PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #29-The 70's

Iain
03-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #29-The 70's
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - The 70's.
Anything from that golden age of technological advance, ace hairstyles and high taste fashion.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 18 March 2200 GMT.

R.Feeney
03-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Groovy man!

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Ya dig it?

IMI
03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
far out!

gordonrobb
03-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Cool, I know excactly what to do (if I get the chance)

art
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I was born in 1972.

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I was born in 1972.
Self portrait!

Iain
03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
I was born in 1972.

As were all the best people.:hey:
I remember a lot of whack stuff including the clothes and haircut my Mum made me wear.

THREEL
03-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I was born in 1972.

I graduated from high school in 1979. 8/

cresshead
03-13-2009, 08:24 AM
70's...a VERY cool time!

moon landings
mars mission
evil kenivel toys
bagpuss
mr benn
bod
curly wurlys
treets
very hot summers and droughts
action men
3 day weeks
piles of rubbish
daft fashions
skateboarding...whooosh!..i still have my tiger birch board!
chopper bikes
crappy long haircuts!
national health specs!
atari pong
space invaders
floating penuts in your beer!
mopeds...fantic, omz
....and lots more!

[d.o.b.>>1962]

gordonrobb
03-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I graduated from high school in 1979. 8/

As did I!

colkai
03-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Finished school in '77 ..gawd I'm old! :p

gordonrobb
03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Finished school in '77 ..gawd I'm old! :p

Yes! Yes you are! ;)

MooseDog
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Class of '78. Welcome to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!

gordonrobb
03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Class of '78. Welcome to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!

Is that extraordinarily old gentlemen?:D

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Class of '80. I clearly remember being distressed at the choice of clothing and music.

I was so happy with the New Wave of music that I had no complaints when it Rickrolled me.

colkai
03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Yes! Yes you are! ;)

Oi! - I resemble that remark! :jester:

flakester
03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Born in '74 and still trying to convince my family to burn the photos of me as a chiddler dressed up like one of the Bay City bleedin Rollers. :thumbsdow

Got a couple of ideas lined up for this round, should be a pair of doozies if I can get them to look on the screen as they do in my head already!

--
flakester.

RollerJesus
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Born in '74 and still trying to convince my family to burn the photos of me as a chiddler dressed up like one of the Bay City bleedin Rollers. :thumbsdow

Got a couple of ideas lined up for this round, should be a pair of doozies if I can get them to look on the screen as they do in my head already!

--
flakester.

Bay City bleedin Rollers... Sounds like my kinda dudes.

Oedo 808
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
@TheDommo

If there is anyone that can make this happen, it must be you. Get us those photos of flakester! :D

cresshead
03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
so who's jumping first with this>>:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackers

Myagi
03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I just had to do this one :D even if it's not really a "challenge" to model, only damn tedious without using any helping plugins/tools

edit: I wanted light streaks off the reflections, apparently didn't do anything to enable streaks on the spotlights themselves. Any suggestions how to achieve that without photoshopping would be gladly accepted, so I know how to do it next time I'd want them.

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh, star filter effect, eh?

I'd create a grayscale shape in Photoshop then load it into that plugin... Not Bloom... Corona!

Myagi
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I was a bit depserate at the end, I think I enabled just about everything. Bloom, star fileter (edit: err.. we're done with the fish puns, I meant star filter), glow and whatnot :)

edit: tried the corona filter a little, thanks for the tip!

IMI
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Looks good Myagi. :thumbsup:

Class of '83 here, born in 1965. Glad to see I'm not the oldest around here. ;)

The Floyd Rose tremolo bar, aka, "whammy bar" for electric guitars was invented somewhere around 1976 and received its first patent in '79. Eddie Van Halen was among the very first to use one, and pretty much was responsible for its immediate takeoff in popularity.

I know, I know, not exactly the first thing you think of when you think "1970's", but it definitely made a huge impact on the rock music of the late 70's.
(In all honesty, the first thing I thought of was disco. ;) )

But then I thought of this, and it worked out well because I have a guitar model I've been working on and I hadn't yet gotten around to this part. So this gave me the excuse I needed.

It's not exactly what you'd call "anatomically correct" - it's off proportion here and there, but I did my best with the time allotted. I had some reference images and even a schematic with actual measurements, but I got off that pretty quickly because it would have taken allot longer to do it with that kind of precision. So I eyeballed most of it. Not too long ago I still had a Jackson guitar with one of these on it, but I traded that guitar for an old Carvin with a standard bridge. Amazing, for all the times I looked at it, I could barely remember actual details. 8~

I spent the whole 60 minutes modeling it - would have liked to have put in more detail, but it would do OK from a distance.
I blame the crappy reflections on a crappy B/G image, and it's supposed to look more chrome-ish than it does.

