PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #30-Careful, It Could Kill You!!

R.Feeney
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #30-Careful, It Could Kill You!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

Subject - Careful, It Could Kill You!!
Read into it what you will, but the Universe is just full of deadly things from guns to microscopic viruses to massive Earth shattering asteroids and all sorts in between. Of course there are also those deadly things that exist in your imagination, all are fair game.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 25 March 2200 GMT.

Iain
03-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice one.
Starting to get a feel for your psyche, Mr Feeney!

R.Feeney
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
What? a bit messed up and full of drugs :hey:

flakester
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Oooooh, nice subject R.Feeney. This sould tun out a few doozies. :thumbsup:

I'm away the weekend, but that gives me time to get a few ideas down for when I get back!

--
flakester.

Shuggs
03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm in this one. :)

AdamAvenali
03-19-2009, 08:10 PM
so i may be taking the title a little too literally, but techincally i feel this could kill you, if it were real haha i was inspired when i was playing my DS and on more than one occasion one of these guys took poor mario's life. he just couldn't jump high enough...

modeling time: 52 minutes
texture/light/render time: about 30 minutes

JCG
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
A Rambutan. About 7 minutes to model. If it wasn't for DW4 I would have opened it in half and shown the yummy but slithery, slippery fruit inside so here's a picture: http://mlsquier.blogspot.com/2008/08/ramutan-haiku.html. Yes, there's a large, hard seed in there. Really dangerous, at least according to motherly advice.

I'll try to get in a peanut before the week is over.

sampei
03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
cut/
piranha plants...awesome idea :thumbsup:

Iain
03-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm sure you are all aware that in the right hands (CIA cough cough) this is an extremely deadly weapon............

IMI
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Heh. Looks good Iain. :thumbsup:

My first entry...
The Mystery Panic Button.
What does it do?
How badly do you need to find out?
You know you want to press it...go right ahead. :devil:

Modeling time, about 30 minutes.
I didn't worry too much about the render, since it's really just a joke. ;)

IMI
03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
JCG, I love that Rambutan - looks awesome, really.

Kickass job on the piranha plant, seduceandrob.

:thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Haha...you guys are too quick for me, I still need to come up with an idea :D

Nice work so far.

Kuzey

art
03-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Nice entries. This challenge should be fun to watch. I have one idea of my own too.

Mark The Great
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I like the topic! I have ideas for a few more.

Around 5 minutes of modeling and 30-45 minutes texturing and lighting.

Don't drown.

Nangleator
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I've got a few ideas for this week. Here's the first and easiest of mine. About 38 minutes of modeling, most of it tweaking. I should have used reference, but I thought it would be faster to just wing it.

Interesting use of the car pain node, no?

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Kill1.jpg

RudySchneider
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
One full hour. Gotta work on some surfacing...

Nangleator
03-20-2009, 11:09 PM
34 minutes modeling.

Don't swim off this pier. It could kill you!

Weepul
03-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Don't do it.

(1 hour modeling total for all elements.)

KillMe
03-21-2009, 05:40 AM
knowone gonna do a big red button?

colkai
03-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Weepul - very clever, an almost "subliminal" don't drink N drive advert poster you have there! :D

Nangleator
03-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't drive the Weepulmobile!

Excellent lighting and render! And that umbrella impresses the hell out of me!

Nangleator
03-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Very exacting modeling, RudySchneider.

My best friend was forced to take a nap by his angry mother when he was 4. He had to relieve himself, but he was afraid to make his mom more angry. So he found a hole in the wall...

Funny thing is, it worked out for him. He finished, got back in bed, then saw a pretty blue light flicker through the room for a couple seconds.

Lucky boy.

art
03-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Wery nice, weepul. All in 60 minutes :) I love the render too, colors, glass, composition, etc. What's the secret to smooth DOF? Or is it simply brute force high AA?

Here is my entry. I've been considering getting one of this for some time.

