PDA

View Full Version : Time to Re-Focus.

GandB
03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
After following (and occasionally participating in) the news about Lightwave's next evolution (Core); I've come to a personal conclusion, I need to stop talking and start doing. For too long now; I've been spending the little bit of free time that I have, participating in discussions on various Forums. This has left almost no time for actual development...especially concerning my skill set(s). I really haven't used my tools in months. As a result I'll have to brush up on the basics (again).

Whether or not Lightwave is the package I will concentrate on in the future is irrelevant. I simply cannot afford another package in the foreseeable future. Right now, I have a package (LW 9.6) that is already an industry standard...so why am I not using it?

Couple all that with the fact that I had purchased numerous tutorial sets...which have been sitting on my desk unused:

- Dan Ablan's Lightwave 9 Signature Series (mostly completed)
- Lightwave 8 Vehicle Modeling (1&2)
- Industrial Modeling Series
- Viper Modeling
- Viper Texturing
- LW 9: Introduction to Nodes
- UV Texturing in Lightwave
- 3D Print and Illustration
- Introduction to Lightwave 8 Lighting
- Lightwave Modeling and Special FX
- Lightwave Tips and Tricks (Vol. 3)
- Lightwave 9 Water Visual Effects
- Lightwave 9 Logo Design & Creation

As you can see; I have quite a bit of learning to do, and since I spent a good bit of money on them all...I should probably look into working with them.

So while I'm continuing game development...I believe it's time to start working on the skills to build the assets that actually go into the games we make.

I suppose this is more of a personal statement than anything; but I'm tired of spinning my wheels. Whether or not I someday move to another package...or expand to Lightwave CORE; I'll most definitely need to get down the basics. So I may as well start now.

-Keith

Nangleator
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Join in the 1-hour modeling challenges. It's a good school, with good, clear boundaries. It doesn't take much time, and it's as fun to laugh at your failures as to see your successes through others' eyes.

I learn something every time.

GandB
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I've seen the modeling challenges on various forums...I'll have to give it a go after I re-familiarize myself with LW. ;)

Nangleator
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
My basic recommendation is to make the work of learning fun. I like tutorials, and I envy your collection, but it sounds like they're not fun for you. Find out what makes you put your butt in the chair and lose track of time in Modeler.

For me, it's quick and dirty work that ends with something beautiful. 1-hour challenges are like that, and in my professional work, I'm usually doing titling, flying logos, backgrounds, and very simple product shots.

If you really need the basics of producing geometry in Modeler, I'd say tutorials really are the way to go, at least until you have your feet under you.

GandB
03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Yep; I'll have to get reacquainted with modeler first. I only put one of the products I created, using D Ablan's tuts, on my site at the time:

http://www.blackdracogames.com/portfoliohi.html

Although it looks OK (besides a few artifacts here and there); I'd rather have work that I thought of and created (without just following a tutorial) on my site, eventually.

I picked the tutorial sets purposely, as I felt they would be useful in different applications of game development. I may use one of the engines I have to create a "world" of things and environments I create with LW...as a test and a showcase of sorts. :thumbsup:

-Keith

colkai
03-11-2009, 03:05 AM
My basic recommendation is to make the work of learning fun. I like tutorials, and I envy your collection, but it sounds like they're not fun for you. Find out what makes you put your butt in the chair and lose track of time in Modeler.

Agreed!

GandB: I too have a shed load of tutorials, DVD's, books, web articles up the wazoo but like you, many of them sit unused.

I've just started being ruthless and throwing away all the stuff I have I may never ever get to. Yep, they cost money, but egads, what's the point of having them if you're not using them? Plus, it's a good "life lesson" as it will make think twice about buying something in future.

The speed challenges for me are great fun but for actually 'learning' modeller, I have to say, the two tutorials that are hands down great for me are the Kurv car DVD and the Serenity tutorial over at F3D.

I really cannot sing the praises of that tutorial highly enough and Sean (Treybor) and others are always willing with advice and support.

I truly think I was a crappy modeller (I still suck compared to a lot of folks here), but doing Serenity was a great experience, showing I could achieve far more than I thought I was capable of. Even though I don't get to it as much as I want (been doing it on and off for ever), it remains the most useful and fun thing I've done.

Don't wish to hijack the thread or anything, but here's my work so far, if *I* can do this, anyone can. :D ;)

GandB
03-11-2009, 05:22 AM
I have to say, the two tutorials that are hands down great for me are the Kurv car DVD and the Serenity tutorial over at F3D.
Yep; got the 2 car DVDs, and I've seen that serenity tutorial before (believe I bookmarked it for later use). The viper tuts should come in just as handy. I have a bit of a vision for a ship of my own one of these days (as a kind of "mascot" for my site); those tuts will help me with the technical aspects of building it.

As for the Serenity you built, hijack away; it looks great. The series "Firefly" and the movie "Serenity" were great; kind of pissed me off when they ended the series so abruptly (and after Christmas of all times!). :thumbsdow

Looking forward to learning a bit of that "Lightwave Camera Work" with the second Viper Tut. Should come in handy for my later work on my ship.

Also wanted to mention that I just got 2 more Gigs of Ram for my machine (previously only had 1GB); that should help with render times a bit. :thumbsup:

-Keith