PDA

View Full Version : External Keyer possible?

pro---studio
03-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi,

maybe anyone has tried this:

I want to use an external (Ultimatte) keyer. I'm trying to get the best possible key within a virtual set. The built in keyer of the Tricaster Broadcast is OK but we have an external Ultimatte device which does a better key and has more tweaking power.

Any idea if that could work and how?

Thank you

Pro.

billmi
03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Tricaster doesn't allow for keying into a LiveSet with a separate alpha channel.

The only thing you could really do to use the Ultimatte to augment your keying would be use it to generate a cleaner keyable video image. If you pass your camera footage through the Ultimatte and use it to key the talent over a computer generated green screen, then pass that to the Tricaster. In theory that should give you a better green screen shot (smooth computer generated green, rather than lighting variations, etc.) to key from in the Tricaster keyer - worth testing if you've already got the Ultimatte.

pro---studio
03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I actually wanted to use the Ultimatte for a better quality on the edges of the key that look a little bit "technical and hard" on the tricaster. Our Ultimatte produces a much more natural key.

Damn - I thought there would be a way to do this.

Cheers

Pro

Adam_LightPlay
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Bilmi's idea looked good. Have you played with the Smooth knob?
Or
You'd loose the cool shadows and reflections, but you could do all the chromakeying upstream, by feeding whatever background video/picture into the Ultimatte box, too.

Then just using it's output as a finished input to the TriCaster

xleggs
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
It would be nice if you could use the fx bus as the key hole source, then you could tap the camera output to your ultimatte and bring it in another camera input.

I found myself looking to do an external key like that for an effect.

Overall, though, with about a half-hour of tweaking, I was able to come up with a nice green screen key.

It definitely helped when I switched my camera input (Canon XH-A1) from composite to component.

Paul Lara
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
It definitely helped when I switched my camera input (Canon XH-A1) from composite to component.

Oh, absolutely! Even going up from composite to Y/C helps tremendously, as composite is the WORST thing to try to key from.

PIZAZZ
03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Though not exactly a TriCaster situation but still similar enough...

For the WSOPE show we needed to integrate a Dekocast graphics box into our VT workflow. I ended up using the Deko SDI output into a SDI input on the VT SXSDI board and then keyed on a green background the Deko generated behind the graphics. The key looked tons better than the Sony 30K switcher had that we used previously and that was with the fill and alpha separately inputed on the Sony.

My point is if you have a Broadcast with SDI inputs and you take a SDI out of anything to key with. Your quality can be very very high.

I saved my client about 5k in rental for another Sony switcher.

pro---studio
03-27-2009, 02:40 AM
OK - maybe I just hdn't enough time to play with the settings of the internal Tricaster Keyer. Sounds like you are really happy with it.

I'll give it another try today and see what happens.

I know that the internal keyers of sony consoles aren't the best. But if you ever worked with a Ultimatte device and saw how clean the mattes are, it is hard to use another brand for keying.

then keyed on a green background the Deko generated behind the graphics.

Yeah - that sounds like a good idea. But for titles this thing does not work very well because we use a lot of half-opaque elements that you can't do with a chroma key.

Cheers

Pro.