PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Lightwave

knuckles644
08-16-2003, 01:50 AM
I am new to the forums so please forgive me if this thread is misplaced. I am in high school so I am eligible for the student discount. However, I noticed that the Lightwave that is offered through the student discount is called an "educational version" and the upgrade to the commercial version is quite expensive. What is the difference between the regular version of Lightwave and the "educational version"? Are some features scaled back or is it a full, completely functional version of Lightwave with all the features of the regular, retail (~$1500) version of Lightwave? Thanx:)

Edit: And what is the difference between "Lightwave 3D 7.5 USB" and "Lightwave 3D 7.5 Win Parallel"?

Thank you!

grundgedanke
08-16-2003, 01:52 AM
hi,
it is a full version with all the functions. the point is that you are not allowed to use it for any commercial productions. you are not allowed to make money with it.

knuckles644
08-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by grundgedanke
hi,
it is a full version with all the functions. the point is that you are not allowed to use it for any commercial productions. you are not allowed to make money with it.

Great news! Most of my work will be used in wallpapers availible at sites like Caedes, WinCustomize and DeviantArt.:)...And...educational purposes!:D

grundgedanke
08-16-2003, 01:56 AM
as i know that should be no prob. but maybe you ask the newtek staff to be 100 percent sure. and then, have fun with lw. i am also relativly new to lw and i am very happy with my desicion to buy it. its a cool peace of software.

knuckles644
08-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Will do. I am sure you are right though. And, I agree, it is a cool piece of software. Rhino was reccomended to me, but it is used for industrial design mostly, the rendering didn't look as full featured or flexible (even with Flamingo) and when I tried the demo I was kind of frustrated with the interface and NURBS modeling. I am MUCH more used to polys!:D

grundgedanke
08-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by knuckles644
Will do. I am sure you are right though. And, I agree, it is a cool piece of software. Rhino was reccomended to me, but it is used for industrial design mostly, the rendering didn't look as full featured or flexible (even with Flamingo) and when I tried the demo I was kind of frustrated with the interface and NURBS modeling. I am MUCH more used to polys!:D

Polys, yep, so i do :)

knuckles644
08-16-2003, 02:58 AM
Another question: does the eduacational version of Lightwave sold at te NewTek provided JourneyEd include the free upgrade to ver. 8 when it comes out? Because here (http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=575015&qk_srch=3D+Design) it does!

BTW: I checked resellerratings.com to check out this store, and only 1 review:( Does anybody know anything about this online-store? Is it legit? Anybody have any first-hand experience?

Thanx, again!:D

grundgedanke
08-16-2003, 03:33 AM
as i know it includes the update to 8. but as mentioned it seems better to ask nt itself to be on the sunny side :-)