PDA

View Full Version : Any other motorcycle riders here?

hrgiger
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I got my Yamaha Virago last August. She's my starter 250. I just got her out for the first ride of the season today.

Drocket
03-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Cool looking bike Steve, hope you have fun :)

Here is my ZX10R.

probiner
03-08-2009, 12:22 AM
My deal is horse power... One is enough.

http://www.mrtoys.com/radioflyer/pics/Radio_Flyer_Classic_Wood_Rocking_Horse_Model_317.j pg

cresshead
03-08-2009, 01:02 AM
well i used to have a yamaha tw125 but it got stolen...
here's 'my ride' thesedays!
not my actual bike photo btw]

http://www.g-whizzcycles.co.uk/Images/Big%20bike%20images/FIF_4646B.jpg

type used to have>>
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2004%5C01%5C08%5Cbikepics-95084-320.jpg

colkai
03-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Not any more, problems with joints meant each time I went out, it was like hot needles through my wrists. Been a couple of years since I had to sell my "baby", had her a long time and loved her to bits. A Honda 750 'retro', good old fashioned sit up N beg type.
She will forever remain in my heart as my "true" bike, though I've owned several over the 30 years I was riding motorcycles. :heart:

IMI
03-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Nice bike, hrgiger. Shiny.
Really nice lighting, and I like the way you didn't go overboard with the Carpaint node, too. ;)

Sarford
03-08-2009, 04:55 AM
I used to ride a Suzuki RF 900. I still got it but I put it aside a few years ago when it acted funny. Never had the cash to spare to repair it.
This picture isn't of my bike ofcourse, but I got the same red one.

COBRASoft
03-08-2009, 05:22 AM
I would like to ride a bike, but the license cost a lot of money these days in Belgium :(

When I was a student, I worked at a renting place for bikes. We had Virago's 250, Shadow's 600, GSF 600, Ducatti Monstro (crazy machine), ... I used to drive with them in the small streets since I was 16 years old. Those were the days :D

Yamba
03-08-2009, 05:28 AM
I've got the Honda under wraps in the shed. It's fitted with race pipes, suspension and the motors been kitted, a little different to the one in the photo. Why under wraps? I live where one road goes North and South and I don't think there's a decent corner for about 1000 km in either direction. It'll stay under wraps until I can get back where the roads have some challenges.

And the mountain bike is because I'm surrounded by rocky desert country and I get my thrills smashing around the hills.

Shane

cagey5
03-08-2009, 05:52 AM
This was my last bike. The only picture I have of the actual one shows it slightly the worst for wear after a prang. So here's how I remember it.

bjornkn
03-08-2009, 06:09 AM
No shortage of curvy roads here in Norway :)
From a 3 week trip with my son in 04, driving my old (88), strong and trusty Suzuki GSX1100F.
Still a bit too early to start the season...

meshpig
03-08-2009, 06:27 AM
I got my Yamaha Virago last August. She's my starter 250. I just got her out for the first ride of the season today.

Good going, you have to start somewhere. Preferably not there though, you need some high time in the dirt I reckon to get a feel for the all important (when riding bikes in traffic) drop down to 3rd gear to get the hell away from those sleepy and slow car drivers.

Don't be fooled, statistically it's the underpowered bikes which kill the rider sooner and more often than the over powered one's do. When you have have adequate horsepower/kilowatts you are in control.

For example, on a long trip where you encounter cars bunching up by 15 or 20 on a highway for whatever reason, you never sit behind them like some kind of dipwit, half asleep car driver. No way, so you need a 3rd gear which will pull 20 car lengths in the shortest possible time to get clear of the danger... apart from the fact that acceleration is %50 of the buzz, torque the other half.

If you are a good rider the most significant danger is associated with car drivers and their being on a different level of time and space. I rode bikes for 7 hours a day for 7 years and only came off twice somewhere in the "Alpine" regions and on wet tram tracks.

Since you're starting with a 4 stroke twin my advice would be to get a stroker between your legs.

m

MooseDog
03-08-2009, 06:51 AM
latest model of my last bike. i like how it's all clean and working :lol:.

had to finally turn my back on racing and riding :(, for the usual reasons: parenting, working and parenting.

there's always hope and time though. my 78 year old father has an old-ish honda cr125 that he still rides. last year he did nearly 25 events up and down the east coast here. very proud of him and hopeful for my future!

http://www.ktm.com/fileadmin/swf/productspecials/uploads/450_exc_sixdays.jpg

meshpig
03-08-2009, 06:58 AM
No shortage of curvy roads here in Norway :)
From a 3 week trip with my son in 04, driving my old (88), strong and trusty Suzuki GSX1100F.
Still a bit too early to start the season...

