PDA

View Full Version : Saving type anims

ige
03-08-2009, 05:45 AM
I made an 120 frames animation and saved it as Quicktime (.mov). Very nice result, but huge 120Mb file. Now I wonder which save type is the best to save in - with good result and low Mb? I tried to convert the file to .avi (using Premiere), but still 50 Mb. Any good advices is wellcome!

probiner
03-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't know what pros do, but i like png(good compression and loseless quality), either in separate images on the Quicktime comrpession ( i can choose the color range there).

If it is a work file and not the final stuff, normally never is, it's better to use image sequence, cause after, you can render single frame and not the whole scene, update the images in After Effects, or whatever composition you use and you are done. If a video file render scene fails normally you get nothing left. If a image sequence render scene fails you get the already finished frames.

So for me its image sequence and png.

ige
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for good advice. I try that. I made some small anims now using MPEG4 which gave me a fair good result with low Mb.

toby
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Definitely, if you're going to show this and not throw it away, render to an image sequence.

Mp4/h264/divx is good, Sorenson3 is good, the thing you need for display codecs is *keyframes*. At least 6, but up to hundreds if you want. Quality will start to suffer, and so will scrubbing, it'll start to act like the youtube videos.

DiedonD
03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I always go for PNG images!

Less Mb weight and good quality :thumbsup:

Otterman
03-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah-output as png sequential images from lightwave and stitch em together using quicktime pro. You can then export using several codec's....h264 works best for me both quality and output size is tip top!

QT pro buy it today, its costs about the same as your lunch!

toby
03-09-2009, 03:10 AM
If you don't want to buy qt pro, there are still alternatives. If you're on a mac, you can get "qt amateur" for free -

PNG is good for image sequences, EXR is even better, if you have programs that read them