PDA

View Full Version : 2003 - LightWave World Tour - It ROCKED!

kevman3d
08-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey folks

Lee's just completed the LW World Tour here in NZ and I must report that it was a blast! Guess what? Everybody got their CD's as well! :)

We had 30 attendees, and AUT (Auckland University of Technology) hosted the event, complete with tea, coffee and Lunch included!

One person had flown all the way from Tahiti for the event! (I'm still trying to grasp the idea of someone travelling so far for this event - Wow!)

Here's a few small piccies from the event. The quality isn't the best - Cheap digital camera didn't work too well in a dark room! :(

But definitely thumbs up from us Kiwi's on this event!

Cheers Lee!

Kev

kevman3d
08-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Lee's cool desktop... On the big screen!

kevman3d
08-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Lee's presentation was always humorous and kept the crowd motivated...

kevman3d
08-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Lee being bombarded with questions during the breaks...

SplineGod
08-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Very cool Kev!
Enjoy the CDs! :)
Next time Ill be over there.

mr_nebel
08-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Sounds like it was fun, wish I could've gone but purchasing LW just drained the coffers abit too much for it.

riki
08-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey kev any kiwis going to the sydney one? Anyone organising a group-booking discount?

Karmacop
08-15-2003, 11:21 PM
So many New Zealander jokes .... must .. resist .. :p

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Jokes? Hehehe, that will depend on whether we kick your a** at Rugby Again tonight like we did last time! :)

...And as for Kiwi's going to the Aus event? The freakiest thing that happened here was the Tahitian guy who flew to NZ for the event, because it wasn't happening in Tahiti! That really amazed me, and blew me away! I was impressed someone would come so far for this! ;)

I don't know anyone going to Aus, but you just never know if someone will...

As for discount, I think you'll have to pester your friends and convince them to all pay and go along (Fair enough, cause I had to pester about 25 of mine ;) ) - Then send Lee an email and ask what he can do for you regarding a group discount... But do it quick, he flies your direction late tommorrow...

Overall, its a great seminar, and its ideal for EVERYONE (Newbies and more advanced users alike). Personally, I learnt lots of little tips and tricks that will make my LW'ing workflow a lot faster, and a pile of intermediate and Newbie users gave me great feedback too on how they'd found out a lot of new stuff they never knew!

Lee's a great presenter - He's funny, energetic and motivational! And the 4 CD's are VERY cool - So much material there to take in, from modelling to Motion Designer! I think the CD's alone are worth more then the whole price of the Seminar! :)

Don't miss it - And if you have friends, don't let them miss it neither!

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 02:22 AM
And some more bad photo's from my lovely camera...

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 02:51 AM
And while Lee was away from his desk, we took a sneak peek at what he had planned (though we could have just looked at the big screen!) :)

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Back in time for a bit of Expression fun!

Karmacop
08-16-2003, 04:45 AM
You have an unfair advantage in Rugby, our team is made up of skinny white guys :p

When is the Aus one? How much does it cost and where is it? I'm probably too busy and don't have the money to go but there's nothign wrong with asking right? ;)

I'd be happy just to meet Lee, he sounds like a cool guy from all accounts. I really wish I had gone to the event in Sydney a month or so ago that Proton went to. Would have been cool meeting him.

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 05:09 AM
Ok, I would first check www.learnlightwave.com, however specially for you here's the details... :)

Melbourne, Australia
August 18 - August 19 : LightWave Worldwide Community Tour
New Media Sales Event starts at: 10:00 am. Doors open 30 minutes before start time.
210 Coventry Street
South Melbourne, (03) 9690 0821

Sydney, Australia
August 21 - August 22 : LightWave Worldwide Community Tour
Event starts at: 10:00 am. Doors open 30 minutes before start time. Event Location To Be Announced

As I said, pretty soon (like in a couple of days!). Cost is US$199 - Which is approx about AU$305 (a bit less, but pretty close)

Lee is indeed one cool guy! He even gave us a special 'LWUG' appearance straight after the first day of the seminar. Got shown some excellent plugin demos, a chance for non-seminar people to say 'Hello' and all... Very cool! :)

Karmacop
08-16-2003, 05:28 AM
Damn, too expensive for me :\

.. still, if someone could bootleg it for me ... :p

Jörg
08-16-2003, 08:59 AM
hey kev

congratulation , cool pictures , i want to see more!!!!!

hey larry

i have read 4 cd´s!! that is correct?? when I can buy or get it?????

greetings at all

joerg jung

gjjackson
08-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Deleted

3deeelite
08-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by gjjackson
I wonder when we can find out about the events that were cancelled. We were supposed to find out after Siggraph but haven't heard anything yet. Still in limbo.

I was wondering if it would be possible to apply the amount I paid for the cancelled class towards a purchase of 2 of Larry Schultz's Professional Character Series' modules?

I noticed that Lee rescheduled New Jersey & Hartford/Springfield for the end of September. When these classes were cancelled the word was that the rescheduled classes would be for Lightwave 8. Are these 2 rescheduled classes teaching Lightwave 8?

