PDA

View Full Version : Im having a spinny beachball kinda day

Otterman
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
When trying to open certain scenes, after everything has loaded-lightwave just hangs. This is happening more and more frequently....its driving me nuts!

Is anyone else experiencing this also? Im using OS 10.5.6 with lw 9.6ub.

Id supply the files but heck they are big! I dont think its a memory issue, 9.3 works fine!

Any ideas...i know a few of you have encoutered this before, just wondering if anyone got to the bottom of it.

Giacomo99
03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I've been getting a lot of beachballs lately too—not in Layout, but in strange repeatable cases like accessing the Color Picker in Modeler (see other thread). Not sure what's up.

aperezg
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I have the same problem since Update OS 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 few weeks ago, when I try to load some scenes, Layout freeze; I suspect in leopard 10.5.6, OpenGL

MacPro 3,1 Quad-core Intel Xeon 3Ghz 6GB Memory Nvidia Gforce8800 GT LW 9.6 UB

Chilton
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi,

When it hangs, open Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities/), double-click on the LightWave app in question, and click the Sample button on the subsequently opened window. Then send me the sample ( [email protected] ) and I'll see if there's something I can do to help, or if this is a situation where I just blame Apple so I can get back to my tanning.

Thanks,
-Chilton

aperezg
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi,

When it hangs, open Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities/), double-click on the LightWave app in question, and click the Sample button on the subsequently opened window. Then send me the sample ( [email protected] ) and I'll see if there's something I can do to help, or if this is a situation where I just blame Apple so I can get back to my tanning.

Thanks,
-Chilton

it was sent my sample
Thanks

Otterman
03-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Thanks for your kind offer Chilt!

Ive sent you a crash report-im accumulating em as we speak but il reframe from bombarding you with em. If you require anything else from me-just howller!

Ta

Chilton
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi,

I have a LOT of space in my NewTek mail. So feel free to bombard me!

-Chilton

ingo
03-16-2009, 12:30 PM
"I have a LOT of space in my NewTek mail. So feel free to bombard me!"

Famous last words :D

No problems here, LW8.5 still runs fine.

avkills
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I have a LOT of space in my NewTek mail. So feel free to bombard me!

-Chilton

Could you store some movies in there for me. ;)

-mark

accom
03-18-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm having the same problem. Opening a scene is impossible... it just hangs with the beachball...

As far as I could see, it only happens with scenes, saved with 9.6. Older scenes work fine.

Chilton, you got my mail, too.

I really hope you figure something out.

Otterman
03-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Accom what os are you using? I installed lw9.6 and Mac OSX 10.5.6 a few days apart from eachother. I cant figure which is causing the problem.

Heres hoping Chilton can shed some light on the matter

hdace
03-18-2009, 07:01 AM
This has suddenly happened to me too. The scene in question opens no problem in Windows XP & on the G5 with 9.6 CFM. But I obviously would much rather use the UB. It doesn't appear to be a memory issue because I have a bigger scene that loads fine.

What's really weird is that a previous version of the same scene, with minimal differences, won't open now either. It opened fine hours earlier. The previous one to that, which I opened two days ago, also will not now open. AND I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES TO MY SYSTEM!

I tried a clean(ish) install with new preferences. Are there some files hidden away in the system folder that need re-loading?

accom
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Accom what os are you using? I installed lw9.6 and Mac OSX 10.5.6 a few days apart from eachother. I cant figure which is causing the problem.

Heres hoping Chilton can shed some light on the matter

OS = 10.5.6

Funny thing is, that the same scene opens with no problem with previous version.

What could cause this? I have no idea... I haven't been working with LW for some time - 2 - 3 weeks now, so I have no idea when or what changed since the last time...

edit: when did 10.5.6 update 'happen'?

Otterman
03-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Hum, sounds like 9.6 and 10.5.6 dont play ball.....anyone else confirm this?

For the last two days ive resorted to using 9.3 on the very scenes that were causing me a headache with 9.6....ive not had one crash yet!

