PDA

View Full Version : Transformer Train

dandeentremont
03-07-2009, 01:27 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/papalive/EMAIL.jpg

Some of you may already be familiar with this animation I did, but I thought I'd post it, as I have improved the voxels and finally uploaded it in "HD" on youtube :)

Train Animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2yigliim0U&feature=channel_page&fmt=22)

It's Lightwave with plenty of AE compositing.

COBRASoft
03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
You are insane! What an amazing quality.

Congrats!

Larry_g1s
03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
You da man. I love this animation!

H_Molla
03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
we want to see making off & some of your tips for this project.. sharing in caring.. scene files will be much appreciated to make LW community more stronger in understanding that any thing can be done with LW.

Cageman
03-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Haha...

I giggle everytime I see this animation... it's sooo good!

Well done! 5 stars from me!

:thumbsup:

CallMeCG
03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Very coll aniamtion and model of the robot! I'm insanely impressed by this motions! But i think it is possible to do some shading tweaks and texturing to get even more realistic and dramatic look. Also dust cloud from the ground needs more detail, some kind of trails for example. Like in real world relatively bigger clumps emits smaller pieces that more affected by air. But i still love this animation!

:thumbsup:

geo_n
03-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Very cool! Looks like in the same style as the movie robot design. Would love to see the other robot do his transformation before the climactic punch.

M-X
03-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Really very cool!!

lwanmtr
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Excellent...I cant even begin to figure out how you set all that up

Matt
03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Better transformation than any in the actual film!

Skinner3D
03-10-2009, 07:58 AM
:D Haha. I most definately have seen this movie several times before this post and thoroughly enjoy it.

How did you decide which parts on the train became legs,arms, etc on the robot?

dandeentremont
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
The only parts that i really thought out 100% were the front of the train becoming the chest and the cylinder piston things becoming the lower arms. After that, I designated random different sections of the train to different body parts. In the end, when i only had the lower legs (train cabin) left to do, there was a bit more mass than i needed, so i just packed everything together as tightly as I could.

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Firstly, awesome.
Secondly, AWESOME!
Thirdly, that is better than the move.
Fourth, Seems appropriate to take off the -ly from now on.
Fifth, Describe your process a bit more.
Lastly, Surely you didn't do this in LW as it doesn't have suitable animation tools? I've heard it said they are ...non-existant.
Amazing. Kudos to you for a job well done.

Andyjaggy
03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah he couldn't have done that in Lightwave. It's a lie. Lightwave doesn't have suitable animation tools to do something like that. :)

dandeentremont
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
The rig was actually a bit tricky to work with since this was the "pre-simple IK/FK blending" era. I also had to use constraints in lieu of dynamic parenting because parenter was not working exactly as I wanted (i think it was because i was using bones instead of objects). After the initial transformation, however, animating was not tough.
I made a short continuation of the punch that is untextured and unlit, which I will eventually get on youtube.

As far as the process goes, in a nutshell I:
-Modeled a train
-Cut it up into pieces
-Gave every piece a weightmap (usually named with the body part it would attach to)
-Layout
-Made a "skeleton" of the main bones (upper arm, upper leg, chest, etc) and rigged it with constraints and IK and such.
-Gave every piece a bone with the same name as it's weightmap.
-Made each piece a child of the appropriate "main skeleton" body part
-Went to frame 20 or so and placed all of the parts into their transformed position and rotation, so it looked like the transformer in it's final transformed state.
-After I was sure that the humanoid form looked good, I began to animate.
-Texture, lighting, rendering, comping, etc.
-????
-Profit!

Of course this process involved many many trips back to modeler to tweak weights and such.

JasonMaynard
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Awesome work Dan!... It never gets old watching that :)

RebelHill
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
christ on a bike....

5 stars

Titus
03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Quality stuff! a little tweak on lighting and is worth a shot in a movie.

monovich
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
so good, and mindbendingly beyond anything I could ever figure out.

author
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
nice, REALLY nice!

m0184you
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Really nice. Hi quality stuff!

Kabaal
03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Gobsmacked!!
5 out of 5 :thumbsup:

Just curious but how long did this take you to do?

dandeentremont
03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
There were some week long breaks in between, but about 5 months total.

thekho
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Very Impressive work :thumbsup:

dandeentremont
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I made a short continuation of the punch that is untextured and unlit, which I will eventually get on youtube.
The time is now eventually (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3QEueCqOI&feature=channel_page&fmt=18).
The animation has a lot of fine tuning to do :)

OnlineRender
03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Spot on hard to fault , motions great , defermotion of character is excellent , and its transformers yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

A Mejias
04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Dude! Kickass!

JMCarrigan
04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I am SO gonna teach myself how to do that! And I mean it. WOW!

Hopper
04-12-2009, 12:18 AM
The time is now eventually (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3QEueCqOI&feature=channel_page&fmt=18).
The animation has a lot of fine tuning to do :)
Even untextured - awesome. The dynamics are outstanding.

Care to post the untextured version of the first part on the Tube too?

dandeentremont
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Even untextured - awesome. The dynamics are outstanding.

