PDA

View Full Version : Modeler: Apple Color Picker Produces 30-Second Beachball

Giacomo99
03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Hello—

As it says in the subject line: when I try to pick a surface's color with the Default color picker in Modeler, I get a 30-second beachball before the color updates. This is a serious beachball, locking up the Finder as well.

FYI: The Default color picker in Layout updates instantly; the LW_ColrPikr in Modeler also updates instantly. Changing any other parameters of a surface also update instantly. I've deleted the Lightwave prefs (and in fact, I've installed a clean version of the latest LW software)—none of which helps.

Please advise.

JeffrySG
03-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I use the apple picker and I've never had that happen, just fyi. Have you installed anything new on your system recently? Any new OS extensions? or addons?

Giacomo99
03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I changed nothing on my system.

I thought it might have something to do with accessing system functions from within an application—but another 3D program (Form Z) which also uses the Apple picker works just fine (as does Layout).

I am completely stumped.

JeffrySG
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Do you have any problems with the apple color picker in another application? such as textedit?

Chilton
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi,

An easy way to figure this out would be to open the Activity Monitor, and then do it. If it beachballs, see if you can switch to the monitor. If you can, look for things that are eating up CPU or disk time. If you can't, well, it could be the same problem.

You might restart your Mac and see if that fixes it. If so, it's probably some texture or something not being released on the video card that is causing a cascading failure, which ultimately ends up forcing your Mac to revert to software rendering for OpenGL. Unfortunately, this can lead to kernel panics, or just crap performance until the offending app(s) are quit. Restarting will clear this up with a quickness.

You might also listen for disk access. The disk is another critical part of the system that can tye up other apps. I have no idea why this would affect the color picker, but who knows. When I open Mail.app though, and it starts opening the on-disk mail archive, my system often grinds to a halt.

-Chilton

Giacomo99
03-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi Chilton—

Very helpful—although my first attempt at solving the problem was to run Maintenance and restart the machine (if that'd worked I wouldn't even have posted the problem.)

What's weird is that I had exactly the same problem you describe with Mail at the same time the Color Picker bug started occurring, although there wasn't continuous disk access during the event. (The Mail bug went away after awhile, but the Modeler Color Picker Bug persists.) Disk access seems to have something to do with it, though. I can hear the drive going two or three times in the course of each Modeler mini-hang.

Want some more weird detail? Another thing that causes a mini-hang is launching the Calculator (the application, not the widget.) When I double-click the icon, the Finder beachballs for about seven seconds before the Calculator appears. Although on that one, it doesn't seem to be accessing the disk.

Go figure.

Chilton
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The disk is another critical part of the system that can tye up...

I am not new to the English language, I swear. I meant tie.

jwiede
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Check the system log and see if there are a bunch of console messages being spewed during the offending app's startups? Some system library issuing loads of console messages can definitely make the system go very slowly and/or cause UI hiccups.

Giacomo99
03-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Check the system log and see if there are a bunch of console messages being spewed during the offending app's startups? Some system library issuing loads of console messages can definitely make the system go very slowly and/or cause UI hiccups.

Ooh, that sounds promising. Two questions:

1) how do I find the system log? A Spotlight search for "System Log" turned up nothing useful.

2) If there is a system library issuing loads of console messages, what should I do about it?

Please advise.