So we need to establish if its a chilton or steve jobs issue.

hdace
03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I prefer to stay with 9.6 and put up with the deficiencies of the CFM. I'm using way too many new features to go back to 9.3. But then I've got that option being on the G5. I assume the rest of you can't.

My guess is that this is an openGL issue and probably can only be fixed by Apple. But that's just a guess. I love Apple but I'm becoming increasingly disgusted by their slow implementation of OpenGL updates. I wish we could get them direct from the manufacturer like PC users.

Otterman
03-18-2009, 09:26 AM
I Know UB will run on G5's but the other way round......i dunno! Eitherway im kinda missing the quicker n slicker 9.6. I might try and rebuild my mac and reinstall the previous operating system....providing thats whats causing the problem.

I think il wait until Chilton chips in first though.

aperezg
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
............ The scene in question opens no problem in Windows XP & on the G5 with 9.6 CFM. ................

The same thing is happening to me, the Scenes that canít open in my MacPro Quad-core Intel Xeon 3Ghz Os 10.5.6. They open normal in my oldest PowerMac G5 dual core 2GHz 5.5GB, OS 10.4.11 with LW 9.6 UB

hdace
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I've now done some more checking and I can't find any reasonable explanation for this. It only just started happening to me last night! There have been no changes to my system. I've been on 10.5.6 for weeks! There are scenes I've been working on for several weeks that now will not open, and others that will. It's quite random in one sense, except the scenes that will/will not open are consistent. And it also doesn't seem to have anything to do with which objects are in the scene.

Chilton
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi aperezg and hdace!

If you wouldn't mind sending me those scenes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Chilton ( [email protected] )

Chilton
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi, Otterman,

Hey Thanks for your kind offer Chilt!

Ive sent you a crash report-im accumulating em as we speak but il reframe from bombarding you with em. If you require anything else from me-just howller!

Ta

Are you positive you're using the UB version? There's some stuff in there that looks somewhat out of place. Either that, or Apple switched a few wires under the hood again. I'm not saying either of those is the actual problem, but if you're using the CFM version, switching to the UB might solve your problem (which appears to be a thread sleep problem, from what I can tell).

-Chilton

Chilton
03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi,

Could you store some movies in there for me. ;)

-mark

Sure, as long as you send them to me in <10Mb chunks ;-)

-Chilton

Chilton
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Opening a scene is impossible... it just hangs with the beachball...

As far as I could see, it only happens with scenes, saved with 9.6. Older scenes work fine.

Chilton, you got my mail, too.

I really hope you figure something out.

Check thine email.

-Chilton

Chilton
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi,

"I have a LOT of space in my NewTek mail. So feel free to bombard me!"

Famous last words :D

No problems here, LW8.5 still runs fine.

I believe my list of famous last words will exceed the dimensions of my tombstone. My descendants will likely attach some kind of audio playing device, or perhaps something like an iPod touch, that will let passersby peruse the list.

-Chilton

hdace
03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi aperezg and hdace!

Thanks!

This is a closed set but I've been given permission to send this to you privately. (Pedantic little people!) The main scene is ginormuan. The version of the scene I was working on was only the foreground earth with only one of the characters. That character is a peacock. Most of my characters are a few megabytes in size but as I think you might understand, this guy is over one hundred! I exported using content manager what would have been about a gig down to 152.4 MB. I made sure the scene file is the one that suddenly stopped working last night and has not been updated in any way.

So I can't post this publicly and I can't email it to you. If you email me direct you could give me an ftp access, if you can. If you need my email you can message me privately.

Chilton
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Hdace!

I'll set up a private (locked) folder on my Mobile Me account and we can transfer it that way. I'll send you the password via a message here, and I'll remove it from the server after I download it.

Thank you!
-Chilton

hdace
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
okay

aperezg
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi aperezg and hdace!

Thanks!

Hi Chilton.

I don't have any restriction in these two scenes, I will send the scenes and the main object.

Thanks

accom
03-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi,

Check thine email.

-Chilton

Hi! Thanks for all the effort! I'll pack it first thing tommorow morning, upload it somewhere and send you the link.

hdace
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
AAaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggh!! Now the CFM won't open it either!

