PDA

View Full Version : Digital Asset Management

darkChief
03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm conducting a little market research. How many people here use digital asset management software? What's your opinion on DAM in general. Do you think it makes you more productive. I know there's alien brain for digital artists, does anyone use a more general package not targeted at graphics? If so does the lack of focus on the artist make the product less useful for you field of work.

Any other opinions and views are most welcome.

Tranimatronic
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
A big part of my job is writing and maintaining our asset management plugin. Our asset management system is custom written to fit our system.

Id bet that 100% of the artists would say it makes them less productive, or that it is a pain to use, but I would also say that 100% of those artists have also rejoiced in the system when something goes wrong (which happens with an alarming frequency, depending on the artist)

Without it I would expect some would individually produce more, but collectively produce ALOT less. They cant even agree on which side is left and which side is left. (screen left / character's left) The number of times they try to name an asset the identical name is astounding.

Any system that can revert to a previous version is going to be worth its weight in gold at some point.

If you work from a server, I would say your need for an asset management system would increase dramatically with each person over two in a team. Once you get over 10 people I would say you would get more productivity from implementing an asset management system, than hiring another artist.

...but I would say that - its a big part of my job ;)
T

Titus
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm conducting a little market research. How many people here use digital asset management software? What's your opinion on DAM in general. Do you think it makes you more productive. I know there's alien brain for digital artists, does anyone use a more general package not targeted at graphics? If so does the lack of focus on the artist make the product less useful for you field of work.

Any other opinions and views are most welcome.

I think a DAM is a must for any production.

mattclary
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I've worked for a document management software company the last 12 years. Our product doesn't specifically support any 3D apps, but there is a method that theoretically integrates ANY application with ours.

IMO, any business that produces large numbers of files by multiple people should be using some kind of document management system.

p.s. I love LightWave's Shift>Save version creation function!

darkChief
03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks, been working on a small multi platform DAM system, haven't invested much time into it yet. Was wondering if small teams would be interested. Will dig deeper once I actually have something working.

SplineGod
03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Ive used perforce and while powerful it was a royal pain to use.

wsi
03-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Good topic. Recently I searched for a suiteable DAM for 3D pipelines, but only found alienbrains DAM. Which is quite expensive and got no connection to LW at all.

I think a DAM could be a real time saver in every project where more than two people are invovled. And besides that: Without any such system, people seem to name and archive files corresponding to their daily mood. No matter what guidelines are set.

So if you are in the progress in making a DAM, which takes Lightwave 9, or Lightwave Core into account, it would be really interesting.

TheDynamo
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
It's still in Beta but it does do some of the more important tasks in DAM like file locating and linking. It tries to be as seamless as possible, a friend of mine has been testing the Beta and has liked it quite a bit since After Effects projects can be very unwieldy at times.

-Rob

paulrus
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I use Alienbrain & it has saved me on a few occasions. Very pricey, though.

philippe
03-20-2009, 03:09 PM
At work, we use alienbrain with in-house plugins for lightwave support

studiomaxer3d
03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Have you seen Project Overlord? Users say it eats Alienbrain for dinner. Alienbrain is more for source control and asset management whereas Project Overlord combines asset management with project management. You can track episodes, sequences, shots, tasks, and time, all connected to the assets you work with.

Also, where Alienbrain stores the assets only in its format which totally destroys the folder structure and names. PO does work similarly if you want. It also works as a layer on top of your files and you work from the network share. You can read more about it at www.give-soft.com