PDA

View Full Version : new modo modeling tools are basically LWCAD

jin choung
03-16-2009, 02:05 AM
http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.modeling.part.2/

there's a part one too but starting from there, i was stunned to see how much of it is basically an homage, a love poem, to lwcad.

lwcad still has it beat and that's not just "imo"....

but unless viktor is working on a core version (as core itself is being put together), it is an advantage that will remain a 9.6 feature.

jin

p.s. dang it, and i was so hoping to see LWCAD nurbs surfaces in modeler as modeling tools (that you would need to convert to polys for layout [just like nurbs curves are only supported in modeler]). i wonder what viktor's plans are... to continue lwcad dev for 9.6 or move on or what....

IMI
03-16-2009, 03:21 AM
"new modo modeling tools are basically LWCAD"

That may very well be true, but it seems like a logical progression in any event, doesn't it?

Larry_g1s
03-16-2009, 04:28 AM
I saw some of those vids. very impressive, though I believe LWCAD's got it beat too. But impressive none the less.

but unless viktor is working on a core version (as core itself is being put together), it is an advantage that will remain a 9.6 feature.

jin

p.s. dang it, and i was so hoping to see LWCAD nurbs surfaces in modeler as modeling tools (that you would need to convert to polys for layout [just like nurbs curves are only supported in modeler]). i wonder what viktor's plans are... to continue lwcad dev for 9.6 or move on or what....I'm getting ready to produce some in-depth LWCAD training, and in the course of working some stuff out with Viktor (see details here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96401)), he has mentioned "All LWCAD 3 users will have free upgrade to CORE version." ;)

hrgiger
03-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Viktor has already said there's going to be a CORE version of LWCAD. And Modo still doesn't have all the capabilities that LWCAD has though. Still, a few good new additions for Modo.

Thomas M.
03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi Neverko,

just wondered what else you use except from Modo. XSI, Max?

Cheers
thomas

Thomas M.
03-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Mmmmh. Just spoke to a sales person, ordered Modo, and begged him for some info on what to do concerning the purchase of another software package. I personally think XSI looks pretty nice and clean and is quite powerful, but don't know if Max isn't as good or if Maya is worth the extra bucks. Hard decision to make.

Mike_RB
03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Mmmmh. Just spoke to a sales person, ordered Modo, and begged him for some info on what to do concerning the purchase of another software package. I personally think XSI looks pretty nice and clean and is quite powerful, but don't know if Max isn't as good or if Maya is worth the extra bucks. Hard decision to make.

If you have any modo questions, the forums there are a very good resource, or feel free to fire me an email if you want.

Thomas M.
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks Mike, started to download the ModoTV stuff yesterday. I hope I won't suffer too much and won't do the same stuff like in LW, but realize the Modo ways, if there are any.

I just struggle with the other question, which 3D package it will be. XSI and Max are cheaper than Maya in the short and long run and I don't believe the workflow will be any better. Sigh!

Mike_RB
03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Mike, started to download the ModoTV stuff yesterday. I hope I won't suffer too much and won't do the same stuff like in LW, but realize the Modo ways, if there are any.

I just struggle with the other question, which 3D package it will be. XSI and Max are cheaper than Maya in the short and long run and I don't believe the workflow will be any better. Sigh!

It's a lot like LWM in the good ways. Basically go through the videos to learn the few new concepts and you'll be good to go.

Workplane, Falloffs, Action Centers, Selection system. Uses the qwerty keys for major tools. Select, move, rotate, scale, element move, multi tool.

JeffrySG
03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Those Modo tools look really nice. I've heard great things about LWCAD but as the price point on LW increases so does my expectation of what the included tools should be. I'd like to see many of those tools built into CORE without having to shell out extra cash for an extra plugin such as LWCAD (as good as it might be) or fPrime.

frantbk
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Andy Brown made a good point about modo in the last modcast. He stated that you can use modo like most other 3D apps. Once you understand the way modo works and combines tools sets, you unlock so much more of modo's ability of workflow. So there is an investment in learning the modo way of workflow. Than again, what 3d app. in today's world doesn't have an investment in learning its workflow?

