PDA

View Full Version : jon stewart educates america on why we should be angry....

jin choung
03-13-2009, 03:03 AM
... and WHO we should be angry at.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221517&title=jim-cramer-interview-outtake

i'm not normally enamored of jon stewart. but his breakdown of real market/fake market... fing brilliant.

the rich getting richer... it's on our dime.

man, and those out-takes of cramer giving hedge fund advice... that should make everyone furious.

and man... WTF... it takes a comedy show to talk about these issues in the open.

and the big point that CNBC should be a part of the checks and balances apparatus instead of being cheerleaders for the motherfing crooks that should be crucified... dead on the money.

jin

p.s. man, we really need to start sharpening pitchforks... motherfers....

shrox
03-13-2009, 03:56 AM
I left the States, there are a couple of reasons.

cresshead
03-13-2009, 04:38 AM
good show

Rod Seffen
03-13-2009, 06:35 AM

I don't know where you went to avoid people that are are happy to fuk others over to get rich. Go back 5000 years and you'd have met the same kind of people.

shrox
03-13-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't know where you went to avoid people that are are happy to fuk others over to get rich. Go back 5000 years and you'd have met the same kind of people.

I have other reasons as well. America is so fearful, yet it really has nothing to be afraid of.

RebelHill
03-13-2009, 07:52 AM

if one was that u have a dodgy knee and thought ud hit up the nhs... ur gonna be very disappointed.:thumbsup:

Rod Seffen
03-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I have other reasons as well. America is so fearful, yet it really has nothing to be afraid of.

yep, but the media isn't going to sell its crap by telling the the truth, which is that we're better off today that at any point in history. People seem to like moaning and feeling that there must be something better. No matter how good things get it'll always be like that. People brought to the present from even 100 years ago would feel like they're living in relative paradise, but all we can see are the problems.

DAV-3
03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I have been in, lived in, or worked in 33 countries over the last three decades. If you think the same problems don't exist there or other places, you have selective vision.

shrox
03-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I have been in, lived in, or worked in 33 countries over the last three decades. If you think the same problems don't exist there or other places, you have selective vision.

Of course I could have been born into the lowest caste in India. I was very fortunate to have been born when and where I was. From my experience, England is a little more civilized than the US. At least the police are...English police don't seem to be so eager to push you to the ground, handcuff you, then ask questions later.

Titus
03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Shrox:

I'm also an inmigrant, my parents left my country when I was a kid and found a chance in another land, the options were to leave or die, is this country better? maybe not but we found an opportunity. I understand your POV, I'm sure you love your country but don't find a chance there.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I googled but am still unsure: where did that Cramer footage come from?

Or did he actually say that stuff on air?

shrox
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Let's hope that things in the US will get better. Obama has already lifted the restrictions on stem cell research, and has told the DEA to stop wasting time and money raiding the medical cannabis clinics in California.

DAV-3
03-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Of course I could have been born into the lowest caste in India. I was very fortunate to have been born when and where I was. From my experience, England is a little more civilized than the US. At least the police are...English police don't seem to be so eager to push you to the ground, handcuff you, then ask questions later.

But to leave this country and then continue to do commerce with it is rather hypocritical, wouldn't you say? It is an attitude in keeping with a system that would allow, for instance, their police to use :twak: excessive force? But police brutality has nothing to do with the federal system, they are governed by state laws?

shrox
03-13-2009, 08:59 AM
But to leave this country and then continue to do commerce with it is rather hypocritical, wouldn't you say? It is an attitude in keeping with a system that would allow, for instance, their police to use :twak: excessive force? But police brutality has nothing to do with the federal system, they are governed by state laws?

Not really, American military parts are made in China...and you buy gas from Islamic countries.

The US feds routinely raided California, to heck with states rights apparently.

mattclary
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
At least the police are...English police don't seem to be so eager to push you to the ground, handcuff you, then ask questions later.

And exactly how many times has that happened to you in the U.S.? Or are you just basing this on stuff you have been fed by the media? The same media that, as Jin and others have pointed out, are doing a piss poor job.

mattclary
03-13-2009, 09:06 AM

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=221517&title=jim-cramer-interview-outtake

i'm not normally enamored of jon stewart. but his breakdown of real market/fake market... fing brilliant.

man, and those out-takes of cramer giving hedge fund advice... that should make everyone furious.

and man... WTF... it takes a comedy show to talk about these issues in the open.

and the big point that CNBC should be a part of the checks and balances apparatus instead of being cheerleaders for the motherfing crooks that should be crucified... dead on the money.

jin

I think you and I actually see eye to eye on this.