IMI
03-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Here's something a little more 1970's.. a pet rock. :D

cresshead
03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
clackers>>

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71041&d=1236980850

Hopper
03-13-2009, 04:06 PM
As were all the best people.:hey:
Couldn't be any more true. :thumbsup:

clackers>>
Ahhh yes ... I remember many bruises and smashed fingers from those bad boys. I'm just lucky I never had any "Jart" incidents. lol .. lawn darts... what were they thinking... My clackers were green if I remember correctly.

I think I might be able to model a pretty decent zeppelin in 60 minutes! That's what I think of when I hear "70's". Well .. that and giant afros and bell-bottoms. :D My first car was a 1976 280z, but I think that's a little beyond my 60 minute capabilities. (and I still have it in the garage).

Oedo 808
03-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I think Myagi has got one of the 70's icons there, I only just sneaked in at the end of the 70's, but there were still a few of these around in the 80's and I remember I used to think that they made their own light.

IMI, that's a pretty impressive bit of modelling. I see what you mean about the render, I think you should give it another go because I don't think that does it justice.

Amazing, for all the times I looked at it, I could barely remember actual details.
Ha! That goes for pretty much anything I've ever tried to model from memory. :)
And people really had pet rocks? Oh man, that's a license to print money, what a great idea!

I love your clackers cresshead :hey:, how did you go about tying the string under your balls? I always failed miserably at trying to get a rhythm going with those bloody things.

I'll avoid any jokes about Hoppers green clackers, partly because I can't believe you've got a 1976 280z! I went to a track meet a few years back and there were lots of different groups gathered there, but the one car that caught my eye was this. Absolutely bloody magnificent!

When was the last time you took her out for a spin?

R.Feeney
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Just add cheese.
30 min modeling and no long surfacing.

Some memories best surpressed are returning to me, must be an acid flashback.

Starwars is from the 70`s well the original trilogy was. Could be time to try a lightsabre, should be doable in the hour.

Iain
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Something just sprang to mind when I read Hopper's post.
About 10 minutes modelling.............

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Damn, Feeney!

Hopper
03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I'll avoid any jokes about Hoppers green clackers, partly because I can't believe you've got a 1976 280z! I went to a track meet a few years back and there were lots of different groups gathered there, but the one car that caught my eye was this. Absolutely bloody magnificent!

When was the last time you took her out for a spin?
Last spring. It was wonderful. Got the cobwebs out at an autocross a few miles down the road. As soon as this horrible project is over at work, I hope to get back into my cars for a bit. I've got one AP spec'd for competitive autocross and one for 1/4 mile racing, but the one I'm really wanting to finish is my right-hand drive, which is pretty hard to come by in the states. It's in horrible shape (quite rusty), but I will save her from certain death!! (All '76 Z's btw)

Just add cheese.
Wow. You're going to have to start pulling punches Feeney! Excellent wires and great results. We can't have you winning them all now! :)

R.Feeney
03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
:D
Seriously though before these challenges I was pretty much incapable of finishing a project, the time limit is doing wonders for me.

Object and scene attached if anyone can think of a use for a 3d fondu set, I have my doubts:hey:

Replace the textured enviroment with an image world HDRI for best results

JCG
03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I think this is my first entry ever without a single subpatch.

I thought that with an object that is pretty much just boxes, I would certainly have time to model the joystick but I spent the last 12 minutes waiting for the little stencils to complete >_<; Since they didn't finish, I had to kill it and just use the stencil objects there where they were, with no shadow casting to look like labels. Only the big white one in the center is a real stencil.

I still miss you!:cry:

THREEL
03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
As did I!

Yep...We'll be having our 30 year class reunion this summer. :bday:

I thought about modeling Marcia Brady, but I knew that would take way more than an hour. :D

IMI
03-14-2009, 01:33 AM
IMI, that's a pretty impressive bit of modelling. I see what you mean about the render, I think you should give it another go because I don't think that does it justice.

Ha! That goes for pretty much anything I've ever tried to model from memory. :)
And people really had pet rocks? Oh man, that's a license to print money, what a great idea!

Thanks Oedo. But I don't see it as impressive modeling. Mostly just basic shapes with multiple copies of each, and all the parts are separate, that is, it's not a contiguous mesh, just parts stuck into each other. And the poly count is ridiculous - 230,000 or so, because I'm still too weak in subpatch modeling to do anything detailed quickly. It's a nice start for the one I want to put on my guitar model though and I can recycle some of the pieces.

