PDA

View Full Version : Point normals - Boolean, Knife, Dril...etc

isx
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi all
I have problem probebly with point normals.

For example create cylinder and delete top poly. Extrude whole object to create some thickness.
Return new polygons to the previous position and then PointNormalMove tool.
Bottom is OK, bat top doesnt look right at all. I think that problem is in point normal.
I have this problem after using Boolean tool, Knife tool and similar.
How can I edit them ? Any plugin or did I do something wrong ? Please help.
:help:

skywalker113
03-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I dont quite understand. Are you trying to create a hollow cylinder with boolean tools and its not working?

isx
03-07-2009, 12:16 AM
No,
problem is that after using, for example boolean and then using tools which working with point normals (Point normal move). This tools does not work properly !
My problem is that every point is moving diferent direction.
See atached images.

I need something what align point normals!

Silkrooster
03-07-2009, 05:23 PM
After doing any booleans make sure you do a point merge.
As for your last image, it looks like you have some 2 point polys which can happen using some of the tools. Press w for statistics, make sure your are in poly selection mode ctrl-h.
Find 2 vertices, if it is not greyed out click the plus sign before it to select them. Now hit the delete key(only if you have 2 point polys to delete).

Before doing the above make sure nothing is selected hit the / key is anything is highlighted.

isx
03-08-2009, 06:47 AM
No,
I know what do you mean. I think that problem is in point normal.
I found that if I use size tool an then point normal tool and then undo all this two steps then normal is aligned. Try it acording my first step with cylinder.
Exuse for my english and Thank you for your answers. And I hope that AutoDesk DO NOT BY THE LIGHTWAVE.:):):)

RudySchneider
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
isx ---
Your English is fine. I would caution you to not be too critical of a program that you obviously do not yet fully understand. As with most things, there is more than one approach to a problem, and just like carpentry, it usually comes down to selecting the proper tool. Moreover, different tools may give different results, depending on the Action Center "Mode" you're using.

For instance, while you may feel that moving point normals is the proper approach to what you're trying to do, I would have selected the polygons at the ends of your cylinder, and used multishift to create the thickness, followed by bridging. This would give you a hollow tube with a given thickness, like a pipe.

Silkrooster
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Yep going the way your instructions are, I do see the issue. I am using 9.6 on windows XP BTW.
That being said try the video tutorials on my website. I have one for creating a pipe. It does not require the use of the extrude tool or the point normal move tool. You may have better luck.

Here is my result of extruding the cylinder, moving points back to location then using point normal move to increase the thickness.

isx
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I found the Thickener plugin from Blochi. That is what I exactly need. :thumbsup:
Bat thank you very much for your help !
:lwicon: