PDA

View Full Version : Messed up geometry

Darth Buss
03-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Hello

I have this Trex that i have in a scene. I have converted my skelegons to bones and set up a simple IK for the legs. I have chekked "unaffected by IK of descendents" under motion options for the hipbone, Have selected IK for the pitch and heading for the thigh and for heading for the lower leg. I have chosen a null as a goal at the angle of the leg.

Everything works fine. I can pose it just as i want. I save the scene and i "save all objects", close layout and when i load the scene again, the rexs legs are all twisted and out of shape. The bones are in position just fine.

What am i doing wrong? Please help.

Darth Buss

Oh, and i have done a "record piv rot" for the thigh bone. Does that have anything to do with it?

evenflcw
03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes, that's most likely it. Go to the frame with the rest pose and rerest all bones. Save. You always need to rerest after Rec Pivot Rotation as that is similar to rotating normally. It will offset an item in relation to it's parent/world. You just don't see it in the viewport. Why LW doesn't react immediately, but only after reload, I have no clue.

Darth Buss
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks man.

Sorry for the newbie Qs, but how do i do that?

When i have done the record piv rot and i go to the bone proporties and push "rest position" or "rest rotation" i get a dialogbox asking for some numeric proporties. If i just press "ok" the leg jumps to the side. Do i need to tweak the "rest orientation" values manualy to find the right pose for the leg?

evenflcw
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
No, look for Record Bone Rest Position in the menu and/or key configuration panel. (I don't use default keys or menus). This will let you skip manually entering the numbers. Nobody uses the manual inputs.

Record Pivot Rotation (aka. RPR), which is something else entirely, is not necessary at all, and you absolutely mustn't confuse the two. RPR is just for convenience, so you can start animating with all rotation channels at 0. It has nothing to do with bones per se.

But say if you want to tweak the skeleton, in Layout, after conversion to bones, then you'll want to rerest after each tweak. Recording bone rest position (which I refer to as resting or reresting) rebinds or reattaches the mesh to the bones.

Sorry if I reiterated something you already know.

Darth Buss
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
No, not at all.

Its very helpfull and explained in great detail. Thank you for that. You have just saved me a month of frustration ;o)

Darth Buss