PDA

View Full Version : Connecting component out from Sony DSR-300 DVCAM camera to Newtek SX-8

jbm
03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm trying to find a simple way to get a component signal directly from a Sony DSR-300 DVCAM camera to the SX-8 breakout box. Sony says I need a "CCZRGB2" cable, but I haven't been able to locate one. Any ideas?

Thanks

jbm

Rich Deustachio
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Why can't you just use the s-video?

Won't the component out from the 300 work with the component in on the SX-8?

jbm
03-06-2009, 08:08 AM
The process and connections for getting the component signal out of the Sony DSR-300 is a riddle wrapped inside a mystery. No mention in the DSR-300 manual, and Sony tech support was not very helpful. I'm trying to get the best signal possible from the camera for chroma key work and component should be inherently better than s-video even though s-video is a simpler connection on this gear.

steveg
04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I have never gotten an acceptable video signal from any DVcam, DVC-Pro or any DV tape the colors are not recorded on tape in fine enough quality to make a decent edge, I now shoot all my chromakeys in BetaCam SP and I can even import with composite and get a perfect edge for chromakey.

billmi
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Going component out of the camera straight to the VT would bypass the compression used when recording to tape.

steveg
04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the compression has already happened when you recorded the signal on your DV tape. no component output is ever going to recover the amount of compression that happened to your signal by recording to tape. Approxs. 5 times compressed. Sorry to bring you bad news.

SBowie
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Steve, I think you missed Bill's point.

Rich Deustachio
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I looked at a buddy of mines DSR-300 and the component out is a round connector with many small pins. This is similar to my old JVCX2 had for the y/c output.

You need a special cable either from Sony or a custom made one from a video repair place. I had mine made from Total Video in South Jersey who is the company I use for service, so you might want to contact your local video service comany to see if they can make up a cable for you.

You can also try and find out from Sony what the pins output and make up a custom cable yourself if your handy.

Here is a link to B&H that shows the output connector on the 300 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49219-REG/Sony_CCZZ1B_CCZZ_1B_26_Pin_Barrel_type_Cable.html

ScorpioProd
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, component out from a DSR-300 isn't a common thing. It requires a special cable going to the 26-pin VTR connection. The Sony cable isn't cheap.

Rich Deustachio
04-03-2009, 02:50 PM
If you buy this cable

http://expandore.com/product/Sony/Proav/model/Production_Cameras/CCZ_ACable.htm

and cut off one end, then you can make up the component outputs if you know what each pin location means.

more 26 pin stuff http://www.markertek.com/ProdList.asp?cat=CABLESCONN&subcat=VCONNECT&prodClass=26CON&search=0&off=0

ScorpioProd
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I also think you'd be better off just going with the Y/C (S-video) connection.

The DSR-300 is a good camera, but I'm not sure you'd get a signficantly better signal from component after going through all that trouble. On a much higher level camera, yes.

If you haven't tried Y/C, you should.

billmi
04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the compression has already happened when you recorded the signal on your DV tape.

While that is true, it's a different bubble.

no component output is ever going to recover the amount of compression that happened to your signal by recording to tape. Approxs. 5 times compressed.

True, but only if one is capturing video from a pre-recorded tape, and I didn't catch that as part of the question.

Jbm asked about feeding a signal from camera to the VT. By going directly from the camera to the VT, the format of the camera's recording deck and what compression it may or may not use becomes irrelevant, since they are not used.

Using the analog capture in VT a variety of recording formats are then available, including uncompressed.

Tim Ward
04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Rich was close, but the cable you need is a Sony CCZ-RGB cable (or equivalent), such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/166279-REG/Comprehensive_E26J_3BP_10_26_Pin_Female_to_3.html. Markertek also sells them; just choose your length.

It will work fine. I have a couple of DSR-370's with CCU-M5A's for live work, which also gives you Y'Pb'Pr outputs from the camera.

And yes, the Y'Pb'Pr output from the camera is going to be better quality than DV25, since it is straight out of the camera section.

Tim

Adam_LightPlay
05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I've been using a DSR-200 for years, for chromakey thru the VT. I've always used Y/C and I've gotten great results. It's Composite, that really sucks cause of the shimmer and dot crawl, but with a Good S-Video cable it looks pretty darn good.