Care to post the untextured version of the first part on the Tube too?

I'd be happy to, but it could take a while, as I don't have an untextured render at the moment and I might require a farm to get it finished within this year :)

OnlineRender
04-13-2009, 04:06 AM
man you just dont get bored of watchin this , every time i watch i see something new , you should make a full length video , who cares about transformers when you have a train that kicks *** , you should call it Thomas The TANK :P nice work dude , job worthy !

ural
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
awsome work man
did u use relativity too?
why dont u make a tutorial?

dandeentremont
04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
awsome work man
did u use relativity too?
why dont u make a tutorial?

Nah I didn't use relativity in this rig (lack of knowing it well enough) for dynamic parenting and switching between ik and fk, i just used constraints.

I did have follower on every piece on the left side of the train. This allowed me to animate the right side pieces and the left side would follow (in a mirrored way)
Here's what the follower settings look like:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/papalive/mirred.jpg

I'm afraid I don't have a tutorial on the train and I'm pretty sure one will never be made. However, someone else has made a transformer tutorial:
http://www.tutorialhero.com/click-29029-making_of_autobot,_transformers.php

To see the tutorial, just click on the link that says ">>>>>> Link to the tutorial on 3dtotal.com"

The tutorial is not super in depth as I'm sure many would like it to be, but it is definitely something to start on.

ural
04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks dandeentremont

JohnMarchant
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Just seen this in this months 3D World mag, did you do this dandeentremont

dandeentremont
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, they asked me to do a tutorial for the magazine :P It's not a very good tutorial, mind you, but it does cover the important basic concepts :)

JohnMarchant
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Well i thought it was ok. I think the scene files with it could have been better or maybe its the way i used them. Seem to be a few errors in it, would have been good to see the particle stuff as well

JamesCurtis
07-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Agree about wanting to see the particles work as well in the tutorial scenes.

dandeentremont
07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
There was a lot of comp work done on the voxels to make them look like they did in the final version. Also a lot of real-world smoke effects were added to enhance the realism. Voxels alone can be a bit limiting in some situations.

JohnMarchant
07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
There was a lot of comp work done on the voxels to make them look like they did in the final version. Also a lot of real-world smoke effects were added to enhance the realism. Voxels alone can be a bit limiting in some situations.

I can imagine there was, was any dynamics and collision detection used in yours

dandeentremont
07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
The only places I used collision detection was when the transformer came out of the dust cloud and when the steam emerged from the face of the train. The collision object I used was low-poly for faster calculation.

Eroneouse
07-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Very nice animation I hope, I can produce something like that, I have to admire your perseverance and skill as I know how much time and effort I have put into much more basic animation. :thumbsup:

Edit - In fact there are a lot of good work examples on this thread but still for me this one takes the cake all the way home.

Exception
07-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Simply stunning. Really amazing work. The wuality of the model and animation is outstanding. If anything I'd do some extra cinematic post work in terms of color grading, vignetting and such... but then you have to like that sort of thing :)

Really, one of the best pieces of animation I've seen coming from a single person. You know it takes entire studios to do what you just pulled off by yourself?

geo_n
07-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Really, one of the best pieces of animation I've seen coming from a single person. You know it takes entire studios to do what you just pulled off by yourself?

Definitely one of my favorite, too. Along with the citroen cm. But this is one guy and not commercial. Its impressive.

Any insight on lighting setup and render setting? Must take a long time to render a frame.

Cageman
07-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Definitely one of my favorite, too. Along with the citroen cm. But this is one guy and not commercial. Its impressive.

Any insight on lighting setup and render setting? Must take a long time to render a frame.

I think he commented on that on YouTube... the train alone was about 30 min / frame. I don't know the resolution, but I did have the first version of this animation as a 1080p QuickTime file. Even if it is just rendered in 720p, 30 min/ frame isn't that much, imho.

dandeentremont
07-11-2009, 10:37 AM
The trick was to not use radiosity :-) But i think it would have definitely helped the realism if i had used it. The lighting setup is simple, just a key light, a rim light and 2 or 3 fill lights to represent sky and ground bounce.

ary3d
07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
may be this is a little off topic, but...

http://www.tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/829/

someone copy your idea, heheh, awesome work by the way!

transformers rules

greetings, David

probiner
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
wwwwWWWWOOOOWWWwwww

Nice Transformer.

Also Laughed a lot with this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-o5b3SnJf4&feature=channel

Mr Rid
07-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Super! ...wwwhhat happens next?!

bazsa73
07-24-2009, 03:59 AM
The talking abonimation is the best!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BaWInc7NdY&feature=channel

bazsa73
07-24-2009, 04:10 AM
cool stopmotion animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r1WasN5JFQ&feature=related

dandeentremont
07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Super! ...wwwhhat happens next?!

If you haven't seen it already, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3QEueCqOI&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

But beyond that, I don't have much else for the train. I'm in the process of modeling the Bagger 288 for a transformation, which is not likely to be finished in the next five years :-)

claudians
08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
That is absolutely stunning work. I am in awe! I hope some day I can be as good. How long did it take to do this?