Weepul
03-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Weepul - very clever, an almost "subliminal" don't drink N drive advert poster you have there! :D
Yup, though what with the lighting and all, it's almost a "drink and drive" poster. 8~

Don't do it! Careful, you might kill others, too! I'm fortunate to have not lost anyone I knew to a drunken driver, but I've come across enough people online reporting that someone they knew, respected, or loved had just been smooshed...

Now back to our regularly scheduled big red buttons and pier monsters, but I think I might have one or two more "serious" ideas. :hey:

Excellent lighting and render! And that umbrella impresses the hell out of me!
Thank you. :)

Wery nice, weepul. All in 60 minutes :) I love the render too, colors, glass, composition, etc. What's the secret to smooth DOF? Or is it simply brute force high AA?
Well, 60 minutes for modeling. Scene setup/texturing was longer, as usual for me. Yes, AA is one answer, but in this case I went over the noisy areas with the blur brush in Photoshop. ;)

Here is my entry. I've been considering getting one of this for some time.
Ooo, very nice! That looks just about spot on, complete with modeled rivets. The only part that seems a smidgen "off" is the hooked part off the hinge - it somehow looks a little unrefined compared to the rest.

Iain
03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
"Hey Sarge, forensics think they have something over here."

IMI
03-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Totally excellent entries so far. :thumbsup:

Scissors - they're pretty safe for the most part, but as your mom always warned you when you were a kid, never, ever run with them. ;)

Modeling time about 50 minutes...which is about 20 minutes longer than I would have expected. Started out in subpatches, but I had to freeze it to polys to finish it. Don't ask why, please. ;)

I had to skimp on the render because I'm involved in other aspects of Lightwavery that need my attention, but I wanted to do this to get my mind off my current rigging nightmare for a while...

art
03-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Ooo, very nice! That looks just about spot on, complete with modeled rivets. The only part that seems a smidgen "off" is the hooked part off the hinge - it somehow looks a little unrefined compared to the rest.

Thanks :). Yup, it needed more work, but I ran out of time.

IMI
03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
"Hey Sarge, forensics think they have something over here."

That's just hilarious... in a real kinda disturbing way, and man, what a cool render. :thumbsup:

Iain
03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
That's just hilarious... in a real kinda disturbing way, and man, what a cool render. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Just wanted to see if I could make an interesting render featuring paper clips until I found time to model something else :)

Kuzey
03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I went steampunk with this one :D

I stopped at 64 minutes to be fair and all...I'm going to have to finished this one for sure.

Kuzey

RollerJesus
03-22-2009, 09:45 PM
A rather typical FPrime render from me. Inspired by the song, "Let's Not Sh!t Ourselves" by Bright Eyes and Feeney's earlier comment.

Under 40 minutes for the modelling and about 30 minutes in the scene setup/texture/lighting/render effort. Gotta say, LightB!tch and FPrime makes this type of render a real breeze. I spent most of those 30 minutes tooling with the glass surface. (Not dialectric) I could use some pointers on getting the whiskey looking right though...

Great entries by all. I really dig Iain's paperclip render and everything about weepul's entry up there is so nice!

Objects, scene, etc all available.

`RJ

flakester
03-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Absolutely fanatastic entries from everyone so far, ace stuff. :thumbsup:
I can see I'm gonna have to put my thinking cap on to reach the same level that you guys are already at.

--
flakester.

Weepul
03-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Careful, or you won't even hear it coming. 8/

The earbud was CC subd's, frozen for booleaning in the holes. Only the earbud itself definitely qualifies within the hour limit, though the cords might also have come in under that time since I wasn't keep as close track as I ought to have been. (Was simultaneously watching a UStream... :p)

Iain
03-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Careful, or you won't even hear it coming. 8/

Nice! Love the grill texture.

IMI
03-23-2009, 06:10 AM
I went steampunk with this one :D

I stopped at 64 minutes to be fair and all...I'm going to have to finished this one for sure.

Kuzey

I love it, man, really cool and would love to see it rendered either all shiny or all grungy. Great job, Kuzey! :thumbsup:

IMI
03-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Nice! Love the grill texture.