Here's another render - got the chrome thing down a little better this time, but I still can't get that brushed sort of look with nodes, and I think I need a course on using BG images and light probes, not to mention I need to find some really good HDRI images for that purpose.

Pet rocks? Yeah, people bought them. It was a pretty big fad, as I recall. They even came in a little cardboard box designed like a pet carrier, and had a manual for how to care for your "pet". I had one. Half the people I knew either bought one or had one given to them as a gift. ;)

R.Feeney, that fondue set looks awesome! I remember my Mom bought one of those one day, I think just because it seemed to be the thing to do. I don't think she ever actually used it though. I remember it just sat there in the kitchen for a long time and eventually disappeared.

flakester
03-14-2009, 05:53 AM
@TheDommo
If there is anyone that can make this happen, it must be you. Get us those photos of flakester! :D

I may have to accidentally brutally remove the graphics cards from both of his computers with a meat-hook if there's any hint of the above happening! :p

I just had to do this one :D even if it's not really a "challenge" to model, only damn tedious without using any helping plugins/tools ~ edit: I wanted light streaks off the reflections, apparently didn't do anything to enable streaks on the spotlights themselves. Any suggestions how to achieve that without photoshopping would be gladly accepted, so I know how to do it next time I'd want them.

Very nice work! :thumbsup:

~ The Floyd Rose tremolo bar, aka, "whammy bar" for electric guitars was invented somewhere around 1976 and received its first patent in '79. Eddie Van Halen was among the very first to use one, and pretty much was responsible for its immediate takeoff in popularity.

~ I have a guitar model I've been working on and I hadn't yet gotten around to this part. So this gave me the excuse I needed.

Way cool there! Lovely job. :thumbsup:

clackers>>

Top stuff! As with other folk, those blighters bring back instant memories of bruises.

Just add cheese.
30 min modeling and no long surfacing.

Another wonderful entry from you Feeney; awesome work. :thumbsup:

Something just sprang to mind when I read Hopper's post.
About 10 minutes modelling.............

Ha! This was on my list of things I wanted to try for this one. Back to the drawing board I suppose! Very well done on that, ace model. :thumbsup:

I think this is my first entry ever without a single subpatch.

I thought that with an object that is pretty much just boxes, I would certainly have time to model the joystick but I spent the last 12 minutes waiting for the little stencils to complete >_<; Since they didn't finish, I had to kill it and just use the stencil objects there where they were, with no shadow casting to look like labels. Only the big white one in the center is a real stencil.

I still miss you!:cry:

:D Oooooh, the original Atari 2600. And a wonderful rendition of it too. :thumbsup:

For my first entry; the Wacky Wall Walker from Dr Fad. These became popular in the early 80s, but were around since the late 70s. I remember being pretty much hypnotised by them.

A sniff under 50 mins for the modelling, and about the same again for the layout and render.... though there is still some noise in there wih the Fprime cookout. May have to re-visit this at some point for a clear-up.

Model available as always.

Absolutely grand stuff from everyone so far.

--
flakester.

Iain
03-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Great stuff R.Feeney, IMI, JCG and flakester.
I tried an atari during the toys challenge but didn't get it finished.

The difference between the overall quality of entries now and at the beginning of these challenges is pretty dramatic.

I don't have the free time I did then but I still really enjoy it-got something more substantial to try tonight.:)

IMI
03-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you flakester, and your Wacky Wall Walkers look really good!
I remember seeing those things now, on TV commercials, but I wouldn't have ever remembered what they were called. I was too old to be playing with such things by that time though, was much more into playing with girls. ;)

Thanks Iain. Yeah, I was browsing the older challenges earlier today and you're right, the quality has elevated somewhat. It's also good to see these challenges are staying popular here and there are always allot of entries. :)

Excellent job, JCG! My best friend had one of those and that brings back allot of memories there. My parents wouldn't let me have one though. I think I'm gonna send my mom an email complaining about that now. ;)

flakester
03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
My second one for this round: A 1970s Karl Springer stool.

57 minutes for the modelling, and about half an hour for the layout.
Model available should anyone feel the need.

--
flakester.

IMI
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Lookin' good flakester. Great render too. :thumbsup:

flakester
03-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Lookin' good flakester. Great render too. :thumbsup:

Cheers Dude. Now I have to rack my brains for a third entry. :p

--
flakester.

IMI
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Cheers Dude. Now I have to rack my brains for a third entry. :p

--
flakester.

I know what you mean, I've been doing the same. ;)

Nangleator
03-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Awsome entries for this challenge!