Yog
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Than again, what 3d app. in today's world doesn't have an investment in learning its workflow?

It's why when you have used just one package for an extended period of time it is initially hard to learn other software. Certain ways of working get imprinted upon you, which creates mental blocks for learning new ways of working. Also if you are very productive, it is hard to lose some of that productivity to spend time learning a different system.

The good news is, it gets easier the more you do it. You begin to focus more on results, rather than processes.

prometheus
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I just went through all new upcoming features of Modo 401..and yeah I was impressed, those profile tools are sweet and looks better implemented than lw cads, still..modo has more to catch up on in regards to lwcad, like all those boolean tools lwcad has..and much more.
on the other hand itīs all inside of modo not a plugin.

The deform constraint tool was sweet too..like modeling with different tool shapes that conforms to that geometry, almost like realtime molding.

edge profiles, looks sweet..but not sure if that could work as a curve preset or replacements..like in cinema 4d as an example.

another thing that was impressive was the preview renderspeed with global illumination and subsurface scattering and hdr..and volumetric light preview together with the whole scene.

In fact I got so impressed of what was shown, that Im starting to think about buying in to it..so right now it stands between that and the core.
Unfortunatly too little is shown from the core uptil now.

Some things that I need to know abut Modo thou.. I really want nurbs in there..and I need to check out their forums about what they say..the first indications I got, is that some people are complaining alot about crashes from modo..and slow sculpt painting, and no nurbs planned.

Michael

Thomas M.
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Bought it today and am curious how it's going to be.

Yog
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Some things that I need to know abut Modo thou.. I really want nurbs in there..and I need to check out their forums about what they say..the first indications I got, is that some people are complaining alot about crashes from modo..and slow sculpt painting, and no nurbs planned.

As far as I know, no plans for nurbs. Modo is and always has been billed as a sub-D modeller.

As for crashes and slow paint/sculpt, Modo is heavely Open-GL dependant, so some cards that don't have good Open-GL support may cause problems. Personally I don't get too many problems and my graphics card is a middle of the range Geoforce about 3 years old.
I probably wouldn't advise Modo as a dedicated sculpter/painter, very little compares to Zbrush or Mudbox, rather these tools are are enhancements to the overall toolset.

GregMalick
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Bought it today and am curious how it's going to be.

I highly recommend Andy Brown's Modo tutorials (sold on Modo site for $25 and down-loadable).

He covers quite a range of styles, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs. His style is a no fluff approach. For example if he has 20 bolts to put in a ship, he'll do one or two and then say "And you continue from there" and the tutorial picks up after that work was done.

More on topic for this thread:

If profiles were the only enhancement to the m401 release, I wouldn't even consider the upgrade. It's pretty much all the other enhancements that have me sold on it.

Andyjaggy
03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
When is the new Modo expected to ship?

I tried it a while ago and really liked it but never got around to purchasing it, but I'm considering taking the plunge again.

If only they had VFX tools, particles etc..... maybe that will be the last two dots......... but that is probably wishful thinking.

calilifestyle
03-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Michael

well you can open solid works parts straight in Modo. From what i heard

prometheus
03-17-2009, 05:49 AM
well..Modo does a god modeling job it seems for design visualisation process, but having real nurbs would really get my interest and I believe a lot of others
in construction design business.

well solid works import and rhino import is all good, better thou to be able to draw those nurbs inside of modo and with accuracy for rapid prototyping process.

For me that might be if I decide to get it or not.

Michael

Nicolas Jordan
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Viktor has already said there's going to be a CORE version of LWCAD.

Definitely something to look forward to especially if it has everything the current LWCAD has and then some. :)

frantbk
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Nurbs and splines seem to be very low on Luxology's list. People have asked for the last 2 years (on/off) for Nurbs and spline modeling, but nothing has come of it.

