PDA

View Full Version : Is there an .svg importer for modeler?

dwburman
03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I was wondering if there was an importer for modeler that will take an svg and make curves or polys. Basically I'm looking for the function of EPSFimport that will work with .svg files. I don't have Illustrator and it would be nice to use something like Inkscape in conjuction with LW.

JeffrySG
03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
I never heard of any. Does Inkscape export as an EPS or AI?

If you ever have a SVG file that you need saved as an Illustrator or EPS file I'd be happy to convert it for you.

borkus
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
My computer is not running that well today, but I opened OpenOffice Draw, and it can load an .eps file and export as .svg, and vica versa. Like I said though, I haven't tested it. Have to tackle getting my computer fixed first. But, maybe this will point you in a good direction. If you don't have OpenOffice, here is the link (http://www.openoffice.org/). It is a pretty handy app to have and I recommend it. It's a little bulky in size, but has many things that I have been using for some time now. And, it's open source.

dwburman
03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Inkscape does save to .eps but the files it outputs won't load in LW. There are no error messages but no geometry is created. When I saved the flag image as a dxf, only the union jack part of the flag showed up.

I thought about using Blender to convert the file since it supposedly can make paths from an .svg but it wouldn't load the flag either. When I made a made a simple object in inkscape, I could import it into Blender but it was kind of messed up.

Right now, the Inkscape I have on my main workstation (MacPro OS X 10.5) doesn't see any keystrokes so it's kind of limited in what it can do now anyway.

I tried using open office, but I don't know how to load an svg in it. When I try to open the file it comes in as a text doc and it doesn't show up as a recognized file type in the insert image file requester.

This isn't something I need working right now but I'd like to be able to use this tech.

JeffrySG
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that file is set up really poorly for LW use, just fyi. There are too many boxes overlaying other boxes, etc. It should be much simpler even if you did have illustrator. Try to redraw it just using the simplest form you can. A simple box for each horizontal line. One shape for each visual color area you see. This file looks like it came from some inexpensive clip art. Which is ok for graphic design usage but really bad for importing into a 3d app.

You can see how many parts are used to construct that flag. (I've moved them around so you can see it better)
That would never import correctly. It would be much easier to simply re-trace that right in LW. Typically LW EPS import works best with no overlapping shapes or only overlapping shapes where you need to cut out or boolian an inside area, etc. When I'm importing shapes or getting ready to draw something in illustrator I always try to think how I want the object to actually be built in 3d. Think about how you'd like the 3d object to be composed, etc.

If you need some assistance or tips on that aspect just let me know.

Mr_Dope
03-07-2009, 08:49 AM
An easy way to get your Inkscape geometry into LightWave is to use the linux version, so you can go direct from Inkscape to LightWave via the Illustrator file format.

archijam
03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Can't you use Inkscape itself ?

*checks*

use the pathfinder type functions to clean away anything overlaying, then re-export ...

ok that's annoying, eps doesn't work - must be too recent a version.

I managed to have success with the following:

1) save as DXF
2)open in LW
3)shapes are then lines but thats ok:
4)but make a square in another layer
5)stencil square with dxf content
6)product was an accurate, separate collection of faces.

dwburman
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

I've used the stencil technique with paths exported from Photoshop (Export Paths to Illustrator).

I just wish LW was better at importing vector art. The EPSF loader has had the same functionality since it was first introduced. It only loads the same old formats and I think it'd be cool if it could extrude and bevel shapes automatically. Of course, there may be licensing or technical reasons LW can't import pdfs. Now there is an open standard for vector art (svg) and it would be nice to have direct access to it.

:)

Spaceboy64
10-27-2015, 09:09 PM
I just wish LW was better at importing vector art. The EPSF loader has had the same functionality since it was first introduced. It only loads the same old formats and I think it'd be cool if it could extrude and bevel shapes automatically. Of course, there may be licensing or technical reasons LW can't import pdfs. Now there is an open standard for vector art (svg) and it would be nice to have direct access to it.

:)
I second this. I do not have Illustrator either, I use Inkscape, but Inkscape will not save the older version of EPS. DXF doesn't seem to work either. I can't get my vector art into Lightwave. Someone should work on a plug-in. Even paths out of Photoshop will not import.

Dexter2999
10-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Would be nice to have SVG support directly. Perhaps using Blender? Then save out as OBJ? Not ideal but works.

Yet another reason for LW users to have Blender on their machines.

tischbein3
10-27-2015, 11:12 PM
This isn't something I need working right now but I'd like to be able to use this tech.
Well I've written an svg importer wich can be downloaded here:
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:cuv&catid=11:lightwaveplugins&Itemid=161
but for some unkown reasons this also fails miserably on your flag file.

Problem is, there aren't that much svg reader libraries out there wich can be integrated into a closed source program.
And those I've found do have some issues correctly parsing svg files.
(And doing it from scratch needs a lot of investment in time and energy)

Anyway, if someone is aware of a library, wich is pretty good, and can be used in a closed sourced plugin,
I might take a look at it again.

tischbein3
10-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Addendum: Had more time checking it out:
If you save it as an "Optimized svg" my importer does import the file correctly. (Although you still have to fix the z order)

hop ethis helps

chris

JoePoe
10-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Hey Chris, this looks like a Godsend for many.
Any chance for a MAC version? :angel:

tischbein3
10-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Source code is included in the plugin, so if you know someone who wants to compile this.... :)

and don't have that high hopes, this thing is really very simple / not very sophisticated

caustix
10-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I was able to do it entirely without any special tool ... I took a SVG file, opened it in Safari, then choose "Print" => "Save as Postscript". Open the result in LW importing as EPS.

In the first window it says "albatroz.idraw" but it is a SVG file imported into iDraw. I did the Postscript conversion thru the Print command in both apps iDraw and Safari ... yielding the same result. Both imported into LW w/o any loss but with two extra boxes. This may be the object and page boundaries generated thru the printer command.

Perhaps this is one way to go ... at least for Mac users.

Regards.