I'm surprised no one has done this yet. It was probably invented in the 60's, but I associate it with the 70's. I've got one on my dresser, but I didn't bother unplugging it to get the proportions right.

I had such high hopes and big plans for SSS material and radiosity and so forth. Between the age of my computer and the wonkiness of the SSS nodes, I finally gave up and did this old school style. This scene would probably look the same in LW6.0.

36 minutes. Object available by request.

THREEL
03-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Well, since I haven't seen any posted, yet. Here's what I found in the sand. Not really, but the sand image, from a recent Florida trip, makes for a nice backdrop.

Anyone remember mood rings? This one is still in the amused mode.

Modeling: 55 min.
Texturing: 10 min.
Layout & Trying to fix texturing: 2 hrs, give, or take.

I would have been done with the modeling a bit sooner, but someone thought it would be amusing to throw a plastic soda bottle bomb in my yard. When it went off, it sounded like a shot gun blast. No one was hurt, but if someone would have been standing close enough, they could have been. My neighbor's teenage daughter said that this is one of the latest "fads" going on here. I guess TPing someone's yard isn't what it used to be.

BTW--There are some really great models here. Wasn't there a song called Lost In The 60's Tonight? I guess we're lost in the 70's. This brings back old memories.

IMI
03-15-2009, 01:52 AM

I'm surprised no one has done this yet. It was probably invented in the 60's, but I associate it with the 70's. I've got one on my dresser, but I didn't bother unplugging it to get the proportions right.

I had such high hopes and big plans for SSS material and radiosity and so forth. Between the age of my computer and the wonkiness of the SSS nodes, I finally gave up and did this old school style. This scene would probably look the same in LW6.0.

36 minutes. Object available by request.

DOH - not the lava lamp! You know, they still sell those in Wal-Mart.
Good job, looks good. Not a rendering challenge, remember? ;)

IMI
03-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Anyone remember mood rings? This one is still in the amused mode.

Yeah, I remember them. They were all over the place for a while there. I think after a while the stuff inside all bled together and became ruined.
Looks good!

THREEL
03-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I remember them. They were all over the place for a while there. I think after a while the stuff inside all bled together and became ruined.
Looks good!

I've heard of tie-dyed t-shirts, but tie-dyed mood rings? :stumped:

That's too funny! :ohmy:

Great job on your model, BTW. Remember the Wah-wah box, I think it was called? Wasn't it Peter Frampton that had a go with that?

IMI
03-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Great job on your model, BTW. Remember the Wah-wah box, I think it was called? Wasn't it Peter Frampton that had a go with that?

Thank you. :)
No, that was a talk box Frampton used, although he did use a wah too. But the famous sounds of "Do You Feel Like We Do" was all talk box. He still does use one, actually, and there have been very few who have come even close to his ability. I've never actually seen one but it involves singing through a tube in your mouth while playing guitar, and the electronics in the device mixes the signals together. Something like that.

The wah pedal was made famous by Jimi Hendrix. The wah was a huge thing in the '70s, but never really went out of style as far as guitar-oriented rock (GOR) goes.

THREEL
03-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah...The talk box was what I was thinking of...I just heard it at a concert Friday night. Toby Mac and his Diverse City Band were using one, still pretty cool sounding. I think one of his band members was using it while playing the keyboard, though.

flakester
03-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Awesome entries from you both Nagleator and Threel, great stuff. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

R.Feeney
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Great work guys. :thumbsup:
Anyone going to try a "rock em, sock em" Robot?

Vaders Lightsaber, the full hour modeling. I had to leave out some of the detal on it.

IMI
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Looks great RF, and I mean great. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks IMI, your arm is great too :D

Forgot to Attach the model to the last post the model.
it has a morph to turn on the blade

colkai
03-16-2009, 04:51 AM

I'm surprised no one has done this yet.
Yup, I thought there'd be a plethora of them :)

flakester
03-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Looks great RF, and I mean great. :thumbsup:
:agree:
Wonderful piece of work!

--
flakester.

Kuzey
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Here's something that was a challenge...flare jeans :D

This was the second attempt that took around 60min, but I still wasted a lot of time trying to get the front pockets right after adding a thickness to the mesh.

Kuzey

flakester
03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Cool job Kuzey! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Kuzey
03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks flakester.

I was hoping to model some flowers and peace sign for it but couldn't beat the time. :D

Kuzey

IMI
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Here's something that was a challenge...flare jeans :D

Looks good, Kuzey. :thumbsup:

Nangleator
03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Wow, I tried bellbottoms and gave up. Great job, Kuzey.

Kuzey
03-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys.

