PDA

View Full Version : T2 & Premiere

RayLarson
02-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Since last March My T2 and Premiere have co-existed peacefully. Since loading the latest build, my premiere will no long capture or print to tape. Premiere says it can't find the necessary drivers. What has happened, does anyone have any clue. T2 is working fine...but obviously my Firewire and Premiere have an issue. I could use all the help I can get.

Faraz
02-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Can you capture in Premire from Firewire, can you capture in Toaster from firewire.

RayLarson
02-25-2003, 03:13 PM
T2 is working fine. I can open my external controller and capture thru firewore fine....it's the Premiere that is not capturing or exporting.

Scott Bates
02-25-2003, 04:26 PM
If you find the problem and it's solution let us know. It happened to me sometime last year and it hasn't found my DV devices since(but I have no known reason to lay the blame on the Toaster). I've removed and re-installed Premiere numerous times with no change. I just left it off the last time I removed it and have been happily using T2 for everything. The only thing I really miss is not being able to see every frame on the timeline, but I suppose that would suck up too much processor overhead and I'd rather work in real time.

Faraz
02-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Is DVApp working correctly, if so then I belileve that the Toaster isn' breaking it. If DVApp doesn't work, the Toaster looks like a prime suspect.

RayLarson
02-25-2003, 08:11 PM
I have never used DVapp. Maybe I need to look at it and see what I can do. Usually, if I need to export to tape I do it thru Premiere or Straight from the T2 timeline to my Panasonic DV-2000 thru y/c

Pete Draves
03-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Preniere is "quite broken " on intel and mac with the advent of v6.5
I have seen this problem on mac and intel without any other hardware.

Pete Draves

Paul Lara
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Hey, Pete,

Really nice work on those DVD's you produced!

It was great to meet you at NewTek training.

RayLarson
03-01-2003, 02:14 PM
I am running Premiere 6.0. It was working fine until the latest toaster patch. I have tried everything but no go. Looks like it's a dead soldier. I don't use it that much but I would like to get it back up and running....oh well...Video killed the Radio Star..looks like Toaster is killing Premiere

RayLarson
03-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Reloaded Premiere with the 6.02 update on top of that. Upon launch Premiere says it cannot find the IEEE drivers necessary. My dv capture in T2 works fine. Anyone have any idea what is up. It has been a problem since I loaded the 3890 patch

Norman
03-04-2003, 07:31 AM
I use Premiere 6.02 with 3890 and have no problems, other than the normal Premiere crashes, so, I doubt 3890 caused your problems.

Pete Draves
03-04-2003, 09:07 AM
No problems with this build of premiere.
The issue is with 6.5 not operating correctly in any system.

However not all firewire cards are equal!!
some use the dv codec and some use windows media codec.
check you device properties by right clicking "my computer".
left click "manage", left click "device manager.
expand out "IEEE 1394 host controllers".
double click the controller if present.
then check the driver
there should be 2 drivers listed, 1394 bus.sys and ohci1394.sys
both by microsoft. no other drivers should be installed.

Pete Draves

RayLarson
03-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Checked it out. The microsoft driver is in place and the other driver shown is as you said, although it is proceeded by Texas Instruments...authored by microsoft. All other applications using firewire including T2 and DVApp work fine. It is only Premiere that no longer works since 3890 Patch

Scott Bates
03-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Unless something has changed, there's a long history of the TI driver causing problems. Delete it and see what happens.

RayLarson
03-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Since the TI Driver is not being used it should make no difference to the problem. Actually I had switched to the Microsoft driver back at an earlier build. Would it be possible that the driver is in a place where Premier can't find them? I believe currently they are in Winnit/System32 directory.

I would be more concerened if it were my T2 that was having the problem and that is working absolutely perfect....

Scott Bates
03-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Agreed Ray, in theory at least. It's been a long time since the TI driver problem has been discussed and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, but as best I remember, just having the driver there caused problems. On the other hand, right after you started this thread I posted that my ability to capture in Premiere disappeared sometime in the past year and I was never able to get it back; and I've never had a TI driver on my system. Ain't computers fun....

