PDA

View Full Version : bone displacement... godamn it...

RebelHill
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
id seen bone displacement, but never bothered trying it... dicided to give it a go for something today... but of course... dumbass thing only works if subdivision is BEFORE bones... therefore useless on subd characters...

gah...

/rant over.

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Huh?
S'plain what you mean. Bones work on all settings of that kind. Or you mean something a little more exotic?

RebelHill
03-10-2009, 01:02 PM
i mean bone based texture displacement.... very quick and easy to add a displacement, fall it off based on the bones influence area, and tie it to rotation, so u can do nice rippling muscles, or popping veins, etc...

with texture displace, or node displace, u can set it to apply after local displacement... which means u can use a subd mesh, deform it with bones, then subdivide it, then displace... but u CANT with bnoe displacement, cos theres no way to set the bone displacement order to after bones...

which means the feature is of very limited use... and useless for charcters... so its back to image maps and reference nulls, and a whole ton of nodes... pain in the arse.

geothefaust
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Wow. I was actually going to do some tests with it, but why now? That makes it useless... :eek:

Why is it even there then? I mean that doesn't make sense. It's cool idea at first glance, but if you can't change the subdivision order... Oh I'm just repeating myself, I'll stop.

Annoying!

SplineGod
03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Several of the new rigging tools seemed to have been left in a partially implmented or not completelyl thought out. I guess its the price to get Core going.