PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on FBX

zippitt
03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Working on a small project to get Lightwave models into XNA.

While we have the model working for the most part I would like to get some walk cycle animations into the FBX file.

Of course the problem being it that lightwave saves the models as FBX and the animations can be saved in something like MDD.

How can I imbed information that is stored in the MDD into the FBX so I can work with the animations using XNA?

toby
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Are you using the Export to FBX plugin in Layout? I don't think mdd's are used in fbx, mdd's are the location for every point in the model for every frame. Fbx uses keyframe animation, if I recall correctly... it's been a long time. Old plugin too! Let me know if you need a copy.

StereoMike
03-12-2009, 02:37 AM
For DXstudio (realtime dev kit) I use export to fbx.
I have to bake every motion and it imports well. No problems in that regard. I just have to make sure, that every animated object has a keyframe on the last frame.
Only thing with dxstudio is, the scene imports flipped on x-axis, I don't know if it's a fbx exporter fault or if dxstudio malfunctions, but the guys at DXS are onto the case, and until they fix it, I simply flip all polys in LW, export it and in DXS I scale the object by -1 on X.

mike

Skonk
03-12-2009, 03:14 AM
As has been said, if you export from Layout then the animation will be stored in the file.

XNA will not play back this animation though, you would have to write code to extract, manage and playback the animation yourself (xna's Model struct doesn't support animation by default).

zippitt
03-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys, was a duh moment there.

As it turns out I assumed I couldn't export FBX in layout using 9.6 because the option wasn't there, it was only in modeler.

I got home where my machine was still running 9.5 and noticed it did have export FBX in layout.

I logged back into my 9.6 and dragged FBX into the export, tada...

zippitt
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
StereoMike,

If you get a chance could you see if your DX Studio will import the scene will import this properly as an animation?

Thanks!

StereoMike
03-13-2009, 04:48 AM
FBX didn't get the bone animation (though it imported the bones). But I was able to import your scene via .x:
the d-storm exporter seems to be broken in 9.6, so you have to save the scene as 9.2 (export dropdown), open it with a LW version prior to 9.6 (9.31 worked for me) and export it there. Voilá!

zippitt
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry, I am sure I am driving you nuts btw...

So I was able to save as 9.2 and load it into 9.31 and export it successfully as a .x

I did not change the defaults on the .x export other than the path.

However, when I tried loading the mesh into DX Studio trial version 3.0.29 It told me it was unable to load the mesh.

The files for the DSTORM plugins I have are as follows...

DDS.p 112KB 1/5/2002 2:10 PM
DX3D.p 384KB 8/2/2007 12:31 PM
PPM.p 48KB 4/19/2001 12:50 PM

I will keep plugging away to see if I can find a combination that works here.

Thanks!