PDA

View Full Version : quick question about bake radiosity.

duellestyle
03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi, I'm very stressed becouse I was baking a radiosity scene of 3300 frames and after 20 hours lw crashed!...anyway I made a copy of my cache file and continue to render from the frame that I think it stopped. Lw ask me if I wanted to overwrite the cache file and I said yes (I already made a copy of it) so my question is...did lw continue to store the new backing frames adding them to the old one or it start to write frome the beginning losing so everything?

thanks.

p.s. quick reply please.

duellestyle
03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
well..I think that I can answer myself. The cache size of the new one from 2600 to 3300 is 17.849 kb instead the old one from 0 to 2600 or more is just 2.342, so I think that I loose the first part! :devil:

I think that lw write the entire cache file at the end and not after every baked frame...would be good if in the next release NewTek will sotre cache at the end of every baked frame and not at the end.

thanks

toby
03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I agree, it's enough that it has to be rendered on one machine, it shouldn't all be packed into one file as well. Give us one file per frame, then we can stop anytime and pick up where we left off.

duellestyle
03-12-2009, 02:49 AM
yeah that's totally true! or give us an option to choose between one big file or lots small one !

duellestyle
03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
...after spent another 20 hours to bake the radiosity scene, I found that after if I render using it, the render time slow down a lot especially if you use FiberFX!(instead to make it faster) so I decided to use the automatic option and let the radiosity calculate on time. I dunno why it happend!

Anyway the cahce file is 49 mb.

with cache some frames took 20 min, instead calculatin the GI on time just toke it 3 min :devil: CRAAZYYY!!!

Mr Rid
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
...after spent another 20 hours to bake the radiosity scene, I found that after if I render using it, the render time slow down a lot especially if you use FiberFX!(instead to make it faster) so I decided to use the automatic option and let the radiosity calculate on time. I dunno why it happend!

Anyway the cahce file is 49 mb.

with cache some frames took 20 min, instead calculatin the GI on time just toke it 3 min :devil: CRAAZYYY!!!

Animated radiosity cache will generally mean much longer render times, not shorter ones as most people expect. The real purpose of animated caching is to avoid the typical uneven radiosity flickering from frame to frame (although it may worsen with reflective surfaces) when using settings with reasonable render times. But with optimal settings, moblur, & AA then I find that the feint flickering is not usually an issue and should just render without caching and faster render times.

With 3300 frames, you might also consider breaking the render into a few ranges.

GraphXs
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, thats bad that animated cache turns the rendering to insane render times, I to thought it would be faster. What about using frame stepping, rendering every 10th frame, would it be quicker?

It doesn't make sense to me, I thought the idea behind the caching was to render all the rays/bounces for all frames of the animation and at that time. The radiosity would look at the before and after frames during the caching. So the only thing LW would render at the final frame was reflections, blurs, textures, and raytracing shadows. That makes sense to me, it should work that way, does it?

Oh and does anyone have any nice settings they use for rendering. I know except made a great guide, but some generic settings would be nice to know. Say for inside use these settings, for outside use this, for reflections use this...and so on.

I wonder what newtek will do to improve or explain the good use for it. I 've been using V-Ray in Max and it is super fast GI and has setting for "animation". Sure it caculates the radosity every frame, but it is fast. The only strange issue so far is that motion blur didn't render reflections??? Still learning it. Though I would love to use LW rendering in our pipeline.

Why we are on the topic of rendering does anone here use butterfly Net render? Is it easy to setup? We want to use it for Max, LW, and Aftereffects, anyone have a pipeline like this?

ScremerNet seems to difficult for my dead brain cells.:jester:

toby
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, thats bad that animated cache turns the rendering to insane render times, I to thought it would be faster. What about using frame stepping, rendering every 10th frame, would it be quicker?should be, but I'm betting that nth-frame cache will only work for arch-viz walkthroughs. An animated character moves more than enough over one frame to show render errors if there's no cache for that frame.

It doesn't make sense to me, I thought the idea behind the caching was to render all the rays/bounces for all frames of the animation and at that time. The radiosity would look at the before and after frames during the caching. So the only thing LW would render at the final frame was reflections, blurs, textures, and raytracing shadows. That makes sense to me, it should work that way, does it?What the cache does not take into account is anti-aliasing and motion blur, so there's more GI calculation needed at rendertime. But LW will always add radiosity samples where it thinks it needs them, unlike vray (which doesn't slow down with cache and animation), to try and guarantee that you get no black spots, which is normally the artists' job. That may be expensive. Or maybe LW just needs more optimization. Anim cache taking longer than regular cache is one thing, but taking longer than non-cached GI doesn't seem right at all.

duellestyle
03-13-2009, 02:58 AM
well, to answer to Mr Rid, of course I broke the scene in parts. I broke whenever there is a changing camera, so in this way if the radiosity is slightly different, you can't see the flicker becuse change the camera! ;)