PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful world of the Job :D

Skinner3D
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I finish college this coming semester, and I would really like to go into the 3D world as my first choice for job. So a couple of questions :D

Is there somewhere where I can go to see what's available to me?

Is there somewhere where I can go to see a listing of various 3D studios and game studios in the US?

How do I find the slightly out of the norm/way jobs, that use 3D but don't directly advertise that?

Any specific do's and don'ts that you Lightwavers have picked up over the years?

:help: :D Thanks in advance :D

AdamAvenali
03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
i guess my best advice is to develop skills in networking. i hate to sound cliche with the whole "it's about who you know" line, but it does help. i got my current job by staying in contact with my fellow college grads and a solid recommendation.

i found sites such as Monster totally useless (i.e. i would type in 3D artist in the search and the top five responses were for "sandwich artists" at Subway).

i also picked up the book "How to get a job in computer animation" for its comprehensive directory of studios in the back http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Job-Computer-Animation/dp/0974323004/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237498579&sr=8-1. the only problem with the book now is that it was written in 2003 and it is probably outdated now (they talk about making your demo on VHS haha.

good luck and keep us updated :thumbsup:

OlaHaldor
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm not using my (lack of......) 3D skills, though I must say - networking is what keeps me going these days. I worked a year at a media school, and got to know some very promising young film makers. Since that time, I've developed a certain love and experience for color grading, something that's taken for granted by most people producing films. But as soon as I've put something I've graded online, the contacts and friends from the school I worked at are flooding me with music videos, short films and feature film pilots - and the money is good. All thanks to being the nice guy I am, who keeps in touch with those creative, productive guys.

That's my story so far, and it's only developed for about three to four years. The hope is without a doubt to join a post production house of some sort to do color grading for bigger stuff. The day will come - just don't know when.

Another thing : put together a demo - a "behind the scenes" and build up to the final effect is always interesting, and dare to make that phone call or nag (don't literally do it!) on peoples email about an interview!

Good luck :)

Otterman
03-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Id suggest getting in touch with creative agencies to springboard your career. Dont bother with regular agencies...u mention what you do and they will try and hook you up with a job at soddn pcworld. Id recommend angling for freelance work....its a great way in, ul gain loads of experience quick and open up plenty of opportunity for permenant employment. Be warned though-it will be a tough and steep leaning curve but if you tenatious and talented enough ul soon become a success within the industry!

Jump in the deep end-ul soon learn to swim!