DAV-3
03-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Not really, American military parts are made in China...and you buy gas from Islamic countries.

The US feds routinely raided California, to heck with states rights apparently.

Correct - but I am not the one being critical here. And while I certainly would not defend police using excessive force, I would compare the class of criminal they are dealing with. How many cops killed by criminals in the UK last year?

*Pete*
03-13-2009, 09:08 AM

i would disagree, the same problems do not always exist in other places, but instead are often replaced by other problems.

take something like corruption, powerty, crime, class society, racism and so on, you will find it everywhere but in different quantities.

if you meant to say that there is no such thing as a perfect place, i would agree with you.

shrox
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
And exactly how many times has that happened to you in the U.S.? Or are you just basing this on stuff you have been fed by the media? The same media that, as Jin and others have pointed out, are doing a piss poor job.

Once. I had witnessed a robbery. I saw it out my window. I went out to see if I could do anything, and then two cops came up, told me to freeze, then pushed me down and handcuffed me "for my own safety and theirs". Then I was held until the victims came by. The victims said, "he doesn't look anything like the guy." The cops then released me, got back in their cars, and without so much as an apology they took off. That was in Eureka, California.

Yes, I've been there, done that.

I have seen others treated badly as well.

shrox
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Let me add I chose a small town in Cornwall to settle in, I am sure there is a world of difference between here and London or Los Angeles.

mattclary
03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Once. I had witnessed a robbery. I saw it out my window. I went out to see if I could do anything, and then two cops came up, told me to freeze, then pushed me down and handcuffed me "for my own safety and theirs". Then I was held until the victims came by. The victims said, "he doesn't look anything like the guy." The cops then released me, got back in their cars, and without so much as an apology they took off. That was in Eureka, California.

Yes, I've been there, done that.

I have seen others treated badly as well.

Are you planning to stay in the U.K. forever and become a citizen there?

shrox
03-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Are you planning to stay in the U.K. forever and become a citizen there?

I plan to travel around the world a bit so I can have a more realistic perspective of the world. Yes, even the less cosmopolitan places. How's that?

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
WTF... it takes a comedy show to talk about these issues in the open.
That's one of the greatest takeaways from this amazing event. "News" outlets are all owned by corporations, who have corporate motives. Their product is only designed for one thing. Taking money from the viewer's pocket and putting it in theirs. That motivation now colors every broadcast, every story. Comedians are the only ones free to tell the truth reporters used to be able to report.

This show highlighted that problem so clearly.

In this case, the financial news media is also plainly complicit in manipulating us into putting our investment money where the plutocratic overlords could gamble with it.

The "us" is the whole world, and the "investment money" is the global economy.

Jon Stewart should get a Pulitzer, or whatever highest award accrues to the best in news reporting.

Tzan
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I googled but am still unsure: where did that Cramer footage come from?

Or did he actually say that stuff on air?

On CNN yesterday they mentioned it was an internal video from the hedge fund that Cramer managed. So nobody outside the company was supposed to see it. He said he would never say those things on tv in the video. It got released to the wild in 2007.

They didnt mention who the intended audience was. So dont say anything on video that you dont want your grandma or the SEC to hear :)

zapper1998
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM

thats why we all are going to move in with Shrox......

:)

hehehe

Chris S. (Fez)
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
On CNN yesterday they mentioned it was an internal video from the hedge fund that Cramer managed. So nobody outside the company was supposed to see it. :)

Thanks. Wow. It is such astonishingly damning footage I was wondering if a bitter crewmember leaked it.

shrox
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
thats why we all are going to move in with Shrox......

:)

hehehe

Oh great, there is barely enough hot water for a shower as it is!

Rod Seffen
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Lol, all this hippy 'rich are getting richer' crap. What exactly do you propose doing about it then? Putting a legal cap on how much money people can accumulate? It's not like if rich people didn't have all that money then poor poeple would have more and not be poor. Economics is not as simple as that.
Until we have Star Trek-like replicators and currency is made redundant there will always be rich and poor as there always has been (the gap was even greater in the past). *****ing about it changes nothing.

shrox
03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
... Until we have Star Trek-like replicators and currency is made redundant there will always be rich and poor as there always has been (the gap was even greater in the past). *****ing about it changes nothing.

Bingo! Of course, we have enough food and clothing for everyone now, it's a matter of distribution.

