PDA

View Full Version : Many, many crashes with Fiber FX

WShawn
03-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I've just started using Fiber FX for the first time to generate some long grass for a nature documentary I'm working on. Things seemed to be going okay for the most part at the start, but today I've been getting more and more crashes while trying to render frames. I'm using the Fiber FX pixel filter on a surface on a swath of ground. Generating grass in Modeler works okay, but I'm not getting a look I like as well as when I do it in Layout. I tried trashing some prefs, and I thought that had worked when it rendered 13 frames of a sequence in a row (out of 200), but it crashed.

The scene renders fine when Fiber FX is off. I'm using some Hypervoxels in Sprite mode to generate some trees in the distance.

I'm on a MacPro 2x 3GHz Quad Core, 10GB RAM, OS 10.5.5. I'm using the UB LW 9.6 Release Candidate 12 (Mac 32). I did try the scene with the "final" 9.6 release, but that crashed, too.

Any suggestions? It would be nice if this worked.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

WShawn
03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
I guess it was the HVs conflicting with Fiber FX. It hasn't crashed since I replaced the HV trees and shrubs with UV mapped geometry.

Be nice if it all worked properly, though. The workaround took around three hours.

Shawn Marshall

jwiede
03-18-2009, 09:50 AM
WShawn, is there a reason you're using an RC build instead of the RTM version of LW9.6?

Chilton
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi,

John's right, several things were fixed in FFx in the final version. If you are continuing to have problems in that version, the crash logs will be much more meaningful for me if they match up with what we're working with.

Was there something in else in the final version that wasn't working right?

-Chilton

WShawn
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi:

Thanks for the replies.

I never switched to the final RTM version was because the RC version had been working fine for me. During the open beta process a new version would be released every few days, so to use those I'd copy all of my various presets and plugins into the new version. That got to be a hassle. (I'm under the impression that there is a way to point subsequent releases to a common plugin and preset area that all the various releases could share, but I don't know how to do that. If there's a tutorial somewhere that explains how to do that, please let me know.) I was also burned once when I installed a beta release over the weekend, only to find I couldn't a single frame without it crashing.

So I was sticking with what worked.

On my current nature scene, I did open it up in the RTM version and encountered the same crashes upon render, and being on deadline I didn't have time for further troubleshooting. I created a workaround which is sufficient. When things calm down I'll do further investigations.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall