PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Ask about Vista 64 bit on new i7 sys

JMCarrigan
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
If anyone who knows is still poking around here, I have the system up and running, I've backed up using acronis before I continue installing programs etc.

I've noticed some things that I consider weird. The drives are labeled ide except the system drive which, at one point came up as scsi. One of the four caviars is labeled secondary, the other three are slaves. Every drive is hooked up to the mobo's sata headers.

And lastly, vista ultimate 64 keeps telling me my user control account is disabled. I know that. Anyone know how to make the message go away...

oh! what about putting windows 7 rightover the top of this now so I can get used to that by the time it's released. I hear there's a release candidate out which I assume will upgrade the beta I have. No?

TIA

JamesCurtis
03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
As far as the UAC is concerned, there is a setting in the security panel to turn off notifications by the tray, but can't remember where to change it ATM.

hrgiger
03-07-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm pretty sure you go to the security center (the little red shield in your system tray) and there should be a link on the side that says change the way security center alerts me.

IMI
03-07-2009, 04:36 AM
I'm pretty sure you go to the security center (the little red shield in your system tray) and there should be a link on the side that says change the way security center alerts me.

Yeah, but it's a little more convoluted than just that. He was talking about the UAC messages, I think, like all that UAC crap you get, such as warnings about how your computer is going to blow up and kill everyone in your neighborhood if you don't immediately re-enable SuperNanny Mode.

Going just by memory here since I really can't remember all I had to do (and I don't hear a peep out of Vista anymore, just reserved complacency), the basic security center alert stuff is just for things like the firewall and updates and stuff.

JMCarrigan
03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I found it somewhere ya'll, No longer bugging me. Can't wait for Windows 7. Anyway, everything seems to be functioning correctly now - and quickly I say. Snick, snick.

I believe I've got the drive business straightened out too. Thanks. (Got a wedding today...)

IMI
03-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Here's a good page for some Vista tweaks: LINKY. (http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_4.html)
Has a workable registry hack to forever end Vista's penchant for changing your folder views according to what it thinks you *really* meant when you said "apply to all folders".
Other good tweaks and hacks there too, as well as links to other articles.

I thought this attached picture was an overall really good representation of a Vista which hasn't been cowed into compliance yet. ;)

JMCarrigan
03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Tha's funny!

IMI
03-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Tha's funny!

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I could write for hours about what I think about Vista's maternal instinct, but that pretty much sums it up completely. ;)

Incidentally, that registry hack for keeping Vista from changing your folder views randomly works perfectly and has not caused a single problem for me on the two PC's I've done it on. Vista re-writes the info you delete anyway, but the folder view problem disappears entirely. I guess the new information you add to it regulates how Vista deals with the values in the keys it apparently keeps adding.
*shrug* Registry hacking isn't really my thing, but this is easy and safe.
Maybe you've not seen that behavior in Vista, I don't know, but it gets incredibly annoying after a while.

cresshead
03-08-2009, 04:48 AM
also vista suks at extracting zips with a lot of small files...i find it quicker to move the zip to my xp netbook..unzip then move the extracted zip back to "windows Blister 64!"

how poo is that!...was exracting a zip today on blister and it said 1.2hours at 17k per seconds!....f n rubbish!!!

IMI
03-08-2009, 04:57 AM
also vista suks at extracting zips with a lot of small files...i find it quicker to move the zip to my xp netbook..unzip then move the extracted zip back to "windows Blister 64!"

how poo is that!...was exracting a zip today on blister and it said 1.2hours at 17k per seconds!....f n rubbish!!!

You got something bad wrong going on there. Winrar unzips small (and large) files faster than I can even notice and packs 'em up pretty damn fast too. I would guess some hyperactive anti-virus, or you have every last bit of Vista nannyware in action, checking it out, byte by byte.

cresshead
03-08-2009, 05:51 AM
You got something bad wrong going on there. Winrar unzips small (and large) files faster than I can even notice and packs 'em up pretty damn fast too. I would guess some hyperactive anti-virus, or you have every last bit of Vista nannyware in action, checking it out, byte by byte.

no virus..never connected to the net....it's a known crap thing about vista and zips with lots of small files...vista suks does it on all 3 vista machines
including the workstation that has never connected to the net.

xp machines are fine

i'm not using winrar...winrar runs fine i'm talking about zip files unzipped with vista...othewise i'd talk about winrar wouldn't i!!!!!

UAC is on 2 machines...doesn't make a difference//
avg is my virus protection.

it's vista being poo....

IMI
03-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Um, well, OK. Not sure why you'd want to use Vista to unzip files if it's slow, especially considering winzip and winrar are free (except for the nag), but if that's how you'd rather go about it, have at it. :)

cresshead
03-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Um, well, OK. Not sure why you'd want to use Vista to unzip files if it's slow, especially considering winzip and winrar are free (except for the nag), but if that's how you'd rather go about it, have at it. :)

well i just switched net pc's from my samsung xp netbook to an acer laptop with vista...new pc not much s/ware on it yet...workstations only have the apps i use not filled with crap all over the place....and yeah winrar is okay but vista is surposed to be better than xp..but in moving small files and unzipping the native o/s decompression system is rather lacking and works more like a 286 not a quadcore!:D

so you have to use 3rd party zip/rar

seeing as we're talking about the o/s i though it would be prudent to bring up the issue of what vista is poo at...:thumbsup:

IMI
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
seeing as we're talking about the o/s i though it would be prudent to bring up the issue of what vista is poo at...:thumbsup:

Ah OK, I see.
Well, if that's the worst "poo" you find in your Vista adventures, consider yourself lucky. ;)

I've managed to de-pooify mine fairly well, but there's probably alot I'll never notice, such as what you say with the file decompression. Believe it or not, it was only last year I learned that Windows could do it at all. I always assumed you had to have Winzip or something.

JMCarrigan
03-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that Vista tweaks pointer! This sure has kept me off the boards - building a new system. I dislike XP all of a sudden. I'm reloading my XPS Gen 5 and it is not anywhere near as friendly as Vista Ultimate, i.e., I still have a ton of stuff to add. I feel like putting Windows 7 on it just to see what happens as far as drivers for the tuner and sb audigy etc.