:agree:
Very good indeed. :)

Iain
03-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Nasty little beggar this one.................

Nangleator
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Nasty little beggar this one.................
Damn! That'll kill you from just tearing up all your capillaries!

Magic Bevel fun there, Iain?

Kuzey
03-23-2009, 06:53 AM
I love it, man, really cool and would love to see it rendered either all shiny or all grungy. Great job, Kuzey! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for grungy myself...but will see :hey:

Here's the original and I was going to attempt the rifle but that looked to difficult to pull off in time:

http://www.wetanz.com/fmom-miniature-version/from/type

Kuzey

3DeeNut
03-23-2009, 02:41 PM
It could and has killed many.... Just the sight of makes me check my neck to see if its still in one piece.

Modeling time - 54 minutes
Texturing/Render to come.

3DeeNut
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
virus looks sick iain!
Stellar ray gun Kuzey
Don't fall on them scissors IMI... they look sharp!

All puns intended=)

Iain
03-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Magic Bevel fun there, Iain?

Yep-I forget about Magic Bevel a lot. I need to set aside an hour every month just to play with it :)

Nice model, 3deenut. Edges might be a little unrefined for rendering but hey-it's a speed challenge!

flakester
03-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Eeek, not as much time for this challenge as I'd like.

Awesome entries so far folks; the car-paint node lips, the virus (looks like a cross between the common cold and the varicella zoster), the ray gun.... well, all of 'em really!

My first one.... back to the old drawing board...! One ACME 10 ton weight.
22 mins modelling (which should have been 19 mins but I managed to create some bogus geometry). About 20 mins for the layout and cook.

Model available as always.

--
flakester.

3DeeNut
03-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Wow, I just started looking at the earlier posts... Some incredible work all around folks. Lips, button, pier, paper clip all amazing! Love your drinks n keys weepful. Really clever entries on everyone's part.

Not sure if a 10 Ton Weight counts... i didn't think the Acme Weight could kill. I just remember really big lumps! LOL Still and then, I get it and it made me laugh... good show!

Clever bunch we have in this group!

IMI
03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Oh that's great flakester! I about fell outta my chair laughing. :lol:

IMI
03-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Cool guillotine, 3DeeNut. :thumbsup:

You left out the..uhh...collection basket though, the second most important part. ;)

COBRASoft
03-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Hey,

Great entries!

I've lived 22 years in a hotel and I've seen knifes like this everyday. Guns are not allowed in Belgium, but every kitchen has at least one of these...

Modelling about 48 minutes.

Greetings,
Sigurd

IMI
03-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Looks great, Sigurd. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-24-2009, 08:10 AM
boomerang...about ten lazy minutes.

I once played with one during a lunch break at school..many years ago. The boomerang flew straight up about 50 meters and then came down like a rocket and embedded itself into the soccer pitch near a bunch of kids.

Kuzey

3DeeNut
03-24-2009, 08:16 AM
@IMI - re: Collection Basket
I may purposefully disqualify myself just so I can add the details. I need to add the collection basket and the binding straps but I was just too close to the limit to add them.

I was trying too hard to make it perfectly accurate and got stuck adding details like the switching mechanism, rope pulls/hoist and making it perfectly to scale. I dunno, maybe I can try to get that stuff done in 6 minutes, but the straps may be a stretch if I do them right (buckles, belt holes and fasteners might take a while...). I bet I can do a collection basket within 6 mins tho. Ill do it when I get a sec.

Oedo 808
03-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Good work all, quite a good subject this one. I have an entry I'd like to do, but I think I caught something like that wee beastie Iain posted (yeah, I recognized it as a Scottish strain :p) so I'm not too sure I'll be able to get it done.

Anyhow, so far this challenge has made good viewing :thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
@IMI - re: Collection Basket
I may purposefully disqualify myself just so I can add the details. I need to add the collection basket and the binding straps but I was just too close to the limit to add them.

