PDA

View Full Version : Alt + LMB Rotate vs. Button Rotate (I'm a noob that needs help)

C4L
03-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I used 3ds Max a long time ago, and wanted to get back into messing around with modeling, and decided on Lightwave after seeing that it's basically a Hollywood standard, if I ever decide to pursue a career around modeling.

After searching with a bunch of different terms I found a thread relating to my issue: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66620&highlight=alt

But it didn't answer my questions, what is the difference between the two rotate options? I'm new to Lightwave, and find it frustrating when my viewport goes all weird (using Alt + LMB) like in the screenshot in the above linked thread.

My questions:

Why would you use Alt + LMB rotate over the button rotate (excluding shortcut reasons), users in that thread say they love it?

Is there a way to map Alt + LMB to use the same type of rotation as the button?

Is there a faster way to reset the perspective view apart from holding Ctrl and moving LMB while clicking the button rotate?

toby
03-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Alt-LMB can 'bank' the view, the button cannot, just like in that image. All you need to understand about Alt-LMB is that it acts like a trac-ball that fits in the viewport; click-drag on the ball, and you can rotate it just like a trac-ball. Click-drag outside the ball and it only rotates the bank. To reset, go to an empty layer and press shift - a (fit all).

There's someone else who just started here, we told him a bunch of things he needed to know, I'll try to find the thread

toby
03-08-2009, 04:45 AM
here it is
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95990&

and btw, welcome to the forums!

Lewis
03-08-2009, 05:02 AM
ALT+LMB is much nicer when you understand it fully and start using it :). Like toby already mentioned it's important where do you ALT+click on image :). I've forced myself to try to use it for whole day several years ago and since then there is no way i would go back to interface button style/rotation :).
BTW you can use ALT+LMB, ALT+MMB or ALT+RMB so if you are used to MAX MMB solution you can do it in LW also ;)

cheers and yes welcome to LW.

toby
03-08-2009, 03:04 PM
But wait, there's more!

While holding alt, press shift to pan, or press cntrl to zoom

Snosrap
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
But wait, there's more!

Yeah, this is just fantastic. I hope we don't lose this in Core.

Snosrap

geothefaust
03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Same here... It's a great feature. I never use the button thanks to it. :thumbsup:

C4L
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the replies and welcomes, still don't see myself using Alt+LMB to rotate, but I'm checking out the other thread now.

JeffrySG
03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
But wait, there's more!

That's cool but I do all of that with one mouse hand in SILO. I'm hoping that CORE let's us really customize things they way they need to be. :D

I never really understood why people use the navigate on screen buttons at all. They seem like it's so slow compared to the shortcut mouse/keys. But everyone has their prefs. I guess!