PDA

View Full Version : Character Defromation Issues

smcstravick
03-13-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm still trying to get my head round PLK, which i've recently purchased, so please bear with me.

I have managed to get my DAZ character into Modeler using Poser Mesh, and then rigged in Layout using Poser Skeleton. So good, so far.

But when it comes to animating him in Layout, i'm getting some strange looking deformations. (see attached, at waist and chin area)

I'm hoping its something pretty straight forward that I need to do to get this problem sorted, and i'm guessing its to do with the weightmaps. I'm not having any luck with it though, can anyone with more PLK experience, give me some advice on how to fix these issues?

SplineGod
03-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Its nothing to do with PLK. You can either spend the time trying to tune the rig with weight maps or add some additional hold bones.
Also do you have subpatches on and whats your subdivision order set to. Play with bone falloff and strength settings as well.

smcstravick
03-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi Larry,

I didn't think it was anything to do with PLK.

I've done what you suggested in one of your videos on VfX Cast, where you put additional bones in the chest area, to sort out the armpit deforming.

I can't find any other tutorials online, which explain where to put other hold bones to fix any common problems. Can you recommend anywhere that I find a tutorial which would help me out?

thanks.

Giacomo99
03-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Basically, you put hold bones in areas where the model is collapsing. There's no simple formula for where to put them—the basic principle is that they hold the geometry in place, rather than deforming it. In the attached image, the "hold bones" serve to stabilize the ribcage, pelvis, and waist. (The bone projecting forward from the hip is a "pitch-control" bone and doesn't affect the deformation.) I placed them pretty much by trial and error: add a bone, bend the model, see what it looks like, repeat until satisfied.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bucket/Picture3.jpg

Getting the human form to deform correctly is a very complex business. You might be able to get passable results by adding a few hold bones in this case, but there's no universal rig that one can apply to any humanoid mesh that will produce "correct" deformations.

SplineGod
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Very true plus its more difficult with very dense meshes such as the poser or daz meshes many times.
I will take what giacomo said and take it a bit further....
I also use hold bones for more then just keeping certain areas from being deformed. Hold bones have the advantage over weight maps in that they can be animated. You can move, rotate and scale them. Somtiimes I do one or all three to get a mesh to deform properly when its bending, moving etc. Dont forget that you can also combine this with morphs.

smcstravick
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
thanks for all the advice so far. I'm starting to get somewhere with hold bones now.