PDA

View Full Version : Creating a shape made out of ball objects

WaxSteel
03-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi All

Currently trying to create a cone/ vortex shape object out of uniformly packed, equidistant, identicaly sized balls.

Started by using point clone plus with a cone in the background but the cone points are not equidistant so I get gaps at the edges & then it gets dense in the centre.

Tried the greebles plugin/ script - almost works for me but because the polygons are not perfectly square over the shape of the cone (they go from rectangular, to square to rectangular) - then the resultant balls are also squished to match. I could accept the scaling if it were uniform.

Lastly thinking of creating layers of ever decreasing spline curves in a cone shape & then using rail clone on each strata to build up the cone out of balls - very slow.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Jockomo
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure if this is quite what you are looking for but anyway...

make an array of balls

make an object of the overall shape you need, give it a different texture name

boolean the balls you don't need

select the polygons of the balls that were left cut by the shape object (w) and then select connected (]) and delete them; leaving you with only intact balls roughly in the shape of your other object, but equally distributed.

TonyT3D
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Have you tried the Create > Primitives > More > Bubbles? Check the modeler manual to see if it can do what you want.