Haha...don't do that. I don't see a problem with completing it. You can have a challenge version and a final version...just keep going :thumbsup:

I'm still working on my ray gun :hey:

Kuzey

3DeeNut
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
@Kuzey - Good idea! Ill do that. Wouldn't be hard to create them as a separate layer. I've been working on crazy details for the texture maps. Blood stains, head count marks etc. It will be one creepy thing. If I do what you said, i think the final version will be great and the speed version will be damn good. LoL

BTW - I love your ray gun. I was actually thinking last week we should have a "steampunk" theme sometime. Then you had posted that link and i started delving even deeper into the world of steampunk. OMG there is enough material there to keep an atrist entertained for forever.

Your work is really great. I love your style. Smooth and fun.

Oedo 808
03-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I had good fun with this one, didn't feel any pressure, still took me the hour though.

I don't think there is any 'could' about this one. :)

AdamAvenali
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I had good fun with this one, didn't feel any pressure, still took me the hour though.

Priceless haha :thumbsup:

Nangleator
03-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Hah!

"Honey, I'm home from the axe show, and I've got a beauty!"

"Honey, I'm back from my anger management class!"

"Hi, honey! Have you got our victim immobilized?"

Iain
03-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Superb!
10/10 all round :thumbsup:

scratch33
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Cool, oedo...:D

This can kill you too... 58 min modeling... quick rendering...

R.Feeney
03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Seriously guys some great ideas and executions this week. I will make some proper comments on Wednesday.

Practically everything I was thinking of doing has already been done plus somethings that would never have occurred to me :thumbsup:

This is about 35 min modeling. I have no idea if there is a real poisonous mushroom that looks like this, but in my head they do :D

scratch33
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
:thumbsup: good rendering and model R. Feeney. Love it.

Weepul
03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
This is about 35 min modeling. I have no idea if there is a real poisonous mushroom that looks like this, but in my head they do :D

They sure do. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria) :D

You have some time left, I'd love to see a revision with the dots actually modeled on top. MG_UltimateClone might be handy. :)

R.Feeney
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
With any luck Ill have a bit of time tomorrow again and try it.
it looks kinda like flakes rather than spots, I must take a look at this Ultimate Clone!!!, it just felt like it deserved exclamation points.

Or if anyone wants to try or just wants the models I have attached them and the scene.

and thanks scratch33 :)

IMI
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Oedo, scratch, RFeeney, all great stuff! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the 'shrooms, RF! If I can find the time I'd like to UV map that and paint some textures and displacements. Really nice model, that is. :)

Oedo 808
03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the nice comments :)

Nice work, scratch33. I'm fast becoming a fan of multi-object entries to these challenges. Don't forget to include your wires!

R.Feeney, that scene has a lovely finish to it, I've grabbed the zip and I will be having a butchers at that, no question. Thank ye. :thumbsup: I'm going to take a break from modelling and do a bit more studying, I keep meaning to grab Iain's (steady on old chap) Villian's Lair, I think I shall do that now before I forget, again.

Thanks for the plugin tip, weepul, I'm always on the look out for these things.

COBRASoft
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Thx Imi :)

colkai
03-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Oh man.. that'd kill you for sure! :p

flakester
03-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Stonking entries folks.

I still don't have enough time to get another one in..... maybe later this eve.

Great work so far all. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

IMI
03-25-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised nobody thought of this yet.
it's kinda funny because earlier today I was making coffee and trying to come up with something new for this challenge, but couldn't think of anything. Then I went to pick up the coffee can, and realized I had set it on my gas oven cooktop. It was one of those EUREKA! moments.
I guess you had to be there. ;)

Far more subtle than the flames from the gas burners on the top and inside, is the potentially highly deadly carbon monoxide emitted from it.

Don't ever forget to turn it off after using it, and never, ever use your gas oven as a space heater. Always make sure that nothing is blocking the door from closing all the way and that you have good ventilation in your kitchen.

I didn't model anything blocking the door - as the hinges age, they may lose their strength, and you might notice the center control knob, which controls the gas to the oven, is not in the off position...

