_UK
03-21-2009, 06:00 PM
The Silo 2 demo can save to 3ds format. Once the trial has ended it can still be used as a free file converter. I' ve never needed to save 3ds files, but give it a try.

RLM
03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Just a thought, but have you considered the OBJ export instead. Works pretty well. Firstly it retains quads, so you can use meshsmooth in max, very much like sub-d/nurbs in lightwave. Secondly it retains the UVs. Thirdly if you use Parts in LW, this information is included in the export. When imported into MAX the object will come in with easy to select elements.

The only thing to remember with OBJ export is to make sure your lightwave surface has the UV map selected in it (for instance in your colour slot), otherwise it won't export the UVs.

RLM

Costanel
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
OBJ works, but makes the models purple, even when set the colour to white. :)

Been trying to get some models into 3ds Max 9, with correct colour, smoothing and pivots. I have several options, but they either:
1) don't export colour(.OBJ)
2) don't export 2nd layer(base .3ds)
3) don't export pivots & polygons(.DAE) or...
4) don't export seperated meshes(DStorm .3ds)

Is there another way to correctly get models from Lightwave to 3ds Max 9?
I could tweak them in 3ds max, but I need to edit a lot of models.

Thanks in advance.

SteveH
04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Have you tried Accutrans? It's always worked well for me - and it's free for a month I think - then only 20 bucks. A bargain!:thumbsup:

http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html

Costanel
04-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the link, looks like a really usefull program.
Only problem though is that it has a really cluttered interface, with hard to navigate through...

Is there an option to move objects & pivots in this program, and where can I find it?
How can I view pivots?

Thanks in advance.

SteveH
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry I can't help you. I'm always using it to bring stuff into Lightwave not out. Surely someone will be able to help you though.

MicroMouse
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Costanel, I am not sure of everything you want to do.

If you want help with AccuTrans email me at micromouse @ accesscomm.ca and explain what you need.

Wayne

Costanel
06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Sorry for the bump, but it wasn't worth creating a new thread.

I'm currently trying to export LowPoly houses with UV's that are not tiled.
(so UV-mode set to "reset" in LW)
No matter what type of export I use, all other programs fail to display this correctly. I tried Blender, 3ds Max, AccuTrans with 3ds, lwo, obj... All show the textures as tiled textures or not at all.

How can I put textures on top of the base colour, without have to create new(larger) textures for the whole poly?

The main goal is to export to 3ds Max for a client...

Thanks in advance.

LW_Will
06-28-2009, 03:44 PM
using obj requires you to create a UV map (one for the object, that can handle different parts of the object) and apply color maps to the UV (color, spec, bump, etc) ... this will work perfectly, but it is a PITA.

MicroMouse
06-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I've never tried UV mode set to "reset" in LightWave.

If you want me to look at it, export just the roof to a LWO file and email it with the texture to micromouse at accesscomm.ca

Wayne

Costanel
07-07-2009, 04:04 AM
I sent you a mail. Hopefully you can help fix this for Accutrans.
Although I've found workarounds, it would be very beneficial if AccuTrans can do this as well.

3ds Max does support "reset" UV-maps, when exporting as 3ds and importing the textures manually.

Regards.

MicroMouse
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Following is the email I sent to Costanel:

When you transfer 3D models between programs you have to model according to the limitations of the file format used to do the transfer. A feature used in the source program may not be available in either the file format used for the transfer or in the destination program.

AccuTrans only supports UV maps done on the color channel. It does not support planar, spherical, cylindrical, cubic or procedural mapping which does not use UV coordinates. For example, cubic mapping may not be supported by the file format or it may not be supported in the destination software or implemented differently in the destination software.

The roof in your Villa uses cubic projection and as it is not UV mapping it is not supported by AccuTrans.

'Reset' for UV mapping is a special case for tiled textures. The 'reset' flag indicates that all texture coordinates outside of the 0.0 to 1.0 UV space are replaced with the base color of the layer rather than values from the texture image. As AccuTrans does not support the 'reset' flag it shows the texture as tiled. AccuTrans could be changed to support the 'reset' flag but since the 'reset' flag can not be saved to either the .3ds or .obj file there is no point in supporting it.

Do not use the 'reset' flag and instead either create a larger texture that covers the area of the mesh in question or add more polygons so that you can add more surfaces for the area in question.

.3ds files are a very old file format and there limitations. Each mesh saved to the file can not exceed a total of about either 65000 vertices or 65000 triangles. If the mesh is too large it has to be broken down into smaller meshes.

Each layer name can only have a maximum of 10 characters and all long layer names must be truncated to this length.

The .3ds file comes from the DOS operating system days when file names had a 8.3 limit which means that file names have a maximum of 8 characters and file extensions have a maximum of 3 characters. 3DS Max will only read texture names that meet the 8.3 limit. Due to the way the file format specification was written, long file names can actually be written to the file and AccuTrans and some other programs support long file names in .3ds files but 3DS Max does not.

When you have a 3D file loaded in AccuTrans, the 'Tools -> Relocate Texture Files" menu command will allow you to relocate the textures to a new folder. If you batch convert files, using the "File -> Batch" menu command you can relocate the files to a new folder during the batch conversion process.

I'll add the pivot point for LWO layers to the AccuTrans database and then contact you again.

Wayne