PDA

View Full Version : first draft of new showreel

biliousfrog
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I've just uploaded the first draft of my new showreel if anyones interested. I've more or less kept it to projects over the last year but there's a couple of older bits in there.

Comments and crits appreciated.

http://www.eggboxstudios.co.uk/temp

BlueApple
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice work there. My only suggestion would be to show material from a given project once. For example, only have one sequence involving the helicopter instead of having the 'copter pop up at different points.

And I really enjoyed the duck :)

Dexter2999
03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
It's good.

The ship doesn't seem your strongest piece to me and it is pretty prominent.
The ear rings looked good but maybe were in and out a little too fast? Hard to tell how good they were.
The apartment building (or condos) were VERY strong and so made the house with the fence seem perhaps like it was earlier work of yours.
I agree with not bringing back pieces once you have shown them and you feature the duck, ship, and helicopter all multiple times.

By the way the modeling of the ship seems good it is maybe the consistant (repetitive) texture that brings the piece down.

Having said that, ALL of your work is better than what I can do.

Being a critic is alot easier than being an artist.

biliousfrog
03-19-2009, 01:39 AM
All very valid points, thanks.

The original idea was to split everything into 4 sections (hence the teaser 'flashes' at the beginning) but it hasn't worked as well as I'd liked. I need some fresh eyes to look over it.

borkus
03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
That last bit towards the end with the engine and the "life-blood" was awesome... The whole feel of that was very impressive and an awesome way to end the clip. I liked everything else, but had to say that that was my favorite of all.

tommymamn
03-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Wow - that is some cool work - very impressive! I really liked the music too.

Tom

cresshead
03-21-2009, 08:01 AM
good music track
don't repeat the same shot unless your showing progression from wire, shaded, lighting>finals

second shot of of above looking back on the helicopter is much stronger than the first...put that in before the second shot

duck segment is really strong..your best work i think...

underwarter ship keep the final arc round shot and drop the the textured other ones.

interior shot walk thru is stronger than the starting shot outside is so that first maybe in that segment

i'd also end on a duck shot as the first and last shots need to be the strongest

maybe end with a 4 slot verticle split edit dropping in
1.strongest arch viz shot
2. helicopter shot
3.product shot> rings or remote
4. duck shot

then your end screen dropping in over them

just my thoughts...:thumbsup:

biliousfrog
03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I'm glad you like the music, it's the first piece of music I've recorded in a couple of years and it was a complete PITA. I bought a new controller keyboard and Line 6 recording interface and despite buying Cubase Studio 4 I had to revert to VST which I've had for about 5yrs because of 64bit audio driver problems. I was trying to use Reason 3 but it would only sync with the new Cubase, but I couldn't record audio in that...it was painful. When I get a new laptop sorted out I'll get that setup for music production...Asus lost my last one 6 months ago and I'm in the middle of court proceedings to get compensation.

Borkus, the final clip was the first job I did for San Corp, for their new V12 Magnum product. It turned out ok but 80% of the production time was spent making amendments and the final animation wasn't anything like what they originally asked for. To top it off, they got someone to re-edit it all before using it

The clip before that is from the second job for the same product, they actually provided storyboards for that and it still ended up being completely different. They also came back to me several weeks after it was signed off and paid for saying that the see-through anatomy man didn't look friendly enough and expected me to do some variations of it for free. We settled on an adjustment to one of the three sequences for a reduced fee as I only gave him some solid eyelids and lips.

The originals are on my site, available through the front page: http://www.eggboxstudios.co.uk/
The companies versions are available through YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=v12+magnum&aq=f

I've been going through a re-edited version of the reel and will get another one up soon.

archijam
03-21-2009, 03:54 PM
That last bit towards the end with the engine and the "life-blood" was awesome... The whole feel of that was very impressive and an awesome way to end the clip. I liked everything else, but had to say that that was my favorite of all.

ditto.

meatycheesyboy
03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I really like some of the editing in your reel. The shot where the duck looks through the telescope then it transitions to the wireframe, does the fly around and goes back to the full color shot is just awesome.

I also agree with a couple other people here, the engine/blood vessel shot at the end is really strong.

Nice work.

Andrewstopheles
03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I must sympathize - it is unfortunate that the business of art sometimes gets in the way of the art. Someone elsewhere on the forum said something to the effect that your demo reel is only as good as the clients you have had to deal with.
Sometimes you have to go back and re-finish a piece differently than what the client is willing to pay for so that you can use it as a presentation piece to demonstrate the quality of your work. But doing so is often necessary.
Your work looks exceptional in some parts - I agree with earlier comments about editing it to show your best work only. One awesome piece is better than 10 really good pieces.

biliousfrog
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
OK, I've updated it a bit...see original link

It still needs a polish but I think that it's getting closer.

I did go through all the comments and have taken them all on board but there are reasons why some clips have been used and others haven't. If I was using it primarily as a reel to get work with a studio I would have removed or changed some parts and included others that I have currently left out. Unfortunately, I need to cover a lot of bases as my clients cover a range of industries and locations. The finished reel will be distributed to a selection of existing clients and potential new ones in a media pack. I know from experience that people will sometimes look at a reel or portfolio and say, 'that's nice but I don't need that' so I wanted to make sure that there's something for everyone whilst not looking like a mish-mash...'here's what I have done for others, chances are that I can help you!' That's the primary reason why I wanted to give a brief glimpse of what's in store before getting into the proper reel...to assure them at their topic of interest will be included so they can just sit back and watch.

Anyway...I won't have a chance to explain myself to everyone before showing it to them so I still appreciate any input if I'm missing the point entirely.