PDA

View Full Version : Mocap and OSX

lwanmtr
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Is there something that is similar to Motion Builder for OSX?

SplineGod
03-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Trying to import mocap?

lwanmtr
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I want to be able to edit mocap and such, like you do in MB, then of course import to LW.

SplineGod
03-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I actually do this with IKB all the time. It works really well for that.
Also once you import mocap into LW you can also do some editing in motion mixer as well.

lwanmtr
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I've never gone directly into lw with motion..just mb to lw..how does one bring in the mocap data?

SplineGod
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
LW can import bvh files directly. It will create a null with a skeleton.
You can swap the null for a character and tweak the skeleton to fit your character.

lwanmtr
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Is there a general scale for it...I figured out importing the bvh, but it comes in waaaaaaay huge, even if i set it to .25 on scale.

Or, is there a way to just bring in the bhv motion and apply it to an existing rig?

SplineGod
03-15-2009, 11:00 PM
It depends entirely on the scale of your mesh.
Just import the bvh and then size down the null until the skeleton matches the size of the character. Once you see the scale use that to reimport the bvh and put in the scale.
Motion Builder works fine when you use its rig. When your rig differs from the standard motion builder rig you have to retarget the motions which takes time. When I intend to use mocap I make the mocap rig my default LW rig. Once I do that I apply IKBoost to the character, import the mocap data again, apply IKB to that and simply copy the motions from the bvh rig to my LW rig.
The other option is to use the same approach but use motion mixer to extract or mix motions from mocap files etc.
The problem with using some existing rig is that the rigs are probably very different.

lwanmtr
03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
The bvh I have dont use the same rig setup as the motion builder rig..similar though.
I adjust the rig from a bvh using tip move, but then the rotation during animation is all screwed up, I even tried setting rest position.

SplineGod
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Every bvh library will be slightly different the the others.
I import the bvh, blow out the motion, swap the null for the character, adjust the bones to fit, reimport the mocap file and copy the motions from that to my mocap rig.
I do this quite a bit and its pretty simple actually and I dont need to use a 3rd party app to do it. :)

lwanmtr
03-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Can you copy the whole rig motion or ??

SplineGod
03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
If youre using motion mixer or IKBoost you can copy motions from pretty much any part of the rig.
I prefer IKB for doing this because its just a lot easier to setup and go from my experience. I can copy and paste poses and clips directlly from one rig to another. IKB also allows the mocap data to be easily manipulated.

lwanmtr
03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have very little IKB experience, as it hasnt been quite usable on Mac..I guess it is more so in 9.6. have never used Motion Mixer at all..hehe.

SplineGod
03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Having used both, MB is much more difficult to pick up. The interface is pretty intimidating. :)