I spent the full hour modeling this. The last thing I had time for was the control knobs - just barely got them in on time, but I would have liked to have added more detail to everything.

No time for a render, unfortunately since I have other things I need to do, but I wanted to get this in before the deadline.
Model available if anyone wants it - as are all my models I post for these challenges. I keep forgetting to add that part. :o

Crossfire
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
No Joke. This is totally obvious.

Total model and texture time:20 mins
Another 15mins for rigging and render.

If you happen to want it you can have it!

flakester
03-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Cool beans there Crossfire, considered that one myself but opted for something else in the end.

I'm off for a quick smoke while my render cooks.... :p

--
flakester.

Crossfire
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Cool beans there Crossfire, considered that one myself but opted for something else in the end.

I'm off for a quick smoke while my render cooks.... :p

--
flakester.

Thanks flakester
It never fails. seeing someone smoke or seeing a cigarette makes me crave! Love the 10 ton weight. Have to admit, that would suck getting crushed.http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/screwy.gif

R.Feeney
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
10 min to go guys, don't forget render and wires needed to be a winner (disclaimer...no prize) :D

Oedo 808
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
@ IMI, pretty funky work that one, and no kidding about how lethal it can be, you'd know that if you'd ever tried the wife's cooking! Just kidding, I ain't married, but I'd just love to type that one with the missus reading over my shoulder... and see how long I lived. ;D

Shame there wasn't time to get a render done, though I suppose you'd have had to let it cook for a long time to get the best out of it. :o

flakester
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Cheers Crossfire.

My rushed entry, a tranquilizer dart.
Skimped on the modelling at 35 minutes, layout and cook about 20 mins. Model available as always.

Great entries for an awesome subject all. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

::edit:: I now know that I need to put some time in learning fibers!!

Crossfire
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Cheers Crossfire.

My rushed entry, a tranquilizer dart.
Skimped on the modelling at 35 minutes, layout and cook about 20 mins. Model available as always.

Great entries for an awesome subject all. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

::edit:: I now know that I need to put some time in learning fibers!!

NICE! Ace Ventura Style!

IMI
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
@ IMI, pretty funky work that one, and no kidding about how lethal it can be, you'd know that if you'd ever tried the wife's cooking! Just kidding, I ain't married, but I'd just love to type that one with the missus reading over my shoulder... and see how long I lived. ;D

Shame there wasn't time to get a render done, though I suppose you'd have had to let it cook for a long time to get the best out of it. :o

Funny, Oedo, as always. :D

Yeah, I had stuff to do this morning and I figured it would probably have taken me an hour or or more just to set up materials and a scene for it, let alone sitting around and tweaking all that into a render. Just wasn't able to put the time into it. :(

IMI
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM

That's a great looking ciggy, Crossfire. :thumbsup:

IMI
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Tranquilizer dart loosk good, flakester. :thumbsup:

You used FFX on that?

EDIT:
Oops, yeah reading it again I see you did. Good job. I can't get ffx to cooperate for me most of the time.

flakester
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Tranquilizer dart loosk good, flakester. :thumbsup:

You used FFX on that?

EDIT:
Oops, yeah reading it again I see you did. Good job. I can't get ffx to cooperate for me most of the time.

No, no FFX for this one; didn't have time to work out how get what I wanted with FFX. Created and radial array cloned the geometry, and upped the diffuse sharpness in the material properties.

That part of the dart turned out better than I thought it would, but still would've really like more than just one hour all told to get something in for this one!

Hope I get more time for the next round, whatever the subject may be.

--
flakester.

Crossfire
03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
That's a great looking ciggy, Crossfire. :thumbsup:

Thanks Man.

Great posts all:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
@seduceandrob - Cool Piranha plant, nice clean wires and something I would never have thought of.

@JCG - A Rambutan. I never heard of one before but you certainly made it look good.

@Iain - Paperclip. Nice one, brings to mind the scene from Daredevil when Bullseye kills someone with a straitened one.