Yes, you must love that one like the trusty horse it is? How do you maintain a Suzuki for that long since the bolts strip after the 2nd cam chain?

m

bjornkn
03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes, you must love that one like the trusty horse it is? How do you maintain a Suzuki for that long since the bolts strip after the 2nd cam chain?
mWhat bolts? The engine is very strong, and I've been told that they have used it for building drag-race bikes. The bike is known for its long life, and several people have driven it for 250,000km or more with no rebuilds or special maintenance. So far mine have only 120,000km on the clock, of which I'm responsible for the last 40k.

hrgiger
03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Good going, you have to start somewhere. Preferably not there though, you need some high time in the dirt I reckon to get a feel for the all important (when riding bikes in traffic) drop down to 3rd gear to get the hell away from those sleepy and slow car drivers.

m

Well, I have about 2 months riding experience and I've already had my first accident which basically cut short last years riding season. A pretty good one too, I dislocated three toes, broke three (yes, that's on one foot-ouch), and was out of work for three months after surgery to pin and bolt my toes back together. I took a lot of skin off the back of my arms but it seems so minor compared to the foot. You can't really see the damage to my arms anymore.
The day I got out of my cast, I was back on the bike. I would like to get a bigger bike eventually, but this year it was a new computer and my Hardcore membership which took priority.

HarverdGrad
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
What a coincidence.
Next weekend, I start a 3 day beginner motorcycle riding class. I've never ridden one before, so it'll be interesting ;)

It's a BDay present from "me" to "me" (call it my mid life crisis..ha)

zapper1998
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
1998 Custom SoftTail Harley Davidson

AdamAvenali
03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
oh man, it was my life for about 10 years haha i havent had a chance to ride since i have moved to ohio and left my bikes back in pa. i get to ride and race occasionaly when i go home to visit, and ususally take a trip for a week every year to georgia in the off-season.

Otterman
03-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Ive been riding bikes for the last 15 years.....day in day out all year round. Infact i still havnt got round to doing my car test yet! :D

My baby is the one ive had since i was a teenager, an old 1977 honda 400/4. Its been everywhere with me, even toured europe in my youth on it. Since i restored it, its been in my apartment.....looking sweet. Im planning in a few years time to fire it up again and scare the hell outa myself! Gee, brakes and handling have come along way since the seventies.

I currently ride an R1 which graced me with 6 points on my license last year! Grr rozzerrs!

cagey5
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda 400/4 a true classic. That was my dream bike when I was an avid bike mag reader before I was old enough to ride one.

OnlineRender
03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
R1 for the Track , CBR 600 for the road , FIAT MAIRA weekend SX estate 1.6 16v lol to poor to buy a decent car , who cares i can blow anything away in CBR

What is it they say about going off line in the wet again?

EDIT

Ohh forgot minibike i bought for 60 quid , great fun , kills your legs though , esp being 6ft , love wearing my full racing leathers on it , looks strange

LOUD CANNON SAVE LIVES

EDIT

who else has REDBULL CAN ???? :hey:

colkai
03-09-2009, 02:54 AM
400/4 - yup, if ever there was a classic, that is it. :)

meshpig
03-09-2009, 04:01 AM
The day I got out of my cast, I was back on the bike. I would like to get a bigger bike eventually, but this year it was a new computer and my Hardcore membership which took priority.

Sounds awful but you did the right thing by hopping back on. Do be a bit ++ careful!!!! and think of biking in terms of a lifestyle almost to begin with rather than a simple method of transport.

If art comes first let it be so and don't skimp if you can help it on the accouterments ie. maximum helmet, good boots and leathers.

- I may have pelted through the odd 35 zone at 160 or three with a carton of milk balanced on the tank wearing nothing but trousers but not as a general rule.

Don't ride anymore unfortunately.

m:)

geothefaust
03-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Hey right on! I didn't know so many of us rode. :)

About a year and a half ago I started riding. I purchased a Honda Rebel, it's a little 250cc as well. Nice bike, looks almost just like yours HR, though mine has a blue paint job.

Sorry to hear that you had a spill, that's a rough one to boot. Ouch. I only had one spill, but I came out rather unscathed, luckily. Glad your back on the bike.

I'm looking at eventually getting a bigger ride, hopefully soon. Had my eye on the Honda Shadow, 600cc. Nice bike. Love cruisers myself.

hrgiger
03-09-2009, 04:18 AM
About a year and a half ago I started riding. I purchased a Honda Rebel, it's a little 250cc as well. Nice bike, looks almost just like yours HR, though mine has a blue paint job.

