PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX OpenGL updating?

IMI
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Is there an issue with FFX and OpenGL viewport updating in Layout? Or is there some way I can force it to update after making a change?

There are only a couple things that will update in OpenGL right after making changes, but most won't. Gravity will. Clump and Random Length will *sometimes*, if using the slider and not typing something in, but I think that's all. Other changes *may* update if I turn off OpenGL and then turn it back on and THEN make a change, but they also *might not* update. Even when they do I only get one shot and have to keep turning the OGL preview on/off in between every change. As I said though this doesn't always work and seems to be random.

Otherwise, I have to do an F9 render. After it's rendered and I press Continue, then the viewport display will show the changes I made in OpenGL. Sort of the way VIPER works for some things.

Needless to say it's kind of annoying. I'm hoping there's some magic button somewhere I forgot to press, but all the OpenGL options are turned on and I've tried it both with and without GLSL.

Or does this maybe only work all the time and correctly with a Quadro?

LW 9.6 64 bit
Vista Ultimate x64
Q9550, 8 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB with the latest driver, 182.08.

EDIT:
I might add that it's not only the options in the Geometry tab, but all the others as well. Sometimes color updates, sometimes not.

toby
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I think we're all in the same boat on that one. And I thought advancing the timeline made it update?

IMI
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I think we're all in the same boat on that one. And I thought advancing the timeline made it update?

I didn't think about advancing the timeline. Now that you mention it though I think one of the tutorials said that. That does work though, so thank you.

That was with an object I was trying to do solely with Layout, applying FFX to the whole object. That problem doesn't seem to happen as much with strands made in Modeler - they seem to update more often. *shrug*

But I guess moving the timeline slider is as close to a magic button as there is. ;)

probiner
03-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Try to go to Keyboard Shortcuts and bind "Refresh Items and Viewports" to a key.
Cheers

Easy way to test for general porpuse is to turn Autokey Off, make a change and press they refresh key.

IMI
03-12-2009, 03:51 AM
Try to go to Keyboard Shortcuts and bind "Refresh Items and Viewports" to a key.
Cheers

Easy way to test for general porpuse is to turn Autokey Off, make a change and press they refresh key.

I didn't even know there was such a command in Layout. I never noticed it before, so thanks for that at least. :)

But it doesn't work for FFX, at least not for me. Moving the timeline slider does, but not that.

IMI
03-12-2009, 04:56 AM
ppphhhtttt!
I repeat, ppphhhtttt!

I take that back - the OpenGL view refresh - what works and what doesn't - seems to vary from model to model. Now I'm working on one that won't even refresh after a gravity parameter change, and nothing at all is refreshing after moving the time slider. It only refreshes after an F9 render. (And I won't even go into how the shadows look - I'll save that for some other thread....)

It's not like my video card isn't capable, either. Moving this object around in full OpenGL in texture mode in all viewports is just fine - all the other OGL options are doing just as they should, and quickly, too.

This stuff shouldn't happen to me. I've read alot of threads over the years from 3D software to games, with people having graphic display issues of all sorts, but I never do. These sorts of things are supposed to happen to someone else, not me. It's just not fair. ;)

IMI
03-12-2009, 05:43 AM
And another thing I just noticed - maybe someone can check to see if this happens to them too?

In the FiberFX pixel filter editing panel, if the "Max Fiber Density" setting is on any number other than percentages divisible by 50, the OpenGL preview gives a really strange result. Patches of fibers become invisible and you can see through to the object. Just the preview - they render fine.
That is, 50%, 100%, 200%, 150%, 250%, 400%, 450%, ... and so on don't give me that display error.
Values like 49%, 190%, 125%, 220% and so on - anything not divisible by 50 - always give me that missing fiber preview effect.

creacon
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
We were struggling with the same problems, so I installed fflt.p from an old beta, it updates on about everything and it renders faster. Luckily this is a plugin and you can use it in the release version.

Newtek definitely did something wrong just before release, I just wish they would fix it. I reported the whole thing to lwbugs.

creacon