PDA

View Full Version : would it be legal too.......

KillMe
08-16-2003, 12:52 PM
was jsut wondering if it would be legal to install lw on 2 computers say on at work and one at home dn jsut take my dongle home with me at night?

just wondering as i'm trying to get a job using lw but not all the places use it and was wondering if i could use my own without having to sacrifice having it at home too

Earl
08-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes, it's legal. That's exactly what I do when I go into the office. The trick is that when you install LightWave and run it without the dongle, it goes into demo mode, thus the only full copy is the one you're currently using.

Wade
08-16-2003, 02:13 PM
And you can go cross platform PC to Mac..!:)

Miles
08-16-2003, 05:23 PM
True on the cross platform ability, but FWIW, that's also provided you have a newer DUO USB Dongle AND both platform Installer CDs.

I not only had to swap (buy) a DUO USB from NT because I had a MAC specific one prior, but also had to buy a separate PC Installer CD. I'm not sure yet I'll be buying into LW8 without some features I need better use of incorporated, BUT if I eventually do since I now use a PC for main use, but sometimes still work from the road via a MAC PowerBook I think NT needs to start shipping the Installer as a "Hybrid" CD so those of us on cross platform work environments are not left juggling around and forking out even more for use of two CDs.

Just my .02

Guess I might need to suggest this in the Features Requests area too if someone else hasn't. Anyway, Hope that helps...

http://MAP-MEDIA.COM/-web/MAP-CITY-01.jpg

TyVole
08-16-2003, 05:47 PM
I bought 7.5 in April and it came with two CDs (PC & Mac.)

KillMe
08-16-2003, 05:51 PM
ah thats great =) - as for the mac yup i got duo usb dongle and both mac and pc cd's

how you use lw with only 1 mouse botton though i will never know =) i like 3 minimum

Nakia
08-16-2003, 05:51 PM
I got two Cds with mines. I bounce back and forth between Mac and PC alot. They are about 2 feet apart. I just get worried about the abuse of my Dongle. Depend on how the $$ roll I might opt for a second Seat of LW.

Miles
08-16-2003, 07:27 PM
I guess it was just my bad luck then that when LW 7.0 was first sent to me NT must've only been sending the specific platform Installer CD that the end user was registered as using. Since I started out only on MAC it wasn't an issue until I had to build the PC. Us MAC chaps are none to pleased about the extra hoop$ we've had to jump through to get on equal ground with PC-LWrs if they want to send LW8 to make up for the extra $ that would help. Yeah like that'll happen :rolleyes:. The irony of it; I'm using a PC now too, just for LW.

It sounds as though KillMe is good to go then on their introduction to LW... ;)

Cheers! May your initial path be smoother than it's been here.

http://MAP-MEDIA.COM/-web/MAP-LNDSCP-01.jpg

SLAYER
08-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Run Lightwave without a dongle. For a price, that is:

http://www.donglefree.com/

trick
08-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Nakia
...I just get worried about the abuse of my Dongle...

I'm having 8 parallel dongles and some custommade parallel cables to whom some of these are attached. When I switch computers the cables go with them so their connectors wont get hurt. This never gave me problems in 13 years !!!!!

Nakia
08-17-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking about put an extension cable on my USB Dongle to protect its connectors

Paul Lara
08-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I have one dongle that I use on my laptop as well as my home machine.....it's great that I'm not limited to one machine.....

Miles
08-18-2003, 08:21 AM
LOL! One button mouse... :D I imagine most, if not ALL MAC LWrs are not using the Apple provided mouse. Heck, I don't even have a desk surface to operate a mouse on. :D My edit room rigging is setup similarly to the "Operator" rig in the hover craft of the MATRIX series, with no surfaces. BTW, I've had it rigged like that long before the films. ;)

Seriously though, I use a Kensington Trackball with multiple programmable buttons on it. I also have a Wacom 9x12 tablet which I have yet to set up properly in the rig here so eventually I guess I'll have access to the wireless four button mouse and pen that came with it to use on that surface. Anyway, I got what you meant about Apple's mouse with use of LW and had to toss it back at ya... ;)

After having to build a PC for use with LW here now I agree MAC users are confined TOO much to hardware Apple locks us into. Hardware config possibilities are sooo much better on the PC, BUT that also can mean much more setup hassles. It took me faaar longer to get running with the PC than any MAC user deals with. Pros and Cons to each side... :rolleyes:

http://MAP-MEDIA.COM/-web/MAP-LOGO-ORBITAL.jpg

lord
08-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Lost a LW dongle in a taxi once. Nearly had a nervous breakdown.

Just lucky the taxi driver didn't mistake it for something like a pen lid or other such piece of plastic rubbish. (Those were the thoughts crossing my mind during my hour of intense crisis.)