PDA

View Full Version : edge is undefined

jdomingo
03-13-2009, 05:30 AM
hi LW gurus

just want to know what i am doing wrong why the shaded part of my model has undefined edge on the reveal of the wall or moulding?

toby
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Oh yea
You've got the "GI doesn't affect Bump" blues.
There's another thread here talking about using normals instead, I'll try to find it

toby
03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Here we go
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95639&

Not sure why NT never made gi work with bump!

jdomingo
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
toby, this is not a bumped material. yes i initially plan to use bump material but doesnt give nice result so i did model the reveals. i tried using occlusion using node, it did show up the edge but too complicated for me using nodes. all help much appreciated

Sensei
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
First I would check whether do you have Render Globals > Render Lines turned on, and whether object has 1-2 point polys..

toby
03-13-2009, 08:57 PM
In that case I'd guess that your GI settings are too broad, causing it to average the lines with the surronding wall. Is your Minimum Pixel Spacing larger than 1.0?

jdomingo
03-14-2009, 02:02 AM
to sensei and toby, here are another view and another test. i followed all your suggestions and for the image 1, when i use the DP infinite light with a 90 degree value, the reveal seems to appear but when i change it to 1 or 2 and or i change to distant light (please see image 2), the shaded part of my house look like washed out and no detail. thanks for your coming help guys :help:

toby
03-14-2009, 03:09 AM
For such a small detail to be calculated by radiosity, the radiosity settings must be sized similarly. I'm pretty sure that the DP light brought out some of it because at 90 it did cast some cg light on it, but still the radiosity is not showing it. If I were you I'd put a limited region on that area and increase the resolution of the radisoity settings until the detail comes out. The angular tolerance may play a role too, I haven't sussed that one out yet, but put your multiplier back to 100% for example, and try minimum pixel spacing below 1. Btw, "use gradinets" does seem to improve radiosity accuracy and look better; I don't know if that pertains to this problem, just thought you should know.

Anti-aliasing will play a part here too, your lines are very fine and will tend to get faint depending on what you do.