PDA

View Full Version : OBJECT ID and SURFACE ID

mopa
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
:help:Hi,
First sorry for my english - i am french lightwave user
I try to use the photoshop export plugin to get the object ID and surface ID back in photoshop. Nothing happened. I have black image (for object iD sheet and surface ID too) and no selection to rescover, only just alpha selection.
Does somebody could help me?
Thank
mopa

( a friend who works with Cinema 4D calls these function : object buffer and object tag)

JeffrySG
03-14-2009, 10:36 AM
If I remember correctly, the object ID never worked. But the Surface ID does work. If you go to that layer in photoshop, you should see it as all black, but in reality there are a few shades of gray. Open the 'levels' command in photoshop and either do an 'auto levels' or adjust the 'white input level' so you can see each of your gray levels. Each different gray level will be a mask for each specific surface. Not the best approach for a buffer but it does work. The masks for each surface ID will not be anti-aliased. Just keep that in mind when compositing.

I highly recommend using the 16bit option on the PSD export.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps! :)

mopa
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you JeffrySG for your answer,
I tryed what you have said in Pshop- Ok for the gray level of surface ID layer. But what i try to get is to recover the selection ( photoshop > Selection menu> recover the selection).
May be i need an external plugin
May be is in scene editor of LG i say that becouse i'have seen that i can put and choose property…
i work it on out
If i don't find anything, your way will the be best i can do
Thanks again ( if you find somthing…you or somebody else)
see you
mopA

JeffrySG
03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you don't need an extra plugin.

The easiest way is to:

go to the surface ID layer
select all
copy
create a new channel
paste
do your level adjustments to get it so one area is all white and the rest is all black (or you can use the magic wand as well, etc.
switch to your RGB image
load that alpha channel
you'll then get a selection for that surface

mopa
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Thank you Jeff:thumbsup:
See You
Yours
mopa