The main body was surprisingly easy to model, but I was stuck on the zipper flap during the first attempt. On the second attempt, it was the front pockets that had me running in circles :D

Kuzey

Iain
03-17-2009, 06:38 AM
A dodgy phone very similar to one we had in the late 70's.

Full hour for modelling which annoyed me a lot as I thought I'd do it (better!) in about half that.:D

Kuzey
03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Haha...got to love the 70's sense of style!

Cool phone you got there Iain...or had :hey:

Kuzey

colkai
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Aww crap, there goes my entry. :p Decided to have a go at that myself, no way am I putting my effort against this. Hmmm, what now I wonder?

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Almost exactly one hour. Took a lot of planning and thinking before i even touched my mouse.. The "nose" took me the most time, the rest was easy. I can't believe no one else did this one. I was like woo hoo! This will be fun. I will do the texturing as I have time today. Unfortunately I have had a load of work to do and squeezing it in when my boss isn't here can be tough.

art
03-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I will not have time to (try to) model it, but how about some groovy platform shoes?

http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1495/1970.html

Kuzey
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I will not have time to (try to) model it, but how about some groovy platform shoes?

http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1495/1970.html

I just downloaded some shoe images not five minutes ago :D

Kuzey

Dreamer
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
I couldn't resist joining in on this one. Fantastic entries as usual.
20 minutes modeling, 40 minutes texturing.

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Heh, "saturday night fever" lol. Great choice, Totally Groovy!

flakester
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Full hour for modelling which annoyed me a lot as I thought I'd do it (better!) in about half that.:D

I remember these too, ugly things. Bleddy good job though Iain! :thumbsup:

~ I can't believe no one else did this one. I was like woo hoo! This will be fun. ~

Nice work. :thumbsup: Believe it or not, I've had trouble coming up with ideas for this round.... even though I was around in the 70s!

I couldn't resist joining in on this one. Fantastic entries as usual.
20 minutes modeling, 40 minutes texturing.

Ha! Another one of my ideas gone! ~8-\
Very nice work on that. :thumbsup:

Great stuff so far everyone.

--
flakester.

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Added the logo, some fun paint. The logo may have pushed me over he hour limit so, if need be, judge me without the logo.

IMI
03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Very cool recent entries here. I mean, groovy, man, far out.
Keep on truckin'!
Can you dig it? :D

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Just refined the texturing to be a little more groovy....

Iain
03-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Just refined the texturing to be a little more groovy....

That looks great. I'd never even dream of tackling a car in an hour.:thumbsup:
Come on, is your F9 button broken or something? :hey:

THREEL
03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Great job you guys! :thumbsup:

I wanted to model the 8 track tape player, but haven't got that far, yet. There's something else I want to model, but I don't know if I'll get to it before the deadline. We'll see.

Kuzey
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Here's the platform shoes :D

Took 67 minutes, but at the half way mark I had to restart from the base mesh again...because it got all messed up.

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Is that Mr. Bump jumping up and down after hitting his head again :D

I had about 40 seconds to spare on this little character.

Kuzey

flakester
03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Is that Mr. Bump jumping up and down after hitting his head again :D

I had about 40 seconds to spare on this little character.

Kuzey

Sweet job Dude, Roger Hargreaves would be proud!
I think he's look at least three times as bandaged after five minutes in those platforms... which are a dang nice job also. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Excellent work guys:thumbsup:
I tried another one myself but ranout of time to complete it
The Sears Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Tower) it was finished in 1973 and was the tallest building in the world at the time

This is as far as I got in the hour, I should really learn LWCad for this sort of thing.

Oedo 808
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Yowzaa, some excellent work in this challenge! Great work chaps :thumbsup: I haven't had any time to do anything, but I'm hoping I should have plenty of time tomorrow.

Last spring. It was wonderful. Got the cobwebs out at an autocross a few miles down the road. As soon as this horrible project is over at work, I hope to get back into my cars for a bit. I've got one AP spec'd for competitive autocross and one for 1/4 mile racing, but the one I'm really wanting to finish is my right-hand drive, which is pretty hard to come by in the states. It's in horrible shape (quite rusty), but I will save her from certain death!! (All '76 Z's btw)

That sounds great, I'm officially green with envy. So it must be driving time again? You can swing by and pick me up, directions? About 3500 miles due East. ;)

Heh, enjoy!

Thanks Oedo. But I don't see it as impressive modeling. Mostly just basic shapes with multiple copies of each, and all the parts are separate, that is, it's not a contiguous mesh, just parts stuck into each other.