I'm looking at eventually getting a bigger ride, hopefully soon. Had my eye on the Honda Shadow, 600cc. Nice bike. Love cruisers myself.

Yeah, I was looking for a 250 when I got my bike because part of the reason I bought it was becasue fuel was $4 a gallon then. It was between the Virago and the Rebel. In the end, I found a Virago first.

And I think I'll always be on a cruiser, not much for the crotch rockets.

geothefaust
03-09-2009, 04:28 AM
I hear you there on both counts even. I was also choosing between those two bikes. I think they are both great.

When you start looking for a bigger bike, what do you think you'll end up getting?

flakester
Ive been riding bikes for the last 15 years.....day in day out all year round. Infact i still havnt got round to doing my car test yet! :D ~

Same for me, the Missus hates that I don't have a car licence... yet I still tell her how to reverse park!

Up until about three months ago, I was the very proud owner of a 1989 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV. The best bike I've owned so far; did Brum to London and back countless times over the two years I had her, and apart from a blown collector box (pushed her a little too hard one day!) and an electrical fault, she was pretty much bullet-proof.

I'm hoping to get some rubber under my legs again later on this year, a day without bikes is like a day without blood. Feels like something is missing from my existence.

I'll still be keeping my eyes open for the much-fabled but rarely seen FJ1400!!

To all the bikers here; safe riding, enjoy the curves. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

meshpig
Honda 400/4 a true classic. That was my dream bike when I was an avid bike mag reader before I was old enough to ride one.

Yeah, I had one of them and later a Benelli copy. Not much difference. All you can say is at the time the 2 strokes were either unmanageably over powered or not quite smoothed out by then.

You see the same today, little 4x4 screamers hitting 3rd gear moments after crossing the lights. Waste of energy really because even my 1985 v4 500 cc stroker would pull about 50 mph in first gear.

Like you had to give it so much stick to get the slug to move, whoops the front wheel was never on the ground coming out of the lights.

So, you didn't miss much.

m:)

meshpig
03-09-2009, 05:20 AM
And I think I'll always be on a cruiser, not much for the crotch rockets.

Nah, when you straddle a 1000 cc Ducati Sports and get the feel the distinction between "cruisers" and "crotch rockets" won't mean much.

Wait for it, you'll remember your first ride of a big Duke always.

m

Otterman
03-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Same for me, the Missus hates that I don't have a car licence... yet I still tell her how to reverse park!
flakester.

Hehe, we are a rare breed my friend. Well they do say bikers make better car drivers then...erm car drivers!

I dont trust myself behind a wheel, id b taking everything out trying to filter through traffic. For all you in the midlands here in england, ive probably taken out your wing mirror....if not, il get round to you shortly :D

TSpyrison
03-09-2009, 07:11 AM
I used to have a motorcycle..
Would love to get a nice cruiser..

But all the idiots talking on their phones, texting while driving, and not paying attention to their driving scare me..

One day I think Im going to outfit my Jeep Mad Max style :D

Tom Wood
03-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Had a Harley Sportster way back when. Lean back. I see those lean forward bikes and they just don't look comfortable. Doesn't that wear you out holding that position over a long ride?

cagey5
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
A little but make more sense on windier roads whereas I think cruisers are great for longer straighter journeys.

Otterman
03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Had a Harley Sportster way back when. Lean back. I see those lean forward bikes and they just don't look comfortable. Doesn't that wear you out holding that position over a long ride?

With sports bike you just gotta rest your gut on the tank and keep your head behind the fairing.....once you find that wind buffer sweet spot its suprisingly comfortable. I had a go on a sit up and beg bike not so long ago-felt like i was sat in my grannys rocking chair hehe! Fun though once i cleaned the flies out my teeth.

ingo
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
....Wait for it, you'll remember your first ride of a big Duke always.

m

Thats oh so true, and real motorbikes are red :hey: Not that cardrivers care more about you then....

ctuller
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's one of mine. For the long haul trips.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_bf27e82180f04fb9a9da557f417edf80/adobe-px-assets/9e80d7ce4c9d4aeeb2a5071d23c1d2bd

Hopper
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a Honda VTX 1800 (C) that I haven't ridden in almost two years. I ran out of garage space and parked it at my dad's place. I haven't been up there since. It's a heavy beast - If you dump it you'd definately have to get help picking it up. It's almost 800 lbs.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever taken any pictures of it. But it's pretty bone stock off the floor, so plenty of Google pics.

meshpig
03-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Thats oh so true, and real motorbikes are red :hey: Not that cardrivers care more about you then....

