PDA

View Full Version : Import RIG?

IMI
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I used the Export RIG in Layout (9.6) to...well, to export a rig, of course.
I never tried it before, was just curious to see how it worked, but I figured it might be useful for the figure I'm working on rigging right now, to be able to export different versions rather than save a whole scene each time I change the rig.
I like the way it has a comment field in it - that's a really great feature there. :thumbsup:

But when I import a saved rig, even with the same character loaded, the rig comes in centered at 0,0,0. My figure is standing on the 0 not centered - the feet are on 0.0.0, that is. So the rig is then well below the figure... still intact in its hierarchy, but way off target.

The rig can be moved up to fit back inside the figure, but it comes in with all the bones active, which obviously deforms the figure or moves it, if I move the rig back up. If all the bones are deactivated, it can be moved and reactivated and works as normal.

Even so, if I spend allot of time on a rig, it means the bones are all exactly where I want them in the figure. Being able to export and import a rig is great, but isn't worth much if it comes in active but not in the correct position on the mesh. I'm not understanding why LW thinks it's a good idea to reposition them while keeping them active... seems kinda silly to me, and counterproductive as well.

So is this normal behavior, or is there some setting I'm missing, something else I need to do before exporting or importing a rig? Or am I just de facto expected to be rigging with my figure centered at 0,0,0?

Thanks. :)

geothefaust
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey IMI, I've also recently tested this out, funnily enough.

I experienced the same thing. So I figured it was normal. I ended up just centering my character and then importing the rig, then moving the character back to where it was.

PS- I rigged the character well off from center, so I don't think you have to rig from the center. Just be certain to import the rig with your character at 0.

IMI
03-17-2009, 03:33 PM
OK, thank you for confirming that.

Moving the rig seems to be easier though, because I also moved my figure's pivot point. I can't say for sure if that's what's causing the problem I'm having, due to my lack of experience in rigging, but when I move the figure down to the rig and then reactivate the bones, everything gets FUBAR.
Moving the rig up though, as I said, doesn't cause a problem, and I'm able to get the bones close enough to where they're supposed to be.

Nevertheless, I think I'll just be rigging at 0,0,0 from here on out. ;)

UnCommonGrafx
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
If it's all good when you move it prior to reactivating and you have it in your standard pose, just reset your bones.

geothefaust
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Yarh! Just re-rest your main bone (the one you moved) and that should do it. :)