PDA

View Full Version : partial render

soundview
03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
I am using lightwave 8.5 on my toaster machine VT5. When rendering changes to an animation the final file is a partial anim, about 60 frames. I can only reboot my machine and re-render to get the entire anim. Is this a lightwave problem or VT5?

Lightwolf
03-18-2009, 08:15 AM
When rendering changes to an animation the final file is a partial anim, about 60 frames.
What precisely are you doing? Is the animation file used/opened by anything else on the machine while you render over it?

In general, always render animations to still frames and then compile to a movie format. It will save you from a lot of hassle. Also, if the machine goes down in mid render, you can just continue where the render stopped.

Cheers,
Mike

soundview
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I am rendering a 300 frame scene to an RTV file. I have rendered with the toaster running as well as just lightwave with the same results. The first time rendering a scene all works fine. I make minor changes in the scene such as lighting etc., save the changes, re-render to a new filename and the new file seems to be incomplete every time. I will try to render to still frames like you suggest and see. Thanks for that suggestion.

Lightwolf
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
To keep things simple, you can use LW to convert the image sequence into an RTV after rendering.
Load the sequence as an image sequence, use it as the backdrop and set your camera to match the resolution. Change the scene length to match the number of frames. Render to a RTV. That should be quite zippy as well.

Cheers
Mike

soundview
03-18-2009, 10:15 AM
works great, thanks!!

Lightwolf
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
:boogiedow:beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike