PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ATI and OpenGL experts

gordonrobb
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I have narrowed my problem down to an issue between OpenGL (buffered mode), and my ATI Radeon HD 4850.

I have swapped it out with an old 7800 GT and it does not fail, but is slow by comparison (as I would expect). I had planned to get a beefy Geforce card, but have some issues with space in my machine and the power connections they need.

What I am looking for is anyone who is knowledgabel enough about ATI and how it plays with OGL, to see if there is a way of setting up the ATI to allow it to work, so that I don't have to change my card for a poorer performing one like a 9800 GT.

Let me know what you think.

IMI
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't know anything about ATI and the OpenGL drivers they use, but I do know I've read allot of complaints over the years from people using ATI with 3D apps. More than Nvidia it seems, that is.
But I wouldn't be so quick to blame it all on your video card - LW uses by far, more CPU than it does GPU for OpenGL. For OpenGL in LightWave, the 9800GT would not be a step down. Although you'd probably notice a difference in games.

One thing you might try though is to see if you can find some 3rd party drivers out there. I don't know how it is in the ATI world, but there are allot of alternative Nvidia driver sets out there you can find through gaming forums and PC tech forums.

bazsa73
03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi,
I had always problems with ATI cards, it's thrashing, freezes, refresh is delayed... Nvidia works fine.

gordonrobb
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I have little doubt that it is an ATI problem. I can get it to fail every time by having the OGL setting to buffered, and subpatching a lot of polies (say about 100K). My old Geforce 7800 works fine. Also, when I look at the error log, the module that's failing is atioglxx.dll. So, trying to see what I can tweak. Currently downloaded older drivers.

maunissan
04-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Hi, i changed my computer for a brand newa few days ago and i installed the 9.6 lightwave. I opened a project in modeler and had some problems when i use the zoom. when I increase the zoom, the objects in angle are engulfed in a gray background and desapear... the closer I get, more they desapear... this doest happen with simple objetcs, so i think could be a performance problem...

i have a core 2 quad q6600 4gb - nvidia 9800 gtx plus

can someone helpe me to configure lightwave to solve this problem???

tks,