There is no doubt modo is gaining ground. I wonder if that is because of Pixar technology exchange that Lux and Pixar enter into a couple years ago?

prometheus
03-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Nurbs and splines seem to be very low on Luxology's list. People have asked for the last 2 years (on/off) for Nurbs and spline modeling, but nothing has come of it.

There is no doubt modo is gaining ground. I wonder if that is because of Pixar technology exchange that Lux and Pixar enter into a couple years ago?

Im not sure, but I think there is a Huge market to gain if accurate nurbs tools were implemented and Im refering to product design and prototyping, those markets seems to rely on accurate cad/curves with a narrow tolerence.
So..why is it not on the agenda, is it very difficult to code or implement? or simple not needed for the market that Modo is aimed at?

or maybe it is just a long list of other stuff before to implement,but eventually it might show up?

I was talking with a guy about the process of designing eyewear, and found out that they were using tools with nurbs technology due to accuracy.

so with that in mind, and my interest for starting to design eyewear, I would probably start using other software with nurbs accuracy for that kind off stuff, but all that aside I would sure like to use modo for it if I could.

Michael

frantbk
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Im not sure, but I think there is a Huge market to gain if accurate nurbs tools were implemented and Im refering to product design and prototyping, those markets seems to rely on accurate cad/curves with a narrow tolerence.
So..why is it not on the agenda, is it very difficult to code or implement? or simple not needed for the market that Modo is aimed at?

I don't think so. I think it might (I not in the inner circle at Lux) be because Lux has licensed some of its technology to Cad software companies. Bard was just at Soildworks expo, I don't think he was pushing modo. I believe he was there in support of the companies using modo technology.

or maybe it is just a long list of other stuff before to implement,but eventually it might show up?

I really don't know. In the last modcast Brad made some comments about the number of customers being large (for lux) if you counted all of the places where modo technology was in use,.. which was a very vague statement.

I was talking with a guy about the process of designing eyewear, and found out that they were using tools with nurbs technology due to accuracy.

so with that in mind, and my interest for starting to design eyewear, I would probably start using other software with nurbs accuracy for that kind off stuff, but all that aside I would sure like to use modo for it if I could.

Michael

The only thing I can say at this point, is when 401 demo is out, download it. See what you think and than go from there.

Me, I have a need for an upgrade (software and hardware), but with Core in play I'm going to sit on my wallet and see what shakes out of the trees at the end of 09. By that time Lux will be working on 402 and any bug fixes because of the new tools in 401. Also luxolgoy hasn't shown all of the new tools of 401 yet.

I'm already impressed with 401. Still I've been trained to wait, look and see whats out there before acting.

prometheus
03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
The only thing I can say at this point, is when 401 demo is out, download it. See what you think and than go from there.

I'm already impressed with 401. Still I've been trained to wait, look and see whats out there before acting.

Absolutly Im also very impressed of what Ive seen so far too, and I will test the demo, however Im not sure testing the demo can give me some clarifications on how well suited it is to do rapid prototyping, I guess I have to ask on the lux forums about that,and the subdiv vs nurbs accuracy.

And I like you will sit on my wallet for core, to see whats goin on probably to the end of 2009 like you.

Anyway..it seems that my quadra fx 1100 card has given up on me, so Im knocked out not able to do some 3d work for some time ..the pc can start only in safe mode, and I have tested different hard drives, if thatīs the case itīs gonna cost me a new expensive graphics card, leaving little room for new software.

that leaves me with lightwave 9.6 and zbrush and houdini apprentice, actually I tried out houdinis nurbs, but I havenīt got the hang of it yet, especially the curves and lofting and railing, cool thou to be able to choose
geometry type by switching modes between nurbs or polys and also abilities to sculpt it with a brush.

Looking forward to the next news update to modo 401.

Michael