PDA

View Full Version : IKB and Mac?

Triodin
03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey all -

Put in my order for KURV's IK Booster vid yesterday - while I'm desperately trying to wait patiently for its arrival - I found the ultimate buzz kill doing some searches here on the forms about IK Boost not working right on the mac - on the same token, I also found dialogue with Chilton saying that, to the best of his knowledge, all bugs have been exterminated.

I visted IKBoost.com and tried to follow along with some of the vids there to find that my controllers / nodes don't work at all like in the vid - I still haven't been able to simply "click and drag" a node - the only sure fire way to interact with anything is via the x/y/z - h/p/b numbers - and even then it's kinda wonky.

Now, this is the whole reason why I ordered the vid - to learn how to use IKBoost correctly - but I'm assuming that my IKB has to function like it should in the first place.

Any thoughts / encouragement to pass along?

-Johnny-

SplineGod
03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
The most problems Ive seen with IKB have been on the Mac. Ive used it before on a clients machine and noticed differences/problems too. No idea if NT has fixed the issues or intends to. You might also check out other free videos I have here:
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/IKBoost/

Triodin
03-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, another case of user error - thanks for the link to fvxcast - I followed things exactly and it worked just like it should!

Now I'm REALLY excited!!

Chilton
03-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Extensive work and testing went into IKBoost on the Mac at the end of our last Open Beta program. It *SHOULD* work correctly. If it fails to, please let us know!

Thanks,
-Chilton

SplineGod
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Cool, glad to know it was only user error since thats easier to solve :)

lwanmtr
03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll have to check IKB again..havent even tried it since 9.3..so we'll see if Chilton is lying (like he -always- does..hehe) :D

Scazzino
03-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I've run into the same thing and it was driving me crazy... Everything was working fine for a while, then when I reloaded the scene I could no longer click-drag the nodes but could still change them via the FK numbers... I'm not sure what's triggering this but I made two simple scenes of 5 nulls each. One was locked up and the other worked OK... I checked the scene files and there was a difference in the first IK_Booster data line as follows...

This one was locked up:
Plugin CustomObjHandler 1 IK_Booster
ver 2
1 1 1 0 0 0.001 0.1 1 0 -1 0.05 0 0 0

And this one worked fine:
ver 2
0 0 0 0 0 0.001 0.1 1 0 -1 0.05 0 0 0

Changing those first three ones to zeros in the scene file fixed it... Does anyone know what those first three numbers designate? Chilton? (LW9.6)

I've attached the two scenes...
I load the scene, activate IK Boost and click-drag a node... In NullsIKB-OK they move fine. In NullsIKB-Stuck, they're stuck...

Scazzino
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Also, sometimes when working with IKBoost in 9.6's perspective view It'll stop allowing me to click on nodes to select them. When this happens if I option-drag to slightly rotate the view, it starts working again... It seems to fail when the perspective viewport is set to be head on from the front (called back in LightWave).

[Hmm... Not happening now... may have had an object in front of the character, out of view that was getting selected instead, like the camera or a light or something?]

Chilton
03-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Mike!

One was locked up and the other worked OK... I checked the scene files and there was a difference in the first IK_Booster data line as follows...

This one was locked up:
ver 2
1 1 1 0 0 0.001 0.1 1 0 -1 0.05 0 0 0

And this one worked fine:
ver 2
0 0 0 0 0 0.001 0.1 1 0 -1 0.05 0 0 0

Changing those first three ones to zeros in the scene file fixed it... Does anyone know what those first three numbers designate? Chilton? (LW9.6)

Your assessment is correct. Here's what the first six mean...
Slot 1 (1) Lock up
Slot 2 (1) Crash
Slot 3 (1) Delete Random File
Slot 4 (0) Bind user to chair
Slot 5 (0) BSOD (Windows version Only)
Slot 6 (0.001) Times per minute to perform the above action

:devil:

Actually, I have no idea what those mean. I'll go look and let you know.

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Mike!

Your assessment is correct. Here's what the first six mean...
Slot 1 (1) Lock up
Slot 2 (1) Crash
Slot 3 (1) Delete Random File
Slot 4 (0) Bind user to chair
Slot 5 (0) BSOD (Windows version Only)
Slot 6 (0.001) Times per minute to perform the above action

:devil:

-Chilton

Ahhh, I thought it was something like that... Good one! :jester:

Scazzino
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
It could of course be SUE's fault... (Stupid User Error)... but I didn't see any settings that I messed up in the "sparse" IKBoost interface...

Scazzino
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Any luck on what those first three flags are "really" for? :hey:

Scazzino
03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm currently texturing and rigging a new character (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245442&postcount=15) that I intend on using IKBooster to animate... so I should be able to give IKBooster a good shakedown shortly... ;)

Scazzino
03-21-2009, 08:13 AM

So Chilton, were you able to lookup what those first three IKBooster flags are for in the scene file? :question:

I'd really love to know as the character's now ready (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245514&postcount=19) to start IKBooster animating shortly and I'm hoping it doesn't keep locking up on me. :goodluck:

If it's not SUE's fault I'll fog it for ya'... and of course I'll fog any other IKBooster issues I encounter on the Mac for ya' :hey:

Chilton
03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Mike,

I did find the first three, but it doesn't make any sense, so I think I'm looking at it wrong. I need to test a few things before I dare say what they are with any authority.

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi Mike,

I did find the first three, but it doesn't make any sense, so I think I'm looking at it wrong. I need to test a few things before I dare say what they are with any authority.

-Chilton

OK, thanks Chilton.

Let me know what you find... in the meantime at least I know how to unlock them by editing the scene files if they do get stuck again...

:compbeati