PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels Question

Ty Catt
03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Quick Q:

Does a Volume hypervoxel render in "slices" like the Sprite hypervoxel?

I have a hypervoxel moving from top to bottom in a scene and it's texture looks nothing like it's final rest position. It kinda looks like it rotated (although it didn't). Actually, the "before rest" images look the same and the final rest looks unique from the rest- that's what made me think this is normal.:help:

I've attached some quick stills.

If this is normal, any tips to try and retain that final rest texture?

Motion blur doesn't quite do it, you see a definate change on the way down.

Thanks!

Ty

Nangleator
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I can only assume the hypertexture has some Effect Speed or one of the surface textures is set to World Coordinates.

GregMalick
03-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Volume HV is rendered in slices, but I'm thinking something in your surfacing isn't set to follow the null/object. Are you layering the textures?

I'm also wondering why you didn't use a surface HV for the IceCream.
You might try changing that and seeing if that would work for you.

Ty Catt
03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

Nangle- DOH! I had align to path checked on. It's always something I accidentally leave on! Thanks for making me look harder!

Greg- I'll try to change over to Surface HV. I dunno why I went with Volume. I guess I had better success with the cool shallow grooves you get from the ice cream scoop when you spoon it out. I'll give Surface HV another try with some of the Volume HV settings, maybe now that I've got close with those parameters, I can get it to look right!:)

Thanks again, guys!

Ty

Nangleator
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
It does look pretty awesome as is. Save that preset. I don't know if you can duplicate it in a Surface HV, but if you can, you'll save mondo time.

Ty Catt
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you. That may have been my first compliment.

I am always too afraid to post my work because I am usually lightyears away from everyone else's knowledge and ability! :D

I only get better with you and everyone else's generous help on this forum.

I'll post the final version soon!

Thanks, again!

Ty

GregMalick
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
BTW, when I first read this thread and was looking at the attachments - I kept trying to see some changes in the clouds (since you said Volume). And I kept thinking "I can't see any changes in these clouds. And they're not even moving. What's he talking about?" LOL

Then I realized it was the ice cream and thought (why not surface).

Another thought:

Although HV's would be cool if you plan to have a thousand iceCream balls fall out of the sky... using a displacement on a simple subD ballObject would give you a lot more flexibility. Shoot - displacements even lets you use nodes and you can still use layering in the node network. Bring a ballObject into the same scene and try to get the same texture for displacement. Might just be able to copy/paste.