@IMI - The Mystery Panic Button. It would have worked in the Villians lair challenge too

@Mark The Great - Glass of water. I know they say you can drown in two inches of water but I dont think I could fit my head in there.:D

@Nangleator - Vampire Lips. Interesting use of the carpaint node

@RudySchneider - Electrical outlet. I thought of doing one of these myself. They look different over here. Nice work No render though

@Nangleator - The pier of doom!! Cool idea and modeling:thumbsup:

@weepul - Don't drink and render Excellent work

@art - Straight razor another one that I had hoped to try

@IMI - Scissors. Nice one I have an urge to grab them and go for a run.

@Kuzey - Raygun, Nice work, immediately reminded me of the Weta Rayguns which I see you based it on. No render no win

@RollerJesus - Whiskey and pills,some days its the only way to sleep.

@weepul - Headphones. More excellent work

@Iain - The virus. Thats one scary looking blob.

@3DeeNut - Guillotine. Sweet work man but no render

@flakester - 10 Tons of Acme fun :D

@COBRASoft - the kitchen knife...Domestic murder weapon of choice, no wires

@Kuzey - boomerang what can i say, I hope this doesn't come back on me. no render

@Oedo 808 - I`m Home...... Excellent made me laugh

@scratch33 - the drug paraphernalia ( <-I had real trouble spelling that). Good work but no wires

@ me - mushrooms I will keep my self in the dark.

@IMI - Cooking with gas Great attention to detail but no render

@Crossfire - my best friends.. the cigarettes I half expected these to be the first model to show up. And your first post, welcome Crossfire

@Flakester - A Dart. The Fibres in particular look great.

I dont think I missed anyone in there. 25 entries this week, thanks for the great turnout everyone.

So a winner.... weepul with his don't drink and drive, its the little things like modeling the meniscus on the liquid that really sold me on this one. Well done weepul:thumbsup:

3DeeNut gets to pick this weeks subject, I`m looking forward to it. Hopefully I will have a bit more time to spend on it this week

RudySchneider
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Well done, weepul.

AdamAvenali
03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
congrats weepul! excellent submissions from everyone!

wow, i have done a couple speed modeling challenges on other forums, but this was by far the one i felt the most comfortable in. it must just be the family atmosphere here at newtek :thumbsup:

this was my first but it will definitely not be my last :D

Hopper
03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice job Weepul. I really did like the simplicity of that one and how well the render came out.

I got 5 minutes into mine and the wife said "No. You're not doing that." lol. It was pretty crass and I promised not to post it, so ... maybe some other time when she's not looking. Let's just say I was going to title it "Too Soon". :)

Nangleator
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Great job, weepul! Impressive modeling and stunningly beautiful render.

Oh, my dock monster is available upon request.

flakester
03-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Congrats Weepul; a very well deserved win! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

scratch33
03-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Good job Weepul. :thumbsup:

congrats:thumbsup:

IMI
03-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Yes, congrats weepul!
I definitely think that was the best subject matter for this challenge. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-26-2009, 06:25 AM
@Kuzey - Raygun, Nice work, immediately reminded me of the Weta Rayguns which I see you based it on. No render no win

haha....I have a reputation to up hold of not wining one....you know :D

Seriously...I'm still working on finishing this one and trying to make it as complete as I can. Render to come much...much later :D

Well done Weepul. At first I thought it was a key party...maybe the 70's challenge was still in my mind or something. :hey:

Great work one and all!!

Kuzey

Mark The Great
03-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice, weepul. Those umbrellas blew me away! Seriously good model!

I probably ought to start spending more than 5 minutes on these things. :)

THREEL
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Congrats weepul!!! :thumbsup: Kudos to everyone else on the great entries.

Sorry I didn't make this in time for this week's contest. My computer was being a big jerk. :compbeati I was working on this on a couple different occasions, when my computer just decided to reboot on its own, and it didn't even ask me first, go figure. Then I was having some problems with a morph issue (see LW-General Tips, Tricks, and Techniques). Needless to say, by the time everything got figured out, I don't know if I would have made the 60 minute time limit.

