PDA

View Full Version : Out of memory errors - HELP!!

rncjay
03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi all,
I am having major issues with out of memory errors which I am so frustrated with and I just do not know what to do and this is a very recent development.

My system is as follows:
Intel Quad Q9550 2.83 GHZ
8 Gig memory
Vista 32 bit (I also use 64 bit as needed as I have a dual boot config)
LW 9.3 (have also 9.6 loaded up)

So based on the above I really should not have any mem issues especially if my scenes are not that complicated.... right?

The memory that I seem to be using is just 41k with 285 polys in my model.

Well since of late I have started to get the following error messages when rendering:
- Not enough memory for segment buffers
- Out of memory while rendering

I have changed my Segment Memory limit to 1000 and have used different setting from 250 to 1000. My image output size is 5600 x 5600 and this is when I get the errors. If I go 50% then I do not get this error. Radiosity, caustics and global illuminations is turned on , as is reflections and refractions.

I have gone to a similar scene that I rendered months ago without problem and I am now not able to render even that scene.

The problems started after I installed 9.6. I'm starting to think that I need to do a completely fresh install of LW.

What would you advise all you good people? :help:
and thanks so much for your time.

Sensei
03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
First of all when you're installing multiple LW versions, each of them must have -c parameter in short-cut to redirect config directory.. Otherwise there will always be conflicts! Never run multiple LW not from hand made short-cuts..

Second thing: your image is at least 500 MB of continuous memory (5600 * 5600 * 4 * 4).. You should rather decrease Segment Memory Limit, than increasing.. Using 1000 means that renderer will immediately try to allocate one chunk of memory almost 1 GB size!! It will obviously fail, if there is not such memory continuous.. With small Segment Memory Limit, it won't try to allocate so huge memory in one chunk, therefor less chance to fail..

You said that you're using radiosity- I am guessing it's interpolated radiosity.. So it'll allocate a lot of small memory chunks for samples.. and divide memory.. That's why it's failing later with huge chunk.. Using non-interpolated radiosity should help, because radiosity samples won't be generated and allocated in memory..

8 GB or 2 GB or 4 GB really doesn't matter, if you're using 32 bit Windows and 32 bit LightWave.. One application can allocate and use (whether virtual or physical) just 2 GB.. With special settings enabled, just 3 GB..

rncjay
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Sensei, Thanks for the info ... I reduced Segment memory limit to 100, kicked off LW 9.6 from the actual Application file rather than the shortcut, baked radiosity, removed the tick against interpolation and its now rendering as I write this. It would take around 45 mins to render. I also forgot to mention that I have hypervoxels turned on as I have used particles in my scene.

It will take 9 segments and I have antialiasing set to PLD 9-pass. But the main thing is NO errors. So thanks for your help.

One more question though ..since I have baked radiosity will there be a reduction in quality? I guess I would have to do a couple of test renders but appreciate your views based on your experience.
Once again thanks for your time.

rncjay
03-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi all, Could someone tell me whether and how I could bake hypervoxels. I cannot seem to be able to find/do it. I have baked radiosity as per above. Does HV also get baked as part of baking radiosity?? I am using LW 9.6. Thanks heaps.

Sensei
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Bake HyperVoxels to what? To polygonal geometry, like Realflow?

rncjay
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Sensei, Yes...I think thats what I need. This is my problem. I am designing a glass/stone project and I am using Nitisara's Prismatic Shader plug-in to generate the prism effects that I need om the main object. Now to get the best effect (I think) I need to set Motion Blur to Classic or Dither. However with each pass there is a slight shift which causes my HV to be a bit blurry/out of focus.. The main object is okay. So I was thinking maybe there is a way to bake the HV into the scene which makes them nice and sharp and the shader can then do its work on the main object. Hope I have explained the matter clearly enough. As you would have deduced I am still very much a beginner in the world of LW and I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Sensei
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
AFAIK, there is no way to generate polygonal mesh from volumetrics..

I am not quite sure why are you using Motion Blur... It's for making motion blurred, so that's what you're getting with HV.. Main object probably doesn't move, so it's sharp.. HV moves, so it's blurred.. That's the way it should be..

rncjay
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Sensei ... it makes sense.. I will remove Motion Blur and see how it goes. Thanks.