I suppose when you put it like that I can't say "No, it's great!", but that second render certainly gives a more real world feel to the object than the models I make, if that be down to the high poly count then subdivide away! :)

And the poly count is ridiculous - 230,000 or so, because I'm still too weak in subpatch modeling to do anything detailed quickly.

This is why I think flakester is a git :p, because he usually gets a lot of detail per poly, especially compared to my last minute panics that result it an unplanned barrage of subdivisions, though I have gotten a little better lately.

I may have to accidentally brutally remove the graphics cards from both of his computers with a meat-hook if there's any hint of the above happening! :p

Well I certaily wouldn't want you to go that far, so I shall say no more.

Come on The Dommo, you can do it!

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, though the modeling is not that accurate I think it is fun and believable and reads as a vw bus. I was basically expressionistic in the modeling style and basically went with a "good enough" philosophy. Just box modeled till close enough, then refined the nose, slapped in some handles, mirrors and such. As for the texture, I focused on it to bring together the design. Since the model lacks the detail I tried to get it in there with the textures. I used complicated patterns to emphasize the design rather than depend on strictly accurate modeling. (I think having infinite time on texture/scene is sorta cheating, but hey! I don't make the rules.) All in all I loved this challenge and hope you all like my entry. I did put hours of time into it though the model took almost exactly an hour.

Enjoy!

3DeeNut
03-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Some really nice entries on this one this week. Just started paging through all the entries now that I'm done with my bus.

@ IMI
Sick job on the pickup! Love the detail!

@Freeney
Love the FUNdu! First time i'd say "cheezy" is a compliment. Nice Nice Nice render! Nice light saber too. I think the force is strong in you and your lightwave skillz!

@JCG
Hit me in the heart with that one. My cousin owned one of those and I loved it... I had the intellivision. Nice Render/Model!

@Flakester
My mom will never allow another of those in the house. I think i made her clean the windows so any times she was ready to throw me on the wall and see if i'd slide down as slowly. Fun choice and nice job! Nice table too!

@Nangleator
I wanted to do a lava lamp soooo bad! Nice job though.

@Threel
I think mood rings were before my time but nice job none the less.

@Kuzey
Some groovy pants/platforms dude. Nice soft modeling and fun style. Wish I had that kind of finesse with my models. The shoes are so sick. I have been staring at the model for like 20 minutes trying to recreate them in my head. Really nice job.

@Iain
Nice render. Reminds me how bulky and un-ergonomic things were in those days. I mean seriously I think you could have picked up a phone and beaten someone to death with one... A motorolla razor only sounds dangerous... the phones in those days WERE dangerous. Pull the cord a little too much and end up with a broken toe! lol anyhow, nice render.

@Dreamer
Commented on yours already, but man, what a choice for a label and fun choice for a model.

Iain
03-18-2009, 04:38 AM
I won't have time to paint a proper texture and render this fella so can anyone "tell what it is yet?"
(Might be a bit UK restrictive.)

flakester
03-18-2009, 05:15 AM
I won't have time to paint a proper texture and render this fella so can anyone "tell what it is yet?"
(Might be a bit UK restrictive.)

"GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!"

Subbuteo?

If not, then my exclaimation was of no purpose! :p
Nice job there Iain. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Iain
03-18-2009, 05:26 AM
"GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!"

Subbuteo?

Bang on-I started off doing an airfix kit but after 40 minutes I had barely made a start. Then I got all nostalgic about the great (non-virtual) hobbies and toys we had back then.
You know maybe the 70's weren't so bad :)

Iain
03-18-2009, 05:31 AM
(I think having infinite time on texture/scene is sorta cheating, but hey! I don't make the rules.) All in all I loved this challenge and hope you all like my entry.

Great entry. Well done!

The rules are meant to reflect a production environment where you need to get the model done to a deadline. In those circumstances, texturing comes later, possibly even by someone else.

The textures and render are just an excuse to show off your model to it's fullest.

Iain
03-18-2009, 05:32 AM

Cool entries Kuzey. The shoes look amazing:thumbsup:

3DeeNut
03-18-2009, 06:28 AM
@Kuzey

Man, just was looking through your blog. Love your tin toys and characters but omg I want one of those planes you made from your 08' work. Insanely cool :thumbsup:

I know this comment has nothing to do with this thread, don't shoot me! Just had to mention my amazement.

Someday maybe I'll get to that level =)

Kuzey
03-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll try to get a render of the shoes done tonight. It's a good thing I saved most of the stages of the shoe, so expect a tutorial or another step by step guide soon :hey:

Kuzey

art
03-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Took 67 minutes, but at the half way mark I had to restart from the base mesh again...because it got all messed up.