It has now been approximately 6 weeks since the notice was posted on the learnlightwave website and no update.

Michael

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey Mike,
Drop me an email :)

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jörg
hey kev

congratulation , cool pictures , i want to see more!!!!!

hey larry

i have read 4 cd´s!! that is correct?? when I can buy or get it?????

greetings at all

joerg jung
Hey Joerg,
Youll be the 1st to know. :)

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 3deeelite
It has now been approximately 6 weeks since the notice was posted on the learnlightwave website and no update.

Hey 3deeelite,

Lee has just shot off to the Airport for Australia, but he's really had no chance in the last week to update his website - because he's pretty much been at my place, and well, I can't get him connected other then to surf the web...

He'll be updating the site as soon as he can get his LapTop online - If he's lucky, he'll find a WiFi equipped cafe somewhere that he can access...

Cheers!

Kev

kevman3d
08-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Damn, too expensive for me

Dude

Just talking with Lee before he caught the Shuttle to the Airport - He says to 'just turn up at the door' and he's more then happy to discuss a discount if you're a student, or if you have a group or financial issues with the full price. There are a lot of options, talk to Lee (he's a great guy!) and find out! :)

Kev.

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by kevman3d
Dude
'just turn up at the door'

Kev.
Lee probably meant at the Seminar and not his house in Austin. ;)

gjjackson
08-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Deleted

SplineGod
08-16-2003, 09:51 PM
gjjackson,
Rather then take Kevins thread here further off topic please drop me an email. :)

kevman3d
08-17-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by gjjackson
Unfortunately it makes me suspicious of the honesty of such. I haven't decided how long I'm going to wait before taking other action.

Like Larry says, PLEASE email him and don't use my thread for your venting - I posted it to share the photos and the feedback from the NZ event with the online community, so people could see what's been happening in the world of LW users beyond their own country. Its a great opportunity for me to share the happenings in this part of the world to everyone else.

I'll be VERY unimpressed if it gets removed from the forum system because users decide to use it to flame the event - Contact the people involved with the event privately - That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

kevman3d
08-18-2003, 03:54 AM
I had 2 more images I snapshot - So I figured, well, hey, why not. Here's a shot from a section on Expressions and Channel Modifier plugins.

kevman3d
08-18-2003, 03:57 AM
And heres a tea-break time shot - I shrunk it - It was pretty dark, and boosting the gamma showed a few Artifacts from my Camera's nasty Jpeg compression. Smaller was better!

DarkLight
08-18-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm going to the London event in September.

Can't wait :)

kevman3d
08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Yeh, it was a lot of fun! Well worth the investment IMHO, specially given that you end up with 4 CD's full of extra material as well! :)

With the group discount I got from Lee for the 25+ people in my group, this seminar cost only about an extra NZ$20 more then a copy of 'Inside LW' - So for the price of a book, you get a groovy 2 day seminar and 4 CD roms with close to 30+ hours of material on them!

Enjoy!

Jimzip
08-19-2003, 04:06 AM
Wow!
Hey all, I'm home after the second day of the LW tour.. Oh..
If you haven't booked, then for heaven's sake: DO IT!!
It is so worth it that after you have been you'll wish you hadn't ever thought of not going..
It was really that good, a bargain for what you get, these guys are fantastic for doing this. Lee, if you're reading, thank you sooo much! Whoa, I didn't forget, Larry Shultz also!
And those of you worried about the payment, ease up, organise something with Lee, he's very considerate and I'm sure you can work something out.
Get in touch: [email protected]
Or, as mentioned above, Larry!

Also, it's $300. Don't drive your car for two weeks, and stop buying gourmet ice-cream and you can pay for it.

An event that you really really shouldn't miss, I'm serious there are so many things you have to learn through this event, and the training CD's are real gold..

Jimzip :D

SplineGod
08-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey Jim
Cool! Im curious as to what you think of the CDs that were given out as well as the material that was presented. :)

Jimzip
08-20-2003, 01:50 AM
Well, mine aren't numbered, except 4... I can generally see which ones are which if I follow the tutorials through from the intro to the fourth one though.

The movies are very very helpful, I kept expecting (out of habit) web-pages with screen shots to pop up in each section of the CD links, but I am very glad the movies are there instead, it makes everything very easy to understand and you can obviously see the process that you guys took to get the results.

Heh heh, Lee said that you sounded somewhat like a robot because of the compression Larry, but it's not that bad at all.
:) In fact the distortion wasn't even in all of the movies. (Not that I've looked through every one at the moment, I just got home from uni.. and the tour finished yesterday! But I've skimmed through a lot of them.)

The CD's in general are to me very valuable! I'm sure I'll be looking through them over and over to revise and hone other techniques and methods.

I really want to thank you, and of course Lee and Newtek again, it's fantastic that you guys are going to all the trouble of doing this for your users.

