PDA

View Full Version : Photosounder

warrenwc
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Waiting around for something?
Need a distraction?
This;
http://photosounder.com
is the COOLEST thing I have seen in a long time.
Turn sound files into pictures-edit them in Photoshop (or editor of choice),
then turn them back into sound.
Also just play your photos/renders/paintings as sound.
Look at the demo vids.
Limited free demo available (I bought a commercial license 99 euros-$130),
or a non-commercial license for about $30. :boogiedow
It ROCKS.

JeffrySG
03-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Very cool concept. It would be cool if there were some basic image editing tools right in the software too. Windows only, for the mac people, just fyi.

warrenwc
03-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Very cool concept. It would be cool if there were some basic image editing tools right in the software too. Windows only, for the mac people, just fyi.

Actually, there are.
Just a white & black spray painter (and a "flashlight Sprayer for highlighting).
You can also adjust Gamma, invert, flip upside-down or rotate 90-180-270
degrees.
Furthermore:), the process is not inscrutable. If you play for a while, you get a good idea of what pictures will sound like based on color & position.
Here's one pic & the default interpretation in sound;

Tzan
03-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks interesting.

I'm not a sound person but I do know some who are also artists. So I have passed this link around. Thanks.

prometheus
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Cool ..I remember several years ago, I went to a lecture about a machine called upic (I think)..a french guy was drawing some figures on a table and a paper and a machine converted it into sound.

I would really love to see a syntheseiser that could derrive sounds from particle simulations, or even fluids, amazing possibilities lets say if you are performing a dance and did some motion capture of that..and put it on a character that affects particles or fluids and those fluids would then generate sounds based on the dancing movements in the ether.

I just tried this demo with some chaoscope images and a lightwave hypervoxels sprite lyapunov texture I did some time ago.

Michael

warrenwc
03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's one more.
the message plate from one of the Voyager probes & the corresponding sound file.
It kinda sounds like I thought it would.
EDIT;
Sorry about the ".zip.zip" on the first one. Vista was automatically putting on the .zip, then hiding the extension & I didn't notice.

art
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmm, interesting piece of software. The audio software that I use has an "instrument" that turns images into sounds, but this one looks more advanced.

The message plate definetely sounds alien :)

warrenwc
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
They're actively updating too. A full license entitles you to unlimited updates.:)

aaronv2
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
HOLY CRAP! I have seriously been waiting 8 years for something like this...

back in highschool i was amazed at winamps spectrum analyzer and i would play countless mp3s and watch their spectrums.

I came acros bucephallus bouncing ball by aphex twin and marveled at the patterns that were appearing from his music. I said to myself as i was a wannabe graphic designer back then... can it be reversed? if i made a pattern in an image could it be converted to sound.

Now I can finally do it!
Thanks go out to you and the developers of this awesome software. Fl studio here i come!

art
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Doesn't FL studio's beepmap already allow you to do this? But as I said, photosounder appears to be better.