Kuzey

The shoe looks great!

Kuzey
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
It's ladies night and the feeling's right...... :D

Here's a couple of quick renders.

Kuzey

flakester
03-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Kuzey

Absolutely ace stuff there Kuzey. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

RollerJesus
03-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Excellent work guys:thumbsup:
I tried another one myself but ranout of time to complete it
The Sears Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Tower) it was finished in 1973 and was the tallest building in the world at the time

This is as far as I got in the hour, I should really learn LWCad for this sort of thing.

You know they are planning on changing the name to Willis Tower? Making big headlines out here in Chicagoland.

Damn Brits!!! :devil:

Oedo 808
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Kuzey

Nice job Kuzey!

THREEL
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Hopefully, I posted this in time. The CB Radio came into its on in the 70's. I just had to do this in honor of my dad, a retired truck driver. He'll be 85 years young in July. I, also, had to do this in honor of my wife's favorite movie (note the sarcasm), Smoky And The Bandit. I think her dislike for the movie stems from a Chicago TV station that shall remain nameless (WGN) :D that tends to show the trilogy of Smoky movies constantly.

The worst part of getting this close to right was moving the cord, but it helped to refer to William's great dancing hose tutorial. tHANX William! There should be some toggle switches where the Rattler Logo (take of on Cobra, a CB radio manufacturer), but I ran out of modeling time, hence the Rattler Logo.

Modeling time: 60 min.
Texturing and layout set-up time: Forever-and-a-day!

BTW--Great job on those platforms Kuzey! :thumbsup:

3DeeNut
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Dude, they are on a whole other level...
Nice render. :thumbsup:

IMI
03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Absolutely ace stuff there Kuzey. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

No doubt! :thumbsup:

IMI
03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Great CB radio there Al. :thumbsup:

THREEL
03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Great CB radio there Al. :thumbsup:

tHANX, Mike!

flakester
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
"Breaker breaker, one niner..... Got my pedal to the metal and a schnitzen on my grooben..." or something.
Ace CB there Threel, wonderful work. Aaaaah, reminds me of my childhood. :thumbsup:

Ace work all round folks, I'm not going to have time to get another entry in for this round... Been summonsed by the Better Half, to THE PUB!! She is good to me! ~8-D

Well done so far everyone, and good luck to those who may still have time to throw something else into the ring! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Dreamer
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Great shoes and radio.

Iain
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
A CB! Fantastic :)

Lovely render on the shoes Kuzey. I'd love to see it with some blurred reflections just to remove that old cg giveaway hdri.

Oedo 808
03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Left it too late, thought I'd be able to snick this in in time, but alas not.

Excellent work chaps, this challenge seems to have raised the bar, which is great! :thumbsup:

Was supposed to be nice and hairy ;)

Kuzey
03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Here's a new render, playing with the idea of two tones instead of one and blurred the reflection :D

Kuzey

Dreamer
03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
That's it.

flakester
03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
~ Was supposed to be nice and hairy ;)
Haha!! Awesome stuff.

Here's a new render, playing with the idea of two tones instead of one and blurred the reflection :D
Kuzey
That's looking very slick Kuzey, great job. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I am blown away by the quality of models from this weeks challenge.
I hope you are all as inspired for the next challenge which I have just posted.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96575

IMI
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a great idea R.Feeney!

So, did I miss something? Who won this one?

Kuzey, that render looks great. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a great idea R.Feeney!

So, did I miss something? Who won this one?

Kuzey, that render looks great. :thumbsup:

No but I might not be around later or tomorrow to start the next one so I jumped the gun a bit :D
Iain is the judge on this one

IMI
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh, right, Iain. I got confused - I though you were supposed to judge this one.
Totally cool subject, by the way. :)

R.Feeney
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Cheers mate :)

3DeeNut
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Ill be submitting something to that one for sure. Looking forward to it!

Titus
03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Hopefully, I posted this in time. The CB Radio came into its on in the 70's. I just had to do this in honor of my dad, a retired truck driver. He'll be 85 years young in July. I, also, had to do this in honor of my wife's favorite movie (note the sarcasm), Smoky And The Bandit. I think her dislike for the movie stems from a Chicago TV station that shall remain nameless (WGN) :D that tends to show the trilogy of Smoky movies constantly.

The worst part of getting this close to right was moving the cord, but it helped to refer to William's great dancing hose tutorial. tHANX William! There should be some toggle switches where the Rattler Logo (take of on Cobra, a CB radio manufacturer), but I ran out of modeling time, hence the Rattler Logo.