Lightwolf
03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
if you meant to say that there is no such thing as a perfect place, i would agree with you.
"I travelled around the globe last year, the beer was terrible. I'm not going there again" - to paraphrase a comedian.

Cheers,
Mike

mattclary
03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Bingo! Of course, we have enough food and clothing for everyone now, it's a matter of distribution.

We also have enough CG animation to go around. Perhaps we should distribute that to people who couldn't otherwise afford it? It costs almost nothing to distribute...

shrox
03-13-2009, 10:29 AM
We also have enough CG animation to go around. Perhaps we should distribute that to people who couldn't otherwise afford it? It costs almost nothing to distribute...

People can't eat CG, that should be self evident...but it can give them money, of course, then we lose that money.

Titus
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I prefer lagom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom) over greed, yeah I'm a hippie. My wife just lost in december part of her life saving thanks to Mr Madoff.

Nangleator
03-13-2009, 11:08 AM
...Perhaps we should distribute that to people who couldn't otherwise afford it? It costs almost nothing to distribute...
Oh, boo hoo. Taxes for the wealthiest 5% return to levels set by that leftist pinko commie, Ronald Reagan. Boo hoo. All our glorious captains of industry are taking their sulking and complaining off to other countries, and nothing will ever get done here again. Boo hoo.

bobakabob
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Lol, all this hippy 'rich are getting richer' crap. What exactly do you propose doing about it then? Putting a legal cap on how much money people can accumulate? It's not like if rich people didn't have all that money then poor poeple would have more and not be poor. Economics is not as simple as that.
Until we have Star Trek-like replicators and currency is made redundant there will always be rich and poor as there always has been (the gap was even greater in the past). *****ing about it changes nothing.

That sounds a bit defeatist. No-one's proposing all animals should be equal or retro Chinese Communist style boiler suits (though I'd like to see a few bankers wearing them now they've been effectively nationalised).

But the unacceptable dark side of Western capitalism, rapacious greed, illustrated by the deregulation of banks selling debt to the deluded masses is the root cause of this financial disaster. The whole tower of cards, propped up with IOUs, beermats and Monopoly money is now crashing down. It's all been a sham of a mockery of an illusion and it's cost millions their livelihoods.

And now besuited multi millionaire bankers with zero social conscience are being bailed out by the taxpayer when that money could be invested in schools and hospitals - and still paying themselves telephone figure salaries and bonuses.

Maybe we do need a revolution :)

beverins
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Jon Stewart with the Smackdown. Awesome!

wp_capozzi
03-13-2009, 11:39 AM

jin

Pitchforks are sharpened and torches are lit!

adamredwoods
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM

also here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LceizefhP4k

"...CNBC could be an incredibly powerful tool of illumination..."

It's obvious that television, and news television, rarely walks down this route. They, too, are dependent upon the almighty dollar-- SAME as the stock market wizards.

Jon Stewart does admit at the beginning they are both snake oils salesmen, but continuously berates Cramer for his show antics and not being hard enough to expose the truth.

Stewart is the same way. I've seen guests on his show that he could have put through the ringer, but doesn't. Heck, getting Jim Cramer on the show is an attempt to boost Stewart's ratings.

Its all about ratings in the news world. Not enough news? Create your own.

The only way to get unbiased news is to show both sides to every single story, and to present facts weighted in favor of both sides. But then a news story would be too long and the US audience rarely has that length of attention span.

Stewart really didnt give enough of a chance for Cramer to defend himself. This show was too biased. News? I think not. Different perspective? Maybe.

adamredwoods
03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Also, if you want to know more about Jim Cramer, read his autobiography, "Confessions of a Street Addict". He was a journalist before he was a stock broker.

Also in the book, he does talk about how stock analysts can be manipulated to move a stock one way or another. None of this is new.

Jim_C
03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
The complete rundown of all the clips is on the left under 'Cramer vs Non-Cramer'

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

akademus
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh great, there is barely enough hot water for a shower as it is!

One of the coolest things about Australia is that you never run out of hot water for shower. I recall being late for work just because I stayed for an hour under shower. Yes, waste of water and energy but I had to find out will it ever end. It didn't.

