PDA

View Full Version : animationmentor.com

Soth
03-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi all,
Did anyone finished this school (http://www.animationmentor.com/) (possibly using Lightwave as the animation tool)?

Stunt Pixels
03-12-2009, 03:37 AM
I don't think anyone uses Lightwave at AM. All the rigs are provided as Maya rigs, and are really nicely set up. Maybe someone uses other than Maya, but I've yet to see it... You could PM Marvin Miller - the tech writer for Newtek - he's an AM allumni.

akademus
03-12-2009, 05:02 AM
You'd be better off using Maya for AM course.

You have lectures on Maya in their resources and knowledge needed for character animating is fairly simple.

And you'll add a new software to the package.

Cheers

Soth
03-12-2009, 05:10 AM
...and buy one, I am freelancing, have XSI and LightWave. It stands on theirs website that is ok to use another package as they try to teach you how to animate not the software.

Stunt Pixels
03-12-2009, 05:14 AM
...and buy one, I am freelancing, have XSI and LightWave. It stands on theirs website that is ok to use another package as they try to teach you how to animate not the software.

Oh, it's fine to use another package if you're up to it. There are people who do a lot of their work with pencil and paper... There's nothing stopping you from using LW, it's just that they only provide their rigged characters for Maya.

Soth
03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
That what can stop me, I am not sure if I am proficient enough to recreate Maya righs in the LightWave... :(

Stunt Pixels
03-12-2009, 05:58 AM
That what can stop me, I am not sure if I am proficient enough to recreate Maya righs in the LightWave... :(

Seriously, if you're looking at AM and worried about your rigging, just get the Maya academic version. You get a voucher when you start AM to get the whole Autodesk academic suite for a couple of hundred bucks (hey, I haven't even installed Motion Builder). AM provide a number of video tutes for Maya with the normal classes, or you can do a pre-term Maya springboard class that covers Maya and AM software. Rigging is nothing to be worried about if you're not into it now.

Soth
03-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Well I am still hoping that someone did those rigs in the LightWave and that will be so much easier, you shall understand i relerned many many things when I added Modo and XSI to software that I am using, just do not want to do it again, and then it will make more problems in the producion, there is only two of us, I do not want to spend hours of production converting stuff. :D

I used Auto Character Setup few years ago, it seemed to be so easy... ;)

p.s.Thank you for all help.

RebelHill
03-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Its certainly possible to make fully featured character rigs in LW to pull off all the funky locks and tricks that you'd need, i do ti all the time... however AM keep their rig a very closely guarded thing so far as Ive seen... so knowing exactly what functionality is in their rig, and more importantly is needed for their classes is very hard to judge... Im tempted to say YES, you can create just as capable a rig in LW... but without knowing the ins and outs of the AM control rig, its hard to be sure.

Stunt Pixels
03-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Well I am still hoping that someone did those rigs in the LightWave and that will be so much easier, you shall understand i relerned many many things when I added Modo and XSI to software that I am using, just do not want to do it again, and then it will make more problems in the producion, there is only two of us, I do not want to spend hours of production converting stuff. :D

Someone has done the first couple of rigs for LW, but with variations. Nice rigs though:
http://www.nemac4.com/Gen_Rigs/
They should be fine to cover you for the first term or two.

I know what you mean about software overload though. I was really loathe to start using Maya, but it hasn't interfered with LW at all. In the first term you need to know the Maya graph editor, basic navigation, and that's about it. As you use it you pick up extra bits, but because you don't need modelling, lighting, or surfacing, I haven't found it to interfere with LW at all, or use more time than the first couple of days to familiarize myself with the basics. You will find as you go on you pick up a little extra each week, cause you will want to do something extra. But you could do the whole course knowing only the very basics in Maya...

Stunt Pixels
03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
so knowing exactly what functionality is in their rig, and more importantly is needed for their classes is very hard to judge... Im tempted to say YES, you can create just as capable a rig in LW... but without knowing the ins and outs of the AM control rig, its hard to be sure.
It's definitely doable in LW for a good rigger. I'm just not one of those...

RebelHill
03-12-2009, 07:45 AM
In the first term you need to know the Maya graph editor, basic navigation, and that's about it. As you use it you pick up extra bits, but because you don't need modelling, lighting, or surfacing...

But you could do the whole course knowing only the very basics in Maya...

this is what Ive always thought... Oddly enough I only ever seem to get work working with LW, mainly i think cos of the nature of my working offsite, and LW is i think bigger as an independant users software...

but ive never sold myself as an LW character animator... I know what I use for animation... move/rotate, couple sliders. morf group, and a graph/curve editor... Im sure that if someone sent me a fully functional rig in maya, xsi, ro awhatever else... id only need a half hour crash course to learn how to click, select, make key, move and delete key... and id be away just fine.

I have been meaning to make my own generic rigs for LW community, fully featured with controls, locks and automations... maybe its time i got busy on that.

Soth
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
maybe its time i got busy on that.

:i_agree::i_agree::i_agree:

RebelHill
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
lol...

well, Ill try to get round to it... but i still got work sadly... and need to be on the hunt for more work soon too... but i do... i REALLY do wanna get round to making some newly featured rigs using some of the great new tricks in 9.6 for the community to play with...

In the meantime, ur welcome to my previous rigs...

www.rebelhill.net/bits/tstrigs.zip

They're pretty damn functional, but dont have repin and space switching, nor independant elbow lock offs... they've also only got more basic hand space controls. They were built for 7.5 using PLGik (so ull need tog et that plug if u aint, its free)... so they got great switching, no pop or flipping, mgo blending, etc, etc...

But give em a go in the meantime.

See... not only do I need to get new, more functional rigs out... I need to do it just so as I can put together a better rig reel too, lol.

Soth
03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
COOL, thank you guys, and I am wainting for more, you know new demo reel, new better clients :P