Otterman
03-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi, Otterman,

Are you positive you're using the UB version? There's some stuff in there that looks somewhat out of place. Either that, or Apple switched a few wires under the hood again. I'm not saying either of those is the actual problem, but if you're using the CFM version, switching to the UB might solve your problem (which appears to be a thread sleep problem, from what I can tell).

-Chilton

Ha-im daf enough to download the wrong version for sure but no, ive definately have the ub version installed. :jester:

Otterman
03-19-2009, 02:43 AM
AAaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggh!! Now the CFM won't open it either!

Hdace-i had the exact problem with one particular scene but i managed to open it eventually by hiding the objects one by one. My scene had loads of em and i managed to isolate it down to one object.

Funny thing was it was ust a simple plain polygon used for a floor.....dont figure! :devil:

Might be worth a try-hope you get it sorted. Either way, us mac users with the latest OS seem to be experiencing a few headaches of late!

hdace
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Otterman- thanks for the advice. Yesterday I would have jumped all over it but I'm done with troubleshooting. I just have to get on with this scene, on my pc, unfortunately.

Otterman
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Otterman- thanks for the advice. Yesterday I would have jumped all over it but I'm done with troubleshooting. I just have to get on with this scene, on my pc, unfortunately.

I share your frustrations....but using a pc....thats unforgivable! :thumbsdow

accom
03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
A bit off-topic:

I really love OSX - its feel, looks and its logic. Most of the time. But sometimes... when poopoo hits the fan, it really messes things up. Logical, MacPros have lots of big fans. In a MacMini, the fan is so small it messes up the Mini. :D

I'm kind of tired of some weird 'missing sweets' from SW vendors on OSX, that are available on other platforms (mostly Win's)... but then again... it looks even worse on that side, and the Linux is so exotic to me that (after few miserable attempts) I don't even dare to go seriously to that side... So, I'm stuck with my shiny 8-core ultra-sooper-dooper-fruity-gadget that can't handle a few basic operations.

Getting to understand Otterman's avatar, and praying for useful updates. :)

hdace
03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Sometimes you just have to join with dark side.

accom
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Sometimes you just have to join with dark side.

Yeah, if you have the-other-sides-platform. :D

Nah, not really. There's allways a better workaround. :)

aperezg
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
After a hard week working in my G5, a simple change let me open the scenes in my MacPro Intel.
I only changed the display mode in all viewports, in the G5. I saved the scene and then I opened it in my MacPro. The viewports were textured shaded solid; I changed them to bounding box.

I hope that this will help

hdace
03-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I tried that but I think I'll try again. I have to go from my PC to my G5.

WShawn
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I've been having my own beachball issues with 9.6. Fortunately I can still open scenes (knock on wood.) I'm on an 8 core Mac Pro running OS 10.5.5, 10GB of RAM.

I finally switched my ongoing projects to the final release of 9.6 after using the last open beta release candidate for several months. It had been working fine for me, but I ran into problems with noise-generated textures changing every time I opened the project. Moving the project to 9.6 fixed that problem, but now when I try to delete a specific object in a scene (with 86 objects and 3,294,065 polys) the object deletes, but then I get a spinning beachball and have to force quit layout.

As usual, I can work around the problem by making that object invisible to the camera and rays, but it's just another little bug that I spend an hour trying to troubleshoot, meaning an hour of lost productivity.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, Oregon

Scazzino
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a problem I've been having frequently where Layout 9.6UB just hangs...

Next time it happens go to the Activity monitor and click on LightWave and Sample Process. See if it contains anything like this...