P.s, will you be at the Sydney tour Larry? I'm going up there with my dad and I'll be at the Sydney seminar also! Hope to see you there. (I didn't forget your efforts in my above post, I was just very excited about having been to the event! Sorry!)

Jimzip. :D

SplineGod
08-20-2003, 02:01 AM
I WISH I was going to Sydney!
Not in the cards this time.
Im glad you like the CDs. THeres a lot of information on them.
We decided that slightly greater compression was better then trying to send 20 CDs home with everyone. That wouldnt be too smart. :)

kevman3d
08-20-2003, 02:08 AM
Its great to hear that the Melbourne event went down well! I hope the Sydney event works out for everyone too! :)

BTW, anybody should feel free to post any snapshots or photo's to this thread - It would be cool to get some images from Oz as well here! :)

DarkLight
08-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Just out of interest, Is there anyone else on here going to the London event?

geoff
08-20-2003, 02:57 AM
Yep
I'm booked for London

Trulsi
08-20-2003, 03:19 AM
I might go if Lee answers the mail I sent him three weeks ago;-)

ghopper
08-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by DarkLight
Just out of interest, Is there anyone else on here going to the London event?

I'll probably go after reading all these comments about the tour ;)

DarkLight
08-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by geoff
Yep
I'm booked for London

That's cool

I'll see you, and anyone else going there :D

SplineGod
08-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Hi from Lee Stranahan,

I'm leaving Australia on Sunday morning, so I wanted to mention two great options for those who couldn't attend. Maybe you had to work. Maybe money is tight. No worries! Here's your chance to catch LightWave training and see the seminar people are raving about.

Both new options All prices are in Australian dollars.

1) ATTEND TOMORROW : Attend the second day of the training, and get full day of training, plus all the CDs, PLUS admission to the Saturday session if you like - all for only $160.

2) SPECIAL SATURDAY SESSION : Work during the week? Come to a special 4 hour training session from noon until 4pm on Saturday. Get highlights from the training, as well as all 4 discs - all at a bargain rate of only $100.

If you plan to attend, send email to [email protected] right away!

Karmacop
08-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Hmm .. that sounds like a pretty tasty offer ... damn ... no to convince my GF that I should spend my free day at this instead of being with her or doing assignments ... :p

kevman3d
08-23-2003, 06:05 AM
BTW, anybody get any piccies from the Aus events at all they wanna post here? Love to see some! :)

Karmacop
08-23-2003, 09:14 AM
I couldn't make it to the saturday thing .. wish these thigns were at better times ofthe year :(

Speaking of thigns at better times of the year, will Newtek (or new magic) be making a showing at http://www.dmw.com.au/ ? I'll be there if Lightwave is :)

Jimzip
08-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Righto Righto!
Two images, that's what I've got for ya.
This one is just a pic of the Skyline on day two, from where I was staying at my Uncle's place.
Jimzip:D

Jimzip
08-24-2003, 03:53 AM
Now, a shot of the group in Sydney.
Lee at the front, me at the very back.
Heh heh, looks a lot like a movie poster...
Anyway, there you go.

Karmacop
08-24-2003, 05:51 AM
Wow! I didn't know Tim Freedmon used Lightwave ... :eek: :p

riki
08-24-2003, 06:49 AM
no one there I recoginse. But looks like lots of people turned up.

Jimzip
08-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Heh heh, yeah, just to prove it looks like a movie poster, I went ahead and made one. P.S. Nobody is allowed to say I had too much spare time today.. ;)

Jörg
08-24-2003, 08:18 AM
hi jimzip

cool group photo (write times the names of the people under the picture, thereby one point who the people are!!) post more pictures please

i would like to have one in poster size a1:D :D

greetings

joerg jung

sorry my english is not so good:(

kevman3d
08-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Very cool pictures dude! Thanks!

BTW, Who's Tim Freedmon? :confused: A local Aussie 3D celeb?

...Also, with that flash glint in Lee's eye, he almost looks like something from the 'Terminator' :)

More! MORE! MOOOOORRREEE! ...Pictures please... :D

Karmacop
08-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah, he's a local. Tim is the lead singer in The Whitlams. The closest photo I could find was http://www.thewhitlams.com/pics/studio/timsinging_newtown_sm.jpg

But have a look at http://www.thewhitlams.com/photos.html to se other photos that look like the guy in the front left of the photo :p

Stranahan
08-28-2003, 06:33 AM
That glint in my eye - ya know, it's weird...

I'm blind in my right eye. (Someone threw a rock at me when I was a kid. Remember your Mom said you'd put someone's eye out...I'm like the poster child for that.) That eye, for some reason, is real prone to 'red eye'. It's my real eye, too - so no, it's not glass...just odd.

Jimzip
08-31-2003, 08:42 AM
I couldn't remember everyone's names after two days.. Shame on me. But you know who Lee is, I said I'm the one in the back, and Tim is the one at the front with the glasses.. It's awful I know, but I've never been good at names..