Modeling time: 60 min.
Texturing and layout set-up time: Forever-and-a-day!

BTW--Great job on those platforms Kuzey! :thumbsup:

Good memories. I was a radio amateur at highschool (XE1 zone), the best way to talk with the mother at the other side of the world before internet. Spent nights talking with kiwis, aussies and truckers from all the world, I was even proeficient with a telegraph.

I think the mike is too small, it should be at least 300% larger.

THREEL
03-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Good memories. I was a radio amateur at highschool (XE1 zone), the best way to talk with the mother at the other side of the world before internet. Spent nights talking with kiwis, aussies and truckers from all the world, I was even proeficient with a telegraph.

I think the mike is too small, it should be at least 300% larger.

Yeah...Now, everything's done with the internet, or a cell phone, texting. We don't seem to talk to each other verbally to much anymore.

Here's a new render with a 150% larger mike. Does it help? I concealed the fact that, now, the mike cord looks to short by keeping part of it off camera, until I can find an easy way to lengthen it.

IMI
03-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah that looks alot better, Al. :thumbsup:

I remember that whole CB craze here well. What got me was the people walking around using the CB lingo in regular conversations in person. :screwy:

To this day I'll still say "10-4 good buddy" to someone occasionally though. Just for the nostalgia of it. :D

Iain
03-20-2009, 05:19 AM
That looks great Kuzey. Love the textures.

OK for the winner this week, I had a tough decision between a lot of entries and if I was to give special mentions, I'd probably just list all the names from the thread! but it came down to R.Feeney's fondue set and 3deenut's camper van.

3deenut has to get it this time however just for having the drive (ahem) to attempt a car in an hour and actually get away with it.

So congratulations 3deenut-you're up next week! :thumbsup:

THREEL
03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
That looks great Kuzey. Love the textures.

3deenut has to get it this time however just for having the drive (ahem) to attempt a car in an hour and actually get away with it.

So congratulations 3deenut-you're up next week! :thumbsup:

Hey, maybe we could put my CB radio in 3deenut's cool VW van. :D

Congrats 3deenuts! :thumbsup:

IMI
03-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Congrats 3deenut!
That really is an excellent model. It would take me a week to do that, and it still wouldn't look as good. ;)

THREEL
03-20-2009, 06:11 AM
tHANX IMI!

Yeah...I used to know a bunch of that CB lingo, with my dad being a trucker and all. I always wondered, if that's a big 10-4, what a little 10-4 might be. Other 10's included 10-20. Or, what's your 20, meaning what's your present location? Another was, can someone give me a 10-36, which is can someone give me the correct time? And my favorite, 10-100, which means it's time to visit the "little trucker's" room.

So... Over-and-out, and I'll catch ya on the flip side.

Check out this site for CB lingo: http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html

Nangleator
03-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Great job beating that excellent fondue set, 3deenut!

Amazing competition this week... Too many great entries. Glad I didn't have to judge that one!

Kuzey
03-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Well done 3deenut :thumbsup:

Great models all around in this challenge....loads of fun too.

Kuzey

art
03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Congratulations 3DeeNut. I could probably model a wheel in an hour :)

Dreamer
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Way to go 3DeeNut!

3DeeNut
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Never thought it ever.

Just for the record, a car would be a lot more tough than a vw van. The only reason i tried it was cause a vw van is a freakin box. LOL. Easy... I actually thought for sure that the Platform Shoes or the Fondue Set was going to take the cake. I could try and recreate the steps I took to the final model if it would interest you all... Honestly it wasn't that hard.. just a bit of planning and super speedy clicking. The only challenge really was the nose and the ridge line (seperates the top paint from the bottom). If I would have had more time, I would have added a lot more detail and would have fixed the back window... (VW Vans don't have a 2 pane rear window... realized that after completion of the model). I also used a stencil (below) to ensure I didn't waste time finessing the locations of windows and such. Luckilly too, the VW Van does has no similarity to other vehicles. This made the modeling a lot more "fudgeable". Anyhow, I am honored (and a lot supprised) that I won. I really thought Kuzeys renders had me beaten to death. I am so glad you all liked my work. I really pushed hard to get it done. It was a ton of fun!

flakester
03-23-2009, 03:18 AM
!w00t!

Grats 3DeeNut, a well deserved win. :thumbsup:
Well done all.

--
flakester.

Oedo 808
03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Oops, forgot about this, I shall resurrect in a good cause...

Congrats 3DeeNut! :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I forgot too,
Well done 3DeeNut, excellent work.

Dont forget its your turn to pick this week.

IMI
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Dont forget its your turn to pick this week.

I think he forgot. ;)