:(

Scott Bates
03-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Did a quick search on the Safe Harbor forum and found the following .... FWIW

Scott

VideoToasterNT.com Community : Technical Support & Troubleshooting :
re: Changing playback camera...Help
Norman Austin - Jun 19, 2002 at 6:03pm

DVApp is a windows program, not a NewTek one, so it should work. Do you have, or have you ever had the Texas Instruments DV driver installed in your system? If you have, you will need to go to Adobe's website and read about how to remove it, then re-install the Microsoft DV drivers. The Texas Instruments driver interferes with the MSDV Driver.

RayLarson
03-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to do some more research. My DVApp works fine....The TI Driver has always been on the system. I was capturing in Premiere with that driver active, actually. When I read a similar post I de-activated it and made the Microsoft drive the active one. It was the installation of the 3890 patch that is where the problem started. I will go to Abobe's website and do some reading...I don't want to delete the driver and wind up with more porblems until I am sure.

Thanks for the info...iI use premiere for specific projects if I want to print directly to tape thru firewire. Not a big deal just a small aggrevation...sort of like owning stock in Globecaster:D

Faraz
03-05-2003, 07:11 PM
No need to delete the driver just tell Windows to use that as your 1394 driver. You can revert just as easily back to the TI driver.

RayLarson
03-05-2003, 07:14 PM
That's what I did, still no go....unless the driver needs to be set in somewhere else besides 1394EEE devices.

RayLarson
03-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Just an update. I went to the Abobe Website. Got the instructions and removed the TI Driver. Premier will still not locate the DV Driver. T2 and DVApp will function fine.

I am giving up....I have to assume it has something to do with the way 3890 deals with Firewire since it was after that update that I began to have the problem. Because I only use Premiere for limited projects, I will have to find a workaround for the time being.

SBowie
03-13-2003, 07:53 AM
You guys running Premiere may be able to help me out.

I have a client running (or attempting to run) Premiere 6.x on his Toaster system. The system appears to capture from DV just fine, but audio playback from within Premiere through the Toaster card was very choppy, unusable - though the same AVI clip imported in TEd plays fine.

Initially I thought there was simply some issue between Premiere and the Toaster's onboard sound -- I've seen this before with Decision Maker -- so we stuck in a handy Lynx card, but the problem persisted. At the moment, Toaster sound plays fine through the Toaster, other apps (like WMP) happily play through the Lynx, but Premiere audio is totally useless. Yet the clips themselves are actually fine.

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Pete Draves
03-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Remember that Premiere is quicktime based. I do not know if this will help. but when I installed premiere i chose not to install quicktime. This and adobe 6.0. Other newer versions of adobe premiere seem to be broken somehow and donot work correctly on intel or mac.

hope this helps
Pete Draves

SBowie
03-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Well, I guess re-installing Quicktime is something to try -- but as to the rest, the same version of Premiere is working fine on a neighboring P4 ... a puzzlement...:confused:

Scott Bates
03-13-2003, 10:26 AM
From the FWIW department:

If I set up Premiere (v6.0) when I load it to "DV-NTSC Standard 48kHz" (my "default" config) audio will play through the Toaster, but it is as you describe Steve - very choppy & garbled. This is the first time I've noticed that however, because I'm normally running Premiere's output into my JVC DV600 deck via firewire and then passing that out to the rest of my system (video out of the deck y/c).

For the first time, I just loaded Premiere using "NTSC 720x480 Video For Windows" and the audio plays fine through the Toaster card.

In both cases, I'm testing using a DV file captured in Premiere via firewire from the DV deck. In the latter case I set video prefs to the Main Concept DV codec and no rendering of the raw clip was required.

YMMV ;)

Scott Bates
03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Addendum to above:

Forgot to mention that when I set Premiere to use NTSC 720x480 Video For Windows ouput (and do get good audio through the Toaster) I do not get any video out of Premiere. Maybe I'm missing something, but my only video output from Premiere is via firewire so I have to use DV Playback (via firewire) and set Playback Settings to "Playback on DV Camcorder/VCR" so video and audio go to/thru my DV deck.

SBowie
03-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Scott, thanks a lot - I'll check some of this out.

Pete Draves
03-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Thats interesting. this bypasses the quicktime settings and the directx functions of premiere
that should work fine

Pete