Anyway, here it is. It's supposed to be a reasonable facsimile of the Spike Chamber in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I would like to add skulls and a couple other things to dress it up a bit more.

IMI
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Nice job, Al. :)

As for your computer just rebooting on its own, you might want to have a look in the Event Viewer under Administrative Tools and then under Hardware Events to see if it shows anything. Or maybe under System, if it's maybe not a hardware thing that caused it.
Could have been hardware, or it could have been a Windows update set to automatic and just went ahead and rebooted on its own afterwards. Seems to me you usually get a warning with update rebooting though.

Kuzey
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Here's an update on the ray gun...still a bit to go :D

Kuzey

flakester
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Here's an update on the ray gun...still a bit to go :D

Kuzey

Coming on a treat Kuzey. :thumbsup:
Fab work.

--
flakester

Oedo 808
03-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Congratulations weepul!

Good work all, and for those who are still thinking about trying these challenges out, don't think, just jump on in. :)

@Kuzey, lookin' good, please tell me that baby's going to get a render.

Weepul
03-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Thank you, everyone! I'm glad you liked it. :)

@Kuzey: Yep, that's looking ace. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing it with a good old-timey metal texture.

IMI
03-27-2009, 02:49 AM
Really nice detail there Kuzey, lookin' good. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys, I plan to complete it before Monday. The texturing/surfacing part should be interesting...it's going to be fun :D

Kuzey

IMI
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
So how long do we wait to see if 3deenut comes up with a new challenge idea for number 31?
My modelin' finger's gettin' itchy. ;)

R.Feeney
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
If there is nothing started by 2200gmt tonight I will start a new one. If there are no objections.
So 3Deenut if you are out there you have a few hours :)

Any suggestions for a new subject?

Iain
03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I knew he couldn't handle it :devil:

Nangleator
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, man! Gettin' itchy!

Here are some suggestions:

Space ships
Hands -- Oops! Already been done!
Houses
Bridges
Jewelry
Dungeon stuff
Handguns

R.Feeney
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Furniture fruit and veg musical Instruments Bottles Archetctural Elements Space Ships!! jewlery Nautical From the back yard

Nangleator
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Alien sex toys
Alien chairs (might be some overlap there)
Realistic building nurnies (plumbing, electrical fixtures, antennae, etc.)
Faces

RollerJesus
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey Kuzey, how about you provide that raygun for a rendering challenge? come onnnnnnnn........ :)

flakester
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey Kuzey, how about you provide that raygun for a rendering challenge? come onnnnnnnn........ :)

Ooh, ooh, ooh!! Brushed stainless for the win!

--
flakester

Kuzey
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Ooooh....I would love to, maybe if Newtek throws an upgrade for the Core towards my way :thumbsup:

And maybe another copy of the Core as a prize, for the rendering challenge :hey:

Kuzey

IMI
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
No suggestions here that haven't already been suggested.
I think it would be cool if we had a free-for-all theme sometime though, just an anything goes, model what you can in an hour "theme".

The Seinfeld Challenge - A Model about Nothing. ;)

Myagi
03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Alien sex toys
Alien chairs (might be some overlap there)

haha

since I didn't have time to model anything I might just throw in some random idea:

Ancient Egypt

AdamAvenali
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
oh let's see (i apologize if these have been mentioned or done before):

gardening (plants, tools, etc.)
dorm room
aviation
inside your PC
peripheral (interpret as you see fit)
Mario Kart

it's the end of a work week so my creativity is lacking a bit haha

Nangleator
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Mario Kart. Hmmm. Video Game Favorites might be a good, broad subject.

Anything from Gordon Freeman's crowbar to a battleship...

R.Feeney
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=858239#post858239

It Came From Outer Space!!!

I figured it combined a few of the ideas from here.

Kuzey
03-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Haha...so I went and started on the surfacing...still early days :hey:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96892

Kuzey