PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping problems

Costanel
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey there,

I've been trying to create decent UV-maps for a simulator for quite a time.
First I made all individual maps for all the sides, but found that it would become to heavy for the scenes.
I have some experience with UV maps, but no for one texture for a complete model.

Now I'm looking at combining the different UV maps and mapping it with 1 map.
Problem is, I can't find a way to combine UV maps into one, is there any way to do this?

I've also tried to combine maps by remapping it manually, but this screws things up everytime I map already used polys(moves points on the UV map). Is there any way to fix/workaround this?

Thanks in advance.

Sensei
03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Now I'm looking at combining the different UV maps and mapping it with 1 map.
Problem is, I can't find a way to combine UV maps into one, is there any way to do this?

To merge two UV maps you have to select source UV map (T button and drop-down list on bottom of Modeler's window), then use Map > Edit Maps > Copy Vertex Map, and enter name of existing UV map.

I've also tried to combine maps by remapping it manually, but this screws things up everytime I map already used polys(moves points on the UV map). Is there any way to fix/workaround this?

That's perfectly normal.. One point can have just one UV.. Unless it's discontinuous.. You can made discontinuous UV by unwelding points then copying map using above technique, and merging points again.. You should notice that some UV are red, this means they have couple UV attached to one point. Such points are rendered properly in F9, but are not displayed correctly in OpenGL though.

Costanel
03-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the answer. I hoped that there was a better way than unwelding, but hey, it works. :)

Now I've got another problem, sometimes when I want to make a new UV-texture, it automatically adds this texture in the previously selected UVmap with the previously selected axis(so it shows no pop-up at all!). Does anyone here ever had this problem?
Looks like restarting modeller is the only solution to this problem...

Costanel
03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
No-one else experiences this problem?

I'm having it every time I map several things in LW 9.6.
Mostly when mapping several object and undoing makes it do this.

Also: I've noticed that sometimes points stick to the sides and don't move, what makes the happen?