1693 Thread_2503
1693 start
1693 _start
1693 main
1693 domessages(st_lwrender*, int)
1052 moveobject(LWObject*, unsigned int)
758 moveobject_all(MoveObjectData&)
715 invertmatrix(float*, float const*)
690 MatrixInvert
690 MatrixInvert
25 invertmatrix(float*, float const*)
43 moveobject_all(MoveObjectData&)
146 masterevent(int, void*)
93 masterevent(int, void*)
20 sEvent(void*, st_LWMasterAccess const*)
20 sEvent(void*, st_LWMasterAccess const*)
9 DBprintf
9 DBprintf
8 Bone::Flags(void*)
8 Bone::Flags(void*)
6 SEStandardBanks_Flags
6 SEStandardBanks_Flags
5 CW_Flags(void*)
5 CW_Flags(void*)
5 sFlags(void*)
5 sFlags(void*)
61 std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >::clear()
56 std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >::erase(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >)
27 std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >::erase(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >)
12 void std::_Destroy<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >)
8 bool __gnu_cxx::operator!=<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&)
8 bool __gnu_cxx::operator!=<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&)
4 void std::_Destroy<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >)
10 __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >::difference_type __gnu_cxx::operator-<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&)
10 __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >::difference_type __gnu_cxx::operator-<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > const&)
4 __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > std::__copy_normal<true, true>::copy_n<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >)
4 __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > std::__copy_normal<true, true>::copy_n<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>*, std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > > >)
2 std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >::~allocator()
2 std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >::~allocator()
1 std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >::allocator(std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > const&)
1 std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> >::allocator(std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > const&)
5 std::vector<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*>, std::allocator<std::pair<LWObject*, LWObject*> > >::clear()
46 masterflagscontain(unsigned int)
26 masterflagscontain(unsigned int)
9 SEStandardBanks_Flags
9 SEStandardBanks_Flags
6 Bone::Flags(void*)
6 Bone::Flags(void*)
3 sFlags(void*)
3 sFlags(void*)
2 CW_Flags(void*)
2 CW_Flags(void*)
38 moveobject(LWObject*, unsigned int)
3 dyld_stub_DBprintf
3 dyld_stub_DBprintf
447 PLDA<LWObject>::operator[](unsigned long)
337 PLDA<LWObject>::operator[](unsigned long)
110 std::vector<LWObject*, std::allocator<LWObject*> >::operator[](unsigned long)
110 std::vector<LWObject*, std::allocator<LWObject*> >::operator[](unsigned long)
189 domessages(st_lwrender*, int)
5 std::vector<LWObject*, std::allocator<LWObject*> >::operator[](unsigned long)
5 std::vector<LWObject*, std::allocator<LWObject*> >::operator[](unsigned long)

WShawn
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Yep, after reading this thread I took a sample and sent it to Chilton last night. It looked like your sample, although it all looks about the same to me, so I don't know what to specifically look for.

Fortunately this deleting object thing is the only hang I'm getting at this time. And it's a specific object; I can delete other objects and it won't lock up.

Long story, less long. I built this scene in the final open beta RC of LW 9.6 with a stream and trees and elk. The stream bank was a subpatch object with a displacement map applied to enhance the texture. I rendered the first 150 frames of a 400 frame scene (1280x720, long render over multiple nights). I resumed the render, only to find the displacement was visibly different than before. So I saved out the ground object using Save Trans Object to bake in the displacement. I brought in the new ground object. Then I noticed that a diffuse texture was also jumping around; updating the project to the final 9.6 release fixed that (and probably would have fixed the original displacement map problem.)

Being the anal guy I am, I wanted to delete the old ground object (rather than just have it be invisible to the camera and rays), at which point I got the lock up thing. As a test, I opened up an older version of the scene and deleted the original ground object. It deleted successfully. But then why I tried to import the new ground object with the baked in displacement, spinning beachball and lockup time.

The Aristocrats!!

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Scazzino
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Is it a complex scene/objects? Mine seems to be related to memory... when I get close to filling the RAM it starts locking up doing various things... stack samples always look very similar...

:compbeati

WShawn
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
It's the most complex scene I've ever done. As I mentioned above, it has 86 objects (although many are flat planes with images of trees and shrubs mapped to them) and over 3 million polys plus FiberFX to create grass. It shows the positive impact of wolves on a typical streambank in Yellowstone. It's nowhere near photorealistic, but it illustrates the point well and the clients are happy.

Scazzino
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
My guess is that these hangs happen when Layout runs out of RAM, and ends up in a loop thrashing RAM... Could be a memory management issue... but of course I'm just guessing from what little clues I can see on my end...

Chilton
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
The Aristocrats!!