Yep!! Check out these bad scans. I've lost all the good stuff 'cos haven't ridden since the Laverda in 1989 apart from nearly wrapping a Tenier 600 single around a barrier in my own street!. It was Red and the Duke was blue, the duke was a 1975 860 gt which I had just rebuilt and the Lavvy was spanking new.

In the background an RD350 Yamaha and several others out of view.

- The rat bike (1982 and should make most laugh) is a GS550 stripped back with a farm adapted (held together with fencing wire) header from a 750 which made some awesome noises from memory.

m

ingo
03-10-2009, 03:18 AM
The Laverda looks nice, almost like a Ducati ST.

3DGFXStudios
03-10-2009, 03:23 AM
I failed my test last Thursday :cry: ... Stupid license :cursin:

meshpig
03-10-2009, 03:59 AM
The Laverda looks nice, almost like a Ducati ST.

Yeah, different era but still a smooth as triple: nice bike for it's day!

http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/laverda/laverda_rgs.htm

DAV-3
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Springtime, and the air is filled with the rumbling sound of 1600 cc pure Harley-Davidson power pushing through finely-tuned Rhinehart pipes...

dwburman
03-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I used to have a modified a Suzuki GS500e. It was fun but it slid out from under me on a sharp turn (my fault) and it just wasn't quite as much fun after that. I ended up selling it and paying off my car. I didn't get hurt in the accident because I was wearing full gear and it wasn't terribly high speed. I didn't think it bothered me much psychologically either, but coming up on turns didn't hold as much joy as it did before my wipe out.

At least it was a $2,000 bike and not a $15,000 one. :)

Looking at it now kinda makes me miss it.

Drocket
03-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I used to have a modified a Suzuki GS500e. It was fun but it slid out from under me on a sharp turn (my fault) and it just wasn't quite as much fun after that. I ended up selling it and paying off my car. I didn't get hurt in the accident because I was wearing full gear and it wasn't terribly high speed. I didn't think it bothered me much psychologically either, but coming up on turns didn't hold as much joy as it did before my wipe out.

At least it was a $2,000 bike and not a $15,000 one. :)

Looking at it now kinda makes me miss it.

Hehe, that brings back memories, my brother had the same bike years ago, it was so much fun, he now has the 40th Anniversary edition R1 which is also a great bike.

SBowie
03-13-2009, 06:18 AM
My brother-in-law owned a Honda shop. My first bike was identical to this one:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Honda%20SL175%2070.jpg

The last bike I rode was the 6 cylinder, 24 valve monster below. It was like straddling a picnic table, cornered like a barge, but sure sounded awesome on a straightaway.

flakester
03-13-2009, 06:39 AM
~ This is the last bike I rode was the 6 cylinder, 24 valve monster below. It was like straddling a picnic table, cornered like a barge, but sure sounded awesome on a straightaway.

Fantastic machine! :thumbsup:
I'll always a bit of a soft spot for the big old bruisers that I grew up around; the CB900, the CBX, GS1000, and the fear-inducing Z1300. You're right though, good handling wasn't high on the 'must have' lists for most of the old numbers! ~8-\

--
flakester.

SBowie
03-13-2009, 07:25 AM
You're right though, good handling wasn't high on the 'must have' lists for most of the old numbers!The 6-cylinder inline was so 'fat' I'm not sure it would have been possible to drop it. Leaning was a matter of a degree or two. :p

Somewhere or other I have a tape recording made when I passed a stationary mic at ... errr... a 'triple digit' speed on a long, flat Manitoba highway. I dredge it out and play it once and a while just to clear the sludge out of my bloodstream. Just thinking about it raises the hair on the back of my neck.

When I was about 18, I spent 3 days in hospital after totaling my first bike (the SL175 above) in the obligatory motorcycle accident. Nice bike, but apparently not up to smacking a '65 Ford Galaxy at 50mph. For a little while afterward, I was condemned to driving my dad's car again. I was soooooo bored that more than once I found myself doing about 35 mph on the highway out to my girlfriend's house in the country. I had simply drifted off somewhere in my thoughts and forgot I really should be driving faster. I bought a used CL450 with the insurance money.

SBowie
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I used to have a modified a Suzuki GS500e. It was fun but it slid out from under me on a sharp turn (my fault) and it just wasn't quite as much fun after that.Reminds me of the night I ran over a skunk (both wheels, bump-bump). :p

I saw it in the beam of my headlight, but couldn't alter my line because I was banked for a turn and doing about 65 mph. That I didn't wipe out baffles me to this day.