Shrox, the greatest thing about living abroad is that you can compare two cultures and see way beyond what people who only live in their native country see.

lwanmtr
03-13-2009, 01:50 PM
All I can say is that civilization isn't crumbling fast enough..I think it should get it over with and collapse already.

jin choung
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Stewart is the same way. I've seen guests on his show that he could have put through the ringer, but doesn't. Heck, getting Jim Cramer on the show is an attempt to boost Stewart's ratings.

like i said, i'm not a huge jon stewart fan. but he deserves a medal for THIS.

cramer had PLENTY of opportunity to defend himself. there are many times where jon stewart reclines back to give cramer a chance to talk.

but what cramer says was never relevant to the issue being talked about:

that CNBC and cramer are NOT objective but CHEERLEADERS FOR THE FATCATS.

instead of calling on the BULLSH1T that cramer himself PERPETRATED and KNEW EXISTED, they went on instead PERPETRATING AN ILLUSION for the vast majority of viewers NOT IN ON THE JOKE.

also cramer LIED by saying that he was saying that he was not doing what he was describing after the first clip. a point that is driven home by all the SUCCESSIVE CLIPS! he didn't defend himself because HE COULDN'T.

not calling the bullsh1t on people using the 401k money of the poorer classes to do SHORT TERM CHURNING to generate short term profits for themselves at the expense of the long term which they have no stake in.

their attitude - TAKE THE MOTHERFING MONEY AND RUN.

seriously, break out the pitchforks, torches and crucifixion hammers. these motherfers have to pay.

jin

p.s. i also think that by making madoff the face of this, wall street (and the media) is using him as a scapegoat... DIVERT ATTENTION away from ALL the motherfers involved in unscrupulous dealings. don't be led astray. there are MANY who need to go to prison for this.

ramccombe
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
like i said, i'm not a huge jon stewart fan. but he deserves a medal for THIS.

cramer had PLENTY of opportunity to defend himself. there are many times where jon stewart reclines back to give cramer a chance to talk.

but what cramer says was never relevant to the issue being talked about:

that CNBC and cramer are NOT objective but CHEERLEADERS FOR THE FATCATS.

instead of calling on the BULLSH1T that cramer himself PERPETRATED and KNEW EXISTED, they went on instead PERPETRATING AN ILLUSION for the vast majority of viewers NOT IN ON THE JOKE.

also cramer LIED by saying that he was saying that he was not doing what he was describing after the first clip. a point that is driven home by all the SUCCESSIVE CLIPS! he didn't defend himself because HE COULDN'T.

not calling the bullsh1t on people using the 401k money of the poorer classes to do SHORT TERM CHURNING to generate short term profits for themselves at the expense of the long term which they have no stake in.

their attitude - TAKE THE MOTHERFING MONEY AND RUN.

seriously, break out the pitchforks, torches and crucifixion hammers. these motherfers have to pay.

jin

p.s. i also think that by making madoff the face of this, wall street (and the media) is using him as a scapegoat... DIVERT ATTENTION away from ALL the motherfers involved in unscrupulous dealings. don't be led astray. there are MANY who need to go to prison for this.

Love the passion Jin and I couldn't agree more. Get out the pitchforks. I also am glad you made the point that Cramer could not defend his actions. I think Jon Stewart most eloquently pulled the pants of CNBC down for all the world to see. Well done Mr. Stewart.:agree:

lwanmtr
03-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Havent seen the interview yet (ill watch it tonight at 8)..but it sounds like a fun time..hehe.

DiedonD
03-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I plan to travel around the world a bit so I can have a more realistic perspective of the world. Yes, even the less cosmopolitan places. How's that?

Well, Erm... You and Zapper, if you will travel from west to East to see the world, you know where to stop before moving on further right?

DiedonD
03-14-2009, 01:48 AM

Well must all discussions here immediately mean that there must be action related to that discussion, and thereby with the successful carrying out those actions, bring about change?

Cant this only be a decent chat among fellow coleagues?

dobermunk
03-14-2009, 05:39 AM

I have personally been beaten by law enforcement in both Texas and California. I've been intimated in NYC and also in the wrong place/wrong time (TompkinSq 'riots' - you could as easily call it the police squad romping grounds), but the big apple is candy-coated in comparison to LA. And some Texas cops are so phobic against anything that looks mildly unfamiliar that they react with pure vile. I was dragged from my morning grits into the street and beaten for what I can only assume was failing to salute an officer while having a non-conform haircut and NY license plates.

I can only recommend anyone from any country to put yourself out of the context which you know and into unknown territory - whether in your own country or not. It can be as simple as making yourself look different.

dobermunk
03-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Also... Jin, thanks for posting this. I share your sentiments exactly and rejoice to see a journalist / comedian doing this kind of work.

Zane Condren
03-14-2009, 02:41 PM
This is not the place for this discussion. I am sure a quick web search will turn up plenty of other forums where you can carry on with this conversation.