I was going to ask what you'd call that act...

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I was going to ask what you'd call that act...

-Chilton

I don't get it... :stumped:

Anyway, does any of this give you a hint as to what's causing these hangs Chilton? Enquiring minds really want to know. Would more stack samples help?

:bowdown:

WShawn
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocrats_joke

Scazzino
03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocrats_joke

Ah... OK... Guess I'd have to hear one told (or more likely many) to really "get it"... ;)

WShawn
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Just wanted to wrap up my long tale with a flourish...

There's an (apparently) filthy documentary about the aristocrats joke, called, surprisingly, The Aristrocrats.

Shawn

Daphne
03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Same problem here and it is driving me crazy.
Stats: Mac OS X 10.5.6, Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, LW 9.6 CFM

This is NOT a huge object. It isn't sluggish during manipulation, you just live in fear of the beach ball. This wasn't periodic lockups, it was happening multiple times an hour.

I have 9.6 UB but had to go to 9.6 CFM to use the Trailer plug-in and hopefully Fprime if I can keep this thing working long enough to get to that point! When I finished edits in Modeler and clicked the pulldown to go to Layout, it ignored me and did nothing so I would open Layout independent of Modeler/Hub. Thinking that perhaps it was a Hub issue, I started to save/close the object and then quit both Modeler AND Hub before opening Layout to work on the scene. This appears to have fixed the problem so far.

After seeing this thread, I tried again to open in file in Layout with Modeler still going and it locked up on opening. Sometimes it would open successfully and allow me to edit for a while before it locked up. It has not happened in Modeler, only Layout.

Chilton, when I click the Sample button, it says "Can't sample process 2998 because it is running in Rosetta."

Scazzino
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, it may not be a "running out of RAM" issue as I thought since I've recently had it lock up with a relatively simple object... makes using 9.6 pretty hit-or-miss right now for me... I've always been running with the hub disabled... not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Chilton
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi Daphne,

Same problem here and it is driving me crazy.
Stats: Mac OS X 10.5.6, Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, LW 9.6 CFM

This is NOT a huge object. It isn't sluggish during manipulation, you just live in fear of the beach ball. This wasn't periodic lockups, it was happening multiple times an hour.

Yeouch!

First, turn OFF GLSL if it's on. That's not supported in the Rosetta emulation for CFM, and will bring the smack down on the CFM version with a quickness.

I have 9.6 UB but had to go to 9.6 CFM to use the Trailer plug-in and hopefully Fprime if I can keep this thing working long enough to get to that point!

When I finished edits in Modeler and clicked the pulldown to go to Layout, it ignored me and did nothing so I would open Layout independent of Modeler/Hub. Thinking that perhaps it was a Hub issue, I started to save/close the object and then quit both Modeler AND Hub before opening Layout to work on the scene. This appears to have fixed the problem so far.

The CFM version relies on AppleEvents to communicate, and AppleEvent processing between CFM apps and native apps is flakey to say the least. The UB version, however, uses sockets. So the UB version can't talk to the CFM version via the hub, because their hubs basically speak different languages.

After seeing this thread, I tried again to open in file in Layout with Modeler still going and it locked up on opening. Sometimes it would open successfully and allow me to edit for a while before it locked up. It has not happened in Modeler, only Layout.

This usually happens because one of the apps has sent a message to the other one, and the other one didn't respond. You can wait for the default AppleEvent timeout, which is somewhere around 2 minutes, IIRC., or just force quit.

Chilton, when I click the Sample button, it says "Can't sample process 2998 because it is running in Rosetta."

Right, the CFM version runs in Rosetta emulation on Intel Macs. One of the reasons why we don't 'officially' support it on that hardware is that the GDB debugger does not automatically work with apps of a different architecture, so crash logs and sampling are both rather useless on the CFM version, unless you're on a PPC based Mac.

Sounds like a mostly hub issue. Try renaming or moving the Hub and start those apps up again. They won't talk back and forth, but under CFM on your Intel Mac, it should work much better.

