PDA

View Full Version : try to make a better balloon surface

zardoz
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone,

This was from a recently delivered project. The client wanted a nice surface for the balloons (they also had some text).
To upload the project here I stripped everything except the balloons, so...what I ask is: can you get a nice surface for these balloons?
I got this far...
There's the balloon object inside. I spent around two hours modelling it and you can use for free if you need to and if you like the model :hey:

Tx for your time.
LL

toby
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I did some balloons on my last project too. Not the most glamorous part :p
First thing I'd do is find some reference photos. Even if you're not shooting for photreal, they can give you good ideas on characteristics to use, like maybe anisotropic reflections, combine some soft reflections with sharp, and work with the backside of the balloon which is usually visible.

zardoz
03-12-2009, 03:18 AM
yep, I've downloaded a few reference pictures, and you can see all kinds of surfaces, transparent, opaque, glossy, blurry, lots of reflections, no reflections, etc. They ended up choosing that one there, but I'm not happy with it...I already did a few more just for testing purposes only.
I was just hoping to see some nice surfaces from the folks around here.
tx for your time
LL

toby
03-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Yea sorry, I've done as many as I care to lately :D

zardoz
03-12-2009, 03:33 AM
but I am quite happy with the shape of the knot in the balloon...not the balloons shape because the client requested that shape...I think the knot is quite 'stretched', should be more close to the balloon itself. ah well...

probiner
04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Zardoz are these ballons of yours the ones i see in the street for ZON Cable TV advertisment? :D

zardoz
04-17-2009, 02:31 AM
yes they are...I posted the balloons here after delivering the work because I wasn't happy with the final look of the texture they choose. I had several options and they picked this one:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245015&postcount=8
So because I know that everyone around here enjoy a good challenge I thought this could be a good one for people to try.
But even the shape was changed in the end...I spent one hour modeling the knot and they decided to go without it...ah well.

toby
04-17-2009, 03:25 AM
I wonder just how many potentially award winning and beautiful projects have been screwed up by clients... they should be forced to take art classes until they *get it*.

shrox
04-17-2009, 04:59 AM
I wonder just how many potentially award winning and beautiful projects have been screwed up by clients... they should be forced to take art classes until they *get it*.

Yes!!

mehetabel
04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Mmh that was harder then it seemed like. I came up with this:

3DGFXStudios
04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
balloons don't reflect so much and are barley transparent.

toby
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, it varies. The reference I had showed sharper reflection and more transparency. But there is something wrong there, they need to be more reflective at glancing angles, not less.

toby
04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
here's a good one

zardoz
04-18-2009, 03:42 AM
that's a good reference toby (a bit scary though...eheh)
there's some more here
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=244881&postcount=2
as you can see there are lots of kinds of balloon materials/textures. More transparent, less, more reflective or less, blurry, sharp, etc.