PDA

View Full Version : Question

nino73
03-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Here is one for the geniuses out there.....
Trying to depict a clear acrylic cube with a transparent green acrylic cube embedded (floating) in the center of the clear cube. In the actual sample the green center cube almost glows within the clear cube probably due to the fact that the same material is cast inside itself and that is transparent.....having trouble getting LW to produce this. Tried everything....double sided, non double sided, cube inside of cube, cube cut into cube, transparency, glow......nothing seems to give me the realistic look that is happening here... any suggestion. My lame attempts just look like a hard edge cube inside of a cube.

a.

attached is a crumby picture of the sample, however it "glows" more in reality an the edges are lost

Otterman
03-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Since you posted in the 9.6 area i assume you can do this using nodes....I would of thought the SSS node would be a good one to explore...its used for skin/wax/jelly/translucent type objects!

If nodes scare you....(they most certainly do me) have a look at edge transparancy in the surface editor/shaders tab. Also a bit of fresnel would help.

Geometry wise, id add thickness to the acrylic cube and play around with refraction....you should get some nice realistic affects.

nino73
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
already tried the edge trans. shader...nothing happened due to the fact that it is an object inside of an object.

nodes......hmmm...tried them, not too scared....just dont have the brain power to understand the chaining and setups.

Otterman
03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Ive had a quick play....im no good with nodes but the sss2 seems to yied some interesting results.

Dont ask me too much on this...im just playing :rolleyes:

Heres the scene anyways, let me know if it helps.....b interested in seeing your final results.

nino73
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
the inside looks good...however the clear cube is solid, yours looks like a walled box.

many thanks....ill continue to play with this

RebelHill
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
the inside looks good...however the clear cube is solid, yours looks like a walled box.

which is more or less what u need to make...

take a box... take the smaller box (object) that goes inside it, and boolean subtract it from the first... the hole inside the clear box is then actually modelled... scale down the object to go in the cavity... zoom right in, and just do it a tiny amount... and there u go... try the ss2 and dialectic shader nodes for ur surfacing needs.

nino73
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
i did that in the model but still had the same results.....will try with sss and dielectric