PDA

View Full Version : vertex normals bug. please help.

monovich
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I've got a car model brought in from Maya as an obj. I'm using the vertex normals for smoothing on the car and I'm getting problems I can't figure out.

In OpenGL (both multitexuring and GLSL) the vertex normals look fantastic and are doing what they are supposed to, but when I render I'm getting very nasty artifacts in the render. FPrime doesn't show the artifacts but it can't see the vertex normals. I was under the impression that it could...

Regardless of FPrime, I need to solve this issue in the native renderer. I've tried merging polys, flipping polys unifying polys, and everything else that comes to mind, but nothing changes the look of the problem

Has anyone seen this can anyone suggest a solution? I can't proceed on this project with this bug showing up, and am pretty screwed otherwise.

I was thinking of trying the Trueart vertex normals plugin, but that is my last option, and I should be good go go with this in native 9.6. I've tried 32bit and 64bit, by the way...

thanks,

-SF

monovich
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
also, the classic camera renders this even worse, almost completely black...

monovich
03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
hmm... strange...

when you bring in the obj fresh it works, but if you scale, rotate or otherwise manipulate the mesh, it all falls apart. definitely buggy.

Sensei
03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I was under the impression that it could...

I am afraid that Fprime/Kray/TrueHair/VirtualRender render correct OBJ vertex normals only when using mine TrueOBJImport node.. LW v9.6 OBJ vertex normals are only for LW native renderer..

I've tried merging polys, flipping polys unifying polys, and everything else that comes to mind, but nothing changes the look of the problem

You absolutely cannot edit object in Modeler, because it'll destroy imported from OBJ vertex normals...

Sensei
03-06-2009, 08:40 PM
when you bring in the obj fresh it works, but if you scale, rotate or otherwise manipulate the mesh, it all falls apart.

You should be able to scale with exactly the same value in all axes.. Or move all points (must be always all). Rotate, edit mesh, definitely cannot be done in Modeler..

definitely buggy.

It's not buggy. The same happens when you have baked normal map image..

monovich
03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Sensei,

Thanks for the info! I did end up finding a workaround, which as you say is basically to not make any modifications to the mesh. Its a bit tricky because LW imports the OBJ at the wrong scale, so setting up surfaces that are scale dependant is a bit of a chore.

thanks again,

-sf