-Chilton

Daphne
03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions Chilton. "...will bring the smack down on the CFM version with a quickness" is a most accurate description of my world! Unfortunately, I already had Multitexture Shaders turned on for the Shading Method not GLSL Shaders. OpenGL Textures is turned on, not sure if that would cause a problem or not.

I was using the CFM version of both Layout and Modeler. Oddly enough, I just tried to go back and forth and it worked perfectly fine. Go figure...

I agree that my problem does appear to be primarily a Hub issue. I've never tried going without Hub but I'll definitely try your suggestion.

BTW, thanks so much for being here for us. I can't tell you how many times I have found answers here and fixed issues in the middle of the night and more than once, it was your posts that helped me. Until now, I hadn't posted with a problem so it is nice to finally "meet" the person who has saved me on so many occasions.

Otterman
04-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Bump!

Im still experiencing this problem with 9.6ub....no hub here and its hanging like a *****! Any answers to why this is. Ive resorted to using 9.3 at the mo as it is the lesser of two evils....but its not adequate by a long shot!

hdace
04-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Yeah I'm still having the same problems I've described previously. Sometimes removing a certain object or using box display solves it and sometimes it doesn't. Still switching to working on the PC most of the time.

aperezg
04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I am not as lucky as you, I can't go back to version 9.3, because I made a lot of objets with the new materials (nodes) in 9.6, and I don't have any PC.
While an update is on track, I take a pill for headaches each day.

Daphne
04-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a work-around now thankfully although I don't know if this is something that will help anyone else. I am dead in the water on my desktop (OS X 10.5.6 Intel Core 2 Duo) with 9.6 CFM but it is working on my MacBook (OS X 10.4.11 Intel Core Duo). I renamed Hub so it isn't being utilized. It would be so wonderful if these plugins were updated to run on UB!

himani
04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Same deal here... Switched to working in 9.6 in 10.5.6 and started getting beachball hangs whenever I select interface controls, say, for example, moving a slider in MorphMixer. I tend to think it's an Open GL issue as well. Another concern, I render on Quad G5 Macs, not newer Intel machines. Hopefully it's not a problem between 9.6 and the older Macs, as I have a bunch I relegate to boring tasks like rendering our work! - KK

hdace
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
If it's just rendering you want on an old PPC Mac it wouldn't be a problem if you can use ScreamerNet, in stand-alone mode if necessary. That's assuming it really is an open gl bug that's causing all the problems.

Otterman
04-23-2009, 02:52 AM
The Core and Mac UB64 threads seem pretty hot at the mo but this is my most immediate issue with lightwave....Any news on why OSX 10.5.6 and 9.6 are not playing very nicely together?

Im gonna keep bumping this because it cant be ignored-chilton or no chilton!

hdace
04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I've been away. Didn't know about Chilton. Bump all you like but my guess is we're not getting any joy on this ever.

I have a feeling my next big purchase will involve boot camp or a PC.

Daphne
04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Didn't know what about Chilton? Is he OK?

Jockomo
04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Man I've got to hand it to you guys, you must have a ton of patience to work with lightwave on a mac. I've been trying to use some mac pros that were loaned to our studio and I get so many crashes in lightwave that I just can't work on em. I even get crashes while rendering which to me is unheard of on a PC.

Anyway I had noticed a problem on the macs that sounds similar, but since so many are having this issue I don't know if this could be it, but maybe it's related.

When I build a scene on a PC, if I specify a folder to save the render files in then that file path is saved in the scene. If I don't clear this out before I bring the scene over to the mac to render, when the mac gets to that part it just locks up (the pc tells you it can't find the path and asks you where to go). Maybe the scene is referencing something that has been moved? A plugin or cfg file maybe?

good luck

hdace
04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Did you re-specify the folder to save to?

Mike Peraza
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Every time I go to the Graph Editor to adjust a camera position, Lightwave will hang up. Sometimes, I can input a numerical into the data box but if I attempt to adjust the keyframe point manually or use the LF/RT mouse adjustment it goes down.

I have to be able to tweak in coming and out going camera speeds and this makes it impossible to adjust them. Hope someone can help.

Using Mac Pro Intel 8 core, 4 